Old 05-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Tablets on flybridge

Has anyone here tried using a tablet on the flybridge with a network system? We are looking at installing a wi-fi network so we can tie in tablets on the flybridge but I wonder if they are "daylight readable" enough. Most seem to be very faint in the sunlight.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
I use my Ipad for navigation from the flybridge frequently, but it pretty much has to be in the shade to see it well. A large hard top makes that easy in my case. Some times you have to use your hand for shade in order to see the screen well.
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

City: Redlands
I use my iPad on the flybridge all the time. In direct sunlight it is a bit hard to read but most of the time it is just fine.

I use Garmin BlueChart mobile with Active Captain all day, every day. In addition I have a Rouge Pro WiFi booster antenna networked through a Net Gear router. Pretty much everything on the boat works through the router including the TV, Apple TV, other computers, iPhone, printer, etc.

I simply would not be without my iPad.

Best of Luck,
Arch
Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Our tablets are readable in shade and indirect sunlight, get's shakey after that. OTOH, these are back-ups to the back-up to the installed chartplotter, so not critical for our purposes.

FWIW, we've acquired a burn spot in the display on our iPod, presumably from heat since we stored it on the bridge a lot... although in an enclosed cubby at the helm, not in sunlight. I presume tablets using the same display technology would be equally at risk...

-Chris