Tach reading low on bridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JESSEDIVER49

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42
I have one engine tach on bridge showing 1000 rpm readout and engine is running at 1800 according to tach in lower helm. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Calibration would be my first thought. Most tachs are adjustable. Check with a hand held tachometer. If you can't borrow one, they're available on Amazon or eBay for less than $15.

Thanks for your reply! It was working fine for the past few hours then suddenly stopped.

You might have a lose or resistive connection. I would try taping on the dash or on the upper tach also try wiggling the wires associated with that tach circuit. It doesn't sound like a calibration issue from your description.
Bill

Tachometer prob

Thanks for replies. I'll check for loose connection.

I'll check for loose connection.

LOOSE means electrically lousy , not usually mechanically loose.

This requires removing the end and cleaning the end and its attachment spot. SS toothbrush works fine.

One trick is to obtain brass star washers of the stud or screw size.

Then install the washer after cleaning.Inside or outside teeth , does not matter.

It will help ID the ones you have cleaned , and 10x more important it will keep the terminals in good contact after a high current heating episode.

Last edited:
I checked and cleaned connections at the bridge tach but that did not rectify. Running this morning on way home to Galveston, unit went from 300 rom low to normal and then back to 300 low. My thought is to check the tach readout unit with jumpers when I get back to port. Can you tell me if GB has a single or dual transmitters at engine. I'd think single with the two racha daisy chained. Is that right?

Not racha, meant tachs.

Switch it with the other engine. If the problem moves, its the tach itself.

Most tachs, nowadays, don't have senders, but work off the alternator. (They even change slightly when you change or adjust a belt.)

Since one tach works fine, I would trace the offending wire back to the alternator checking and cleaning each connection as you go. Also the ground to the offending tach may need attention. I doubt if it is more than that since the other tach is fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom