Old 04-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

City: Russell NZ
Vessel Name: MV Unique
Vessel Model: Salthouse Coastal 35
Angry Opencpn/gps issue

Can someone help me please I have Opencpn V4 installed with charts an working I have a BU353S4 installed and working ie when turned on shows satellites in range and associated data however my GPS is not talking to my charts. When OPencpn opened and gps working there is no icon or other indication on my charts that they are working together
Phil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

I should have mentioned I am running Windows 10 and all was fine until I had to reset my computer
Old 04-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I recomend you contact the manufacturer of the software.......
Old 04-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Got to find the correct Com Port.

Are you opening the GPS debug window to see if data is being transmitted?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Yes GPS is transmitting data and I am in the right comport I have also checked with my devise manager which shows all good, correct comport and driver
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
At opencpn.org click the "Forums" tab at the top of the page. That will take you to the users forum. You'll find lots of help there.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: kemah
I believe thats the same gps I use with opencpn on win10, no issues.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
I believe thats the same gps I use with opencpn on win10, no issues.
Yup, same here.

I don't use it as my main navigation tool, but could if my Garmin failed. It's great for sitting down on the couch or at a table and planning trips or next day runs on the laptop. Something I can't do with the chart plotter which is hard mounted to the console.

I'm looking at installing an all-in-one PC with a 19' screen at the main console and running OpenCPN or similar software on it. Cost is between $400 and $800 depending on the PC you buy. Has anyone else done this?

Example:
Dell OptiPlex 3030 - All-in-one - 1 x Core i5 4590S / 3 GHz - RAM 4 GB - HDD 500 GB - DVD-Writer - HD Graphics 4600 - GigE - WLAN : 802.11a/b/g/n - Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit $767

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...913&CatId=3839
Old 04-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
There are times when I have had an issue. Moving the USB to another USB port and restarting the computer usually works.

OpenCPN is not perfect, but for free, it works fine for my purposes. Perhaps the fact that it does not and will not integrate active captian features is the reason some push to avoid it. No bother to me, though.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
I'm looking at installing an all-in-one PC with a 19' screen at the main console and running OpenCPN or similar software on it. Cost is between $400 and $800 depending on the PC you buy. Has anyone else done this?
I run mine on a dedicated laptop with a 15" widescreen. That laptop lets me take it off the boat. You dont really need a lot of horsepower as the screen redraws are pretty minimal with a slow boat.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Opencpn/gps issue

[QUOTE=Edelweiss;435944]

"I'm looking at installing an all-in-one PC with a 19' screen at the main console and running OpenCPN or similar software on it. Cost is between $400 and $800 depending on the PC you buy. Has anyone else done this?"

I have an onboard PC, not all in one though. I have a marine monitor made by Big Bay which is waterproof and very bright when needed in the sunlight. I run Coastal Explorer, which comes with 2 licenses so I installed it on my laptop as well that I use at home to plan routes. On each machine I pointed CE to read and store routes, waypoints, etc., to the same dropbox/cloud folder so whether the route is created at home or I change/create it while underway, there is only one file and it gets updated each time I save it or when the program closes. The next time I open CE, whether at home or on the boat, it is always up to date with any changes or additions. No need for updating one or the other with a flash drive. The onboard PC is networked to my Furuno GPS, depth, water temp, and heading sensor. I have an AIS receiver plugged into it as well. The only function it doesn't have is radar, which the Furuno handles well anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1461449078.750354.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	51125
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I have used both Coastal Explorer as the only navigation tool on my friend's boat for a week's cruise and I used OpenCPN on a netbook as backup which became my sole electronic navigation tool when my chartplotter's GPS failed for the last two days of a week long cruise.

I like them both. I do believe that OpenCPN has succumbed to feature creep while trying to satisfy the various members of its "committee" and will never be as robust as a solid commercial product like Coastal Explorer.

But if you need support, go to cruisersforum.com, not here. CF is the semi-official OpenCpn support forum and has its own sub forum there. The BU353 issue has been discussed many times there and the only real solution I know of is a com port utility called, Xport.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We just ran OpenCPN on Windows 10 and an iPad Air 2, side by side for ~2.5 months/1200 plus miles across Lake Okeechobee, through the Everglades, to the Bahamas and back to FL. The iPad has Garmin Blue Charts and the PC has CMap charts. As a pair they're pretty hard to beat. Each one has it's strengths but we have 2 chart plotters with an investment of less than $1200. What's not to like.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'm in a similar boat! I kinda wish I had an iPad sometimes just for the Blue Charts, but I run Navionics on my Samsung Note 8 tablet. It works well for me, especially with the upgraded barometric charts. I'm now finding fishing holes my other charts don't display.

I've been using OpenCPN for many years on an old $300 11 inch netbook. It runs great but needs occasional rebooting every few hours. Not sure why, but it's no big deal. It's my old netbook that had its motherboard corrupted so it's very likely my problem is hardware-, not software-related. I've got layers of redundancy, though, so I don't care. It's cheap and it works and it backs up my Garmin plotter and my Navionics. When I replace my current laptop, it'll serve the same duty, maybe with even better results. . Life is good!!

Time to go fishing!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:55 AM   #15

Hi guys thanks for all your comments and the debate, I have uninstalled and reinstalled both OpenCPN and BU GPS several times and my problem still exists bringind me to the conclusion I must have an OS or hardware problem as I do not know where else to go.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #16
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Cruiser forums has more direct support of OpenCPN with the developer.
It is not crappy code, why someone would say that? Rethink, why is this become so personal?

I like OpenCPN and use it.
OpenCPN - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
GPS Setup | Official OpenCPN Homepage
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I just took a look at the OpenCPN thread on CF. I've not used the software, but just reading the sheer volume of issues addressed in the 121 pages on one thread would seriously detract from boating time. Even then, I don't think I could trust the software. Considering the potential time involved to learn and troubleshoot this software, it seems very expensive.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #18
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
I just took a look at the OpenCPN thread on CF. I've not used the software, but just reading the sheer volume of issues addressed in the 121 pages on one thread would seriously detract from boating time. Even then, I don't think I could trust the software. Considering the potential time involved to learn and troubleshoot this software, it seems very expensive.
Go to windows forums like sevenforums, eightforums, tenforums.com and you will see many thousands of people having problems with windows too.
Windows 10 Forums
Windows 8 Forums
Windows 7 Help Forums

I run Ubuntu, just upgraded to 16.04 LTS. It works well for me, but lots of people who want to make it do extra stuff etc..., it is just the nature of coding and people who code.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #19

I'm back to paper charts and a wind strength wand I guess!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #20
Guru

OP:

You should have gotten a mini cd with the driver diagnostic program for the gps.

What I would do is run the diagnostic program on the cd and verify it can talk to the gps. If there is a way to reinstall the driver then do so.

If that fails then open the device manager via settings on windows. Once that open you should be able to see the list of connected devices change as you plug in the gps and unplug it. Mine shows up under Ports > Prolific usb to serial comm port (com3) when it is plugged in and disappears when I unplug it.

Once you see it right click and select properties. I have 4800 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop, no parity, no flow control. under advanced I have use fifos selected.

The old standby for windows is to uninstall the driver from here. Unplug the device, reboot the machine, and then after windows is fully up run the cd to reinstall the gps.