Tank Level monitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tidahapah

Guru
Vessel Name
Flora
Vessel Make
Timber southern cray boat
Have just bought and fitted a Gobius tank level monitoring system for my polyethelene holding tank.

So far very impressed.

No cutting or drilling, just stick 3 sensors on the outside of the tank, install the indicating panel up in the main toilet near the pump out switch, connect the system to* 12 V system and then calibrate the unit and Bob's your Uncle.

So far it is doing the job nicely and dead simple to fit.

I got mine from Defender, and must admit I knew nothing about them just bought it because it looked like what I wanted and with no cutting or drilling seemed simple.

will let you all know if I have any trouble with it in the future.

Tidahapah wrote:
Have just bought and fitted a Gobius tank level monitoring system for my polyethelene holding tank.

So far very impressed.

No cutting or drilling, just stick 3 sensors on the outside of the tank, install the indicating panel up in the main toilet near the pump out switch, connect the system to* 12 V system and then calibrate the unit and Bob's your Uncle.

So far it is doing the job nicely and dead simple to fit.

I got mine from Defender, and must admit I knew nothing about them just bought it because it looked like what I wanted and with no cutting or drilling seemed simple.

will let you all know if I have any trouble with it in the future.

I installed something similar but a different brand.* The one on the water tank works fine.* The one on the holding tank is confused by solids clinging to the inside of the tank wall and only works if I clean the inside of the tank.

I don't do that very often.

Ron, a good way to clean the inside of the tank, it works in my RV is dumping a bunch of ice cubes in there and let them bang around and knock all the paper and stuff off of the walls.

Tidahapah wrote:

So far very impressed.
******** Flyright convinced me to do the same and I love it! Sooo simple!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 07:52:51 PM

Attachments

• solo.jpg
    solo.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 241
swampu wrote:
Ron, a good way to clean the inside of the tank, it works in my RV is dumping a bunch of ice cubes in there and let them bang around and knock all the paper and stuff off of the walls.

I installed an access port in the top so it's relatively easy to clean it with a hose and or brush (except it fills the tank).* It's just that I don't get excited enough about it to do it.

It would take a lot of ice and then if you're not underway in rough seas, the ice would just sit there and melt.

I installed the monitors on my previous boat in 2005 and on my Monk in 2009 they were easy to install and worked very well.
When I bought the Monk the holding tank inside walls were caked with "crud". Every so often I'll undo the cover in the top of the tank, after pumping out, and bring a water hose down there and give the inside a good spraying then I pumpout the rinse water. this keeps the walls clean. Best done while the pumpout station is not busy as it takes a bit more time. Or at a marina with pumpout facilities at the slip.
Steve W

Cleaning and rinsing the inside of the tank is not that difficult, but dealing with the results is what keeps me from doing it more often. I wonder where the line would be drawn between discharging "sewage" and discharging water used too clean and rinse the tank?

More specifically, if I have the tank pumped and then wash and rinse the tank, would I be in violation by pumping the wash and rinse water overboard at my slip? Not that I would do that with people around, though.

rwidman wrote:
Cleaning and rinsing the inside of the tank is not that difficult, but dealing with the results is what keeps me from doing it more often. I wonder where the line would be drawn between discharging "sewage" and discharging water used too clean and rinse the tank?

More specifically, if I have the tank pumped and then wash and rinse the tank, would I be in violation by pumping the wash and rinse water overboard at my slip? Not that I would do that with people around, though.
*Even with a full holding*tank...if you macerate it and let some clorine bleach sit in it for a couple hours...it's no different than what a Lectra-san treatment is and that's a "legal" discharge in most areas.

Stay legal, I do it at pumpout station, then suck out the wash/rinse water with the pumpout hose. That's why it is best done at a time the station is not busy
(tip the guy well, you'll only need to do it a couple times a year, if that) or in a slip with pumpout facilities.

Steve W

Seahorse11

*what type of material is your holding tank made from ?* Poly,

fiberglass?* Thanks

yo wrote:
*what type of material is your holding tank made from ?* Poly,

fiberglass?*
* * * * My tank is fiber glass but the system works on poly too. (Won't work on metal tanks.)

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 127
Here is my set up poly tank 45 Gal

Attachments

• holding tank foils 1.jpg
    holding tank foils 1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 145
  • gumbo holding tank monitor panel.jpg
    gumbo holding tank monitor panel.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 139
  • gumbo holding tank monitor 004.jpg
    gumbo holding tank monitor 004.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 146
Does anyone know of a similar (exterior) system that will work on metal tanks?

Delia Rosa wrote:
Does anyone know of a similar (exterior) system that will work on metal tanks?
*I can't think of one!

Globius will work on stainless steel tanks , but not sure about mild steel.
Best to check on their web site and from there ask the question.

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Monday 23rd of January 2012 03:27:18 PM

Tidahapah wrote:
Globius will work on stainless steel tanks , but not sure about mild steel.
Best to check on their web site and from there ask the question.

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Monday 23rd of January 2012 03:27:18 PM
*Thanks for the info on Gobius... I just checked their website and they do work on stainless steel (we have a 100 gallon tank) and Defender sells it in the US for $329.99.... probably a lot cheaper than trying to change out the tank!

FF wrote:
www.thetanktender.com/about.htm

No electric , easy to clean.

Fuel, water , waste , but not cheap.
* * * ** Not a good application for monitoring a "Waste Tank "

******* They are fine (actually great!) for water & fuel tanks but terrible for waste.

I wondered about the installation 'tank tender' for waste tanks.... and thought there might be the potential for a few problems.... although as mentioned it could be the perfect solution for water or fuel.

I think that the external systems with no drilling etc are probably a better fit for us and Gobius seems to be the solution for our stainless steel tank.

Haven't talked about my tankage monitors for awhile, some might remember older posts.

Anyway, as soon as a tank monitor fails, it is removed and a sounding port is installed (except for waste).* So, I have a sounding port in each fuel and water tank.*

With the SS water tank, I have a plastic tube*with markings that is inserted in the tank, put your thumb over the tube, and view the fluid level and the nearest mark.

With the mild steel fuel tanks, I insert a tape measure and compare the inches of fuel to known quantities remaining.

With the plastic waste tank, I put a flashlight face down on the top of the tank and view the fluid level.

All of this is inexpensive, relatively accurate, relatively fail-free, maintenance free and simple.*

The biggest downside, is that it requires you to get on your knees every week or so.

-- Edited by Jay N on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 05:31:01 PM

Jay, we have sight tubes on all our tanks... water, fuel and waste. *And the water and fuel tubes are great. *Unfortunately the tubes on the waste tank are totally clouded and one can no longer see the levels.... We considered just changing the tubes, but thought maybe the exterior monitoring system might be easier as it is difficult to access the waste tank site tubes!

Delia Rosa wrote:
*Unfortunately the tubes on the waste tank are totally clouded and one can no longer see the levels.... We considered just changing the tubes, but thought maybe the exterior monitoring system might be easier ......
* * * * Had the same problem and arrived at the same conclusion.

Attachments

• img_4000.jpg
    img_4000.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 92
*** They are fine (actually great!) for water & fuel tanks but terrible for waste.

Except for a plastic tank and a flashlight , or feeling a flex tank, everything stinks at measuring a waste vtank.

Insteas of cleaning or replacing senders the simple use of a puff of air will clear the system , for a while.

If it mus be maintained , at least this is done remotely and cleanly.

We have just installed the Gobius system to monitor our stainless steel waste tank.... it works very well... and great customer support too!

Back
Top Bottom