Old 09-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #21

City: St. Petersburg
Glad to hear the good news and very glad that you took this situation as seriously as you did!

The threat of electric shock drowning is real in fresh water. Watch the video of my friend Kevin Ritz recounting the death by ESD of his son Lucas. It will break your heart and forever imprint the danger of ESD in your brain.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #22

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Sarah McLean
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot
dock diving to check prop

The last time we chartered a boat in Anacortes Washington, the charter company staff used an underwater drone with a camera to check the prop and rudder when we returned.

(the next thing will be a robo hull cleaner?)
adornato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #23
Rip

City: Campbell Creek, NC
Vessel Name: Lab Partners
Vessel Model: Monk 36
You mean like this Boat wash from Drive-in Boatwashâ„¢ | Drive-in Boatwash ?
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
We have a GoPro on a long telescoping pole that we can check our props and rudders without gettin in the water. Inexpensive in the long run. I don’t like electric shock treatment although some say I need it.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
We have a GoPro on a long telescoping pole that we can check our props and rudders without gettin in the water. Inexpensive in the long run. I don’t like electric shock treatment although some say I need it.
Brilliant! Now I know what I’m getting the Mrs. for Christmas.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #26
Guru

It’s a really good video camera too.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #27

City: Kingston,WA
Vessel Name: Arctic Tern
Vessel Model: Kuipers 50
You ask about diving on a boat in fresh water. Is it less dangerous to dive in salt water?
Allan Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

I tried that very thing earlier in the week. It works well. Us you can’t tell where you are pointing the camera. I need a longer pole as well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #29
Guru

Dave

You need to put an index mark on the pole so you can tell what direction the lens is pointed. My pole expands (no dirty minds) to about 12 feet, standing on the swim platform makes it easy.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #30
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Dave

You need to put an index mark on the pole so you can tell what direction the lens is pointed. My pole expands (no dirty minds) to about 12 feet, standing on the swim platform makes it easy.

Ah, good idea. I tried it with a short grip and so was a bit too close. Thinking about it now, I would do it in time lapse mode and high resolution. That way individual photos could be studied carefully and zoomed in on.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #31
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Reese View Post
You ask about diving on a boat in fresh water. Is it less dangerous to dive in salt water?
There are hundreds of divers in the water every day cleaning SoCal boats in salt. I am sure someone can find a case somewhere, but I don’t recall anyone getting shocked in recent memory. I am in the water with the boat, while it is energized, every day while aboard.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #32
Guru

Never used time lapse but may try it. Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #33

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Reese View Post
Technically, yes, but don't bet your life on it. It has to do with the voltage gradient in water. In fresh, which doesn't conduct all that well, the gradient is higher across a given distance than in salt water, and the human body is more conductive than fresh water. Stretching out your arms to span a big gradient results in you conducting enough current to cause you to tense and stop breathing and moving. Salt water, which conducts much better, will have a lower voltage difference between the same two points, so you're conducting less current all things being equal.

You don't have to stretch your arms out, by the way; I was just using it for illustration purposes. But if you feel funny in the water next to a boat or dock, the advice is to pull it all in to make yourself small (lower voltage difference extremities within a given gradient), and if possible, swim away from the boat, dock, or whatever could possibly be causing the leakage. But if you're in real trouble, you won't be able to do anything.

I've always heard there have been no reported cases of ESD in salt water, but it's often misunderstood and not considered in investigations so who knows. And I don't believe a medical examiner can tell the difference between ESD and 'regular' drowning, so it's probably way underreported no matter what the salinity is.

But at least it's getting publicized now. I told my now 85 YO FIL about it long ago, and he told me it was 'common practice' many decades ago, at least among his boating buddies, to snip the ground connection to the power pedestal to reduce galvanic corrosion on your boat. Any ground fault would, of course, energize the water through whatever is bonded to the ground bus.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #34
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Angus99, climb on to your swim platform and stick your hand in the water. If there is an issue you will feel it immediately and you will be able to pull your hand out. If you feel nothing then you are good to go under your boat, just don’t head towards any other boat.
"Test first" is usually my approach to almost anything. I prefer to check with a meter first. Years ago we were trained to touch with the back of your hand. A shock will make your muscles contract. Muscle contractions will more likely pull your hand away and break contact if you touch with the back of your hand. Contractions can form the "death grip" if you touch with the front of your hand. No guarantees either way.

I have a little Zenon bulb tester. I think it's Zenon. It's cheap at the hardware store. It glows from a stray current. I hold one end and touch a suspect circuit with the other end. Usually I am doing this after I think I have turned-off power to the circuit. I don't remember ever testing liquid with it.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #35
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
"Test first" is usually my approach to almost anything. I prefer to check with a meter first. Years ago we were trained to touch with the back of your hand. A shock will make your muscles contract. Muscle contractions will more likely pull your hand away and break contact if you touch with the back of your hand. Contractions can form the "death grip" if you touch with the front of your hand. No guarantees either way.

I have a little Zenon bulb tester. I think it's Zenon. It's cheap at the hardware store. It glows from a stray current. I hold one end and touch a suspect circuit with the other end. Usually I am doing this after I think I have turned-off power to the circuit. I don't remember ever testing liquid with it.
This goes back to my post here:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40299

Test it or even better for your safety get someone else test it on your behalf lol

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #36
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
This goes back to my post here:
Generator / inverter shock risk - Trawler Forum

Test it or even better for your safety get someone else test it on your behalf lol

L.
I forgot about that thread. I love that thread.

There should probably be a pecking order in the Rules of the Road for testing the water.

Rule one: DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH YOUR OPEN HAND. Touch it with the back of one of your ex-wife's hands.

Rule two: If none of your ex-wives is around, touch it with a Nutria.

Rule three: If none of the aforementioned is available, push your wife overboard. If she floats, she's a witch.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote