Old 11-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
tachometer and fuel guage quit working..

My tach and fuel gauge suddenly quit working. My batteries needed replacing as the engine was struggling to turn over. I have since replaced my batteries, but the tach and fuel gauges still don't work. The tach on the flying bridge works fine (no fuel gauge up there) and I took my alternator in and it tested ok. I can't find any disconnected wires and I'm thinking maybe a grounding problem?...I'm wondering what could have caused the cabin tach to go out and not the one on the flying bridge...any suggestions?
MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
for both to go out at the same time...either 12v supply or ground may have disconnected for some reason...but without looking at the wiring behind them...it's all just a guess...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Yup. . . I've had that happen too. If you look at your gauge terminals. . . I'll bet they have daisy chained the grounds together. Find the bad contact and they'll both probably start working.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks psneeld.
Well they both have 12 volts going to them, so I'm thinking a ground problem. It dosen't make much sense to me that one would work and not the other. But then I don't know much about how this boat is wired yet.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes I have looked at them and they certianly have daisy chained the grounds together.. actually looks like everything is daisy chained together! .. I guess it'll just be a process of elimination.. Oh well, another sunday spent tracing wires and figuring out the logic behind it all, twisted up like a pretzel!...haha..pretzel logic...a little Steely Dan humor for ya...I must be gettin old...
Old 11-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
We're all getting old.

Get one of those long bus bars and every time you disconnect a ground run it to the bar. Give every wire it's own terminal and if you don't have a dry boat, use a touch of dielectric grease on the contact.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
FF
Guru

If you changed out the batts , you may have not grounded all the wires to the batt.the way they were.

Sadly even builders lay layer on layer of wiring , so on old boats to find a birds nest is common.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Same problem. Under the dash instruments I found a square, multi wire connector. pushing the wires together from both ends of the connector brought stuff back to life for a while.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Guru

City: Pensacola
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Same problem. Under the dash instruments I found a square, multi wire connector. pushing the wires together from both ends of the connector brought stuff back to life for a while.
Love the " for a while"! Yep. Sometimes that is good enough :-)
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

thanks for the replies. Still looking...I may have some voltage leakage on my main bilge switch..on my start bank, and something else on my house bank seems to be drawing current when it shouldn't..but it's not the rear bilge switch..something apparently from the distribution pannel. Something tells me it has to do with the bilge pumps switches, but I'm not sure. If I had the money I'd throw it at it and make it go away, pain in the #!%
Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
If you have a bird's nest at the battery terminals do your best to get rid of it. Get some H.D. buss bars and make all the connections to the rest of the boat at the busses. Then use one heavy battery wire to each buss bar as required. If you have parallel batteries for a bank then make each positive wire from each battery the same length as each other. Do the same for the negative wire. It does make a difference.

I did that many years ago and am glad I did. I had the potential of the following problem.

I have been helping a friend undo a mess. He has a birds nest at the battery terminals and during the the last battery changeout one lead got misconnected and he had 24V on part of his system. Part of the problem is nothing was labelled or colour coded so when one lead got out of place guess what, it was connected to the wrong polarity. Ruined his alternator controller,, seems to have damaged the battery charger, the inverter didn;'t like and it lost some smoke. Of course he is electrically challenged, hired stuff out, so wasn't really aware but regardless it can happen and one of the reasons is the 20 odd connections all over the place.
With the buss bars, once done, when the battery needs replacement there is only a single pos and neg wire to be undone. No other leads need be touched.
Of course colour code andlabell also but at the least the busses.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote