Old 03-06-2015, 05:33 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Tablet questions, I am thinking of getting a tablet in the future.I would like to have Microsoft office on it ....
If you want to run genuine Microsoft Office on it-- Office actually by Microsoft-- an iPad will not do it.

I just went through the whole Apple App Store looking for anything by Microsoft and there isn't anything. There are lots of apps by other developers like Masalasoft that will read Office documents and let you create them after a fashion and transfer them to other devices, but if you want to be able to use the genuine article you'll have to get a Windows-based tablet.

It's too bad as I use MS Word on my Apple laptop to write with. But if I want to write on my projects with my iPad while I'm on the road I have to convert my Word documents to Pages which runs great on the iPad (and my laptop).

Then when I get home and want to update my Word documents to include what I've written on the road, I have to convert the Pages document on my iPad to a Word document on the laptop.

So I was really hoping that Microsoft had finally written Word for the iPad so I could stay in Word on both platforms but no such luck.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #22
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If you want to run genuine Microsoft Office on it-- Office actually by Microsoft-- an iPad will not do it.

I just went through the whole Apple App Store looking for anything by Microsoft and there isn't anything. There are lots of apps by other developers like Masalasoft that will read Office documents and let you create them after a fashion and transfer them to other devices, but if you want to be able to use the genuine article you'll have to get a Windows-based tablet.

It's too bad as I use MS Word on my Apple laptop to write with. But if I want to write on my projects with my iPad while I'm on the road I have to convert my Word documents to Pages which runs great on the iPad (and my laptop).

Then when I get home and want to update my Word documents to include what I've written on the road, I have to convert the Pages document on my iPad to a Word document on the laptop.

So I was really hoping that Microsoft had finally written Word for the iPad so I could stay in Word on both platforms but no such luck.
Marin, search the App Store for "Office 365". Do not search on "Microsoft". It is there. I just re-verified it. Office 365 is MS Office but it is via an annual subscription service from Microsoft that allows installation on 5 devices (Pcs, Macs, iPads, whatever) for $99/yr and provides all updates including versions. You will have to download the individual components on an iPad such as Word or Excel instead of the whole Office enchilada.

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Also, even if you have cellular, if you are in a dead zone, you won't be able to download the maps. That same issue is likely an issue with Android. With a Windows laptop, you should be able to download the maps onto the hard drive prior to cruising and having them when there is no internet connectivity, cellular or wifi.

Our tablet and laptop nav apps use charts downloaded in advance; no need to download again except for occasional updates, no Wi-Fi (or cellular) connectivity required for navigation.... just the GPS.

-Chris
Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
We don't use laptop navigation if for no other reason than I don't want the navigation of our boat in lousy visibility dependent upon anything the Microsoft Kids over in Redmond had anything to do with.
That would rule out Furuno's NavNet3D product line, and their TZTouch product line, both of which run on embedded windows. Plus Nobletech, MaxSea, and Coastal Explorer. Lots of boats, recreational and commercial, are run on these products. I'm no fan of Microsoft, but I'm just sayin'. But I heard that the new TZTouch2 MFDs are based on Android?

I decided to completely eliminate any chart plotter, MFD, or Black Black plotter from my boat and instead am using stand-alone radars and Coastal Explorer running on a dedicated computer. Windows is a necessary evil to run Coastal Explorer, but I've found it can be done reliably if you completely lock down the system and don't run anything else on it, or at least make it a very restrictive list. Definitely no email or web browsing, and no auto updates, etc. Mine now runs for months and months until I shut it down for whatever reason. It never crashes.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #25
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I don't understand what the tablet format offers that a cheaper laptop does not unless you are reading books.

I am looking at the next surface because of solid state memory but the detachable keyboard doesn't offer much as I would always keep the keyboard attached.
I just sold my ipad because I found it frustratingly difficult to use the weird keyboard apple insists on using from their iphone. I am a mouse and key board fan and I hated moving the #$%ZXYX blue line around to edit something.
GOOD Question.

Two big reasons:

1. Programs, or more particular Charts, for the the tablet/smart phone cost much less than the Computer/laptop pricing.

2. My tablet can communicate over 3 or 4G, if wifi is not available. If that's the case, I can use my tablet or Note 2 and make it a hot spot,thus giving my laptop internet also.

For example, I have a Samsung Smart phone Note 2, there 12.2 tablet and their Np301 or something like that laptop.

I pay $18 for navionics on the Note 2, $27 for the tablet and don't bother with with computer version because it's a few hundred bucks. For me this is a big deal since most of my cruising is outside the US for the foreseeable future.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #26
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

I decided to completely eliminate any chart plotter, MFD, or Black Black plotter from my boat and instead am using stand-alone radars and Coastal Explorer running on a dedicated computer. Windows is a necessary evil to run Coastal Explorer, but I've found it can be done reliably if you completely lock down the system and don't run anything else on it, or at least make it a very restrictive list. Definitely no email or web browsing, and no auto updates, etc. Mine now runs for months and months until I shut it down for whatever reason. It never crashes.
I did what he did.
But am not so deligent about not running other programs, but it has never crashed on me in any case.

But then I also never rely on only one setup.

I still have charts on my tablet and smart phone no matter what.

Windows 7 is fine. I like it a lot. Windows 8 is another issue and maybe if used on a touch screen it isn't a pile of Merde, but i'll never use it in this lifetime.

There are a lot of great apps for the iOS, but the simple fact is I like programs that i can understand what and how they work and iOS makes their products, while very good, also unchangeable.

My experience with my IPod was a real eye opener. It works great as long as you want to do what Apple thinks you want to do.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #27
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I don't understand what the tablet format offers that a cheaper laptop does not unless you are reading books.

I am looking at the next surface because of solid state memory but the detachable keyboard doesn't offer much as I would always keep the keyboard attached.

I just sold my ipad because I found it frustratingly difficult to use the weird keyboard apple insists on using from their iphone. I am a mouse and key board fan and I hated moving the #$%ZXYX blue line around to edit something.

FWIW, when we anticipate actual typing when using one of our tablets... we usually connect an external Bluetooth keyboard. Happens we found one that will easily connect to multiple devices, with a you-pick knob on it, so we keep it set up for my 7" Nexus (books) , her Galaxy (and magazines), and one of our home TVs (go figure).

In fact, I often use an external Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with our laptop. Almost always the mouse, often the keyboard, too.

-Chris
Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #28
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I don't feel quite tech savvy enough to tackle the Ramos 10 Dual boot so looks like it willl be an Ipad, a Surface 3, with a couple of dabs of 5200 on the back of each stick them together and ready to go!
Seriously, I don't plan now to use whaterver I settle on for Navigation, more for onshore planning, My Raymarine RL70 stuff, about 2004, is getting old but still works fine.

Thanks for all the information keep it coming I'm in no rush to make the decision!
Old 03-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Quote:
That would rule out Furuno's NavNet3D product line, and their TZTouch product line, both of which run on embedded windows. Plus Nobletech, MaxSea, and Coastal Explorer.
We have NanNet but not 3D. We use all PCs and Windows at work and it is a troublesome, clunky operating system that drives our IT peopke up the wall. Our new Ford pickup's entertainment/phone/etc system is by Microsoft and based on our experience and the experience of a number of Ford user groups it is extremely troublesome, unintuitive, and difficult to troubleshoot and fix.

Given Murphy's Law that says nothing will give you problems until it's important that it doesn't, we simply eliminate the potential by not using their stuff whenever possible.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

Regarding external keyboards, I used to use one with my iPad but it was one more thing I had to pack and drag around. Then I came across an iPad case that contains a built-in Bluetooth keyboard and also serves a a stand for the iPad. Brilliant concept and execution and the footprint is small enough to fit nicely on an economy class seatback tray table.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #31
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
We have NanNet but not 3D. We use all PCs and Windows at work and it is a troublesome, clunky operating system that drives our IT peopke up the wall. Our new Ford pickup's entertainment/phone/etc system is by Microsoft and based on our experience and the experience of a number of Ford user groups it is extremely troublesome, unintuitive, and difficult to troubleshoot and fix.

Given Murphy's Law that says nothing will give you problems until it's important that it doesn't, we simply eliminate the potential by not using their stuff whenever possible.

I find my sync quite easy to navigate, also like how you can change the background.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:

I agree with you 100%. I'm usually at the head of the line for windows bashing. I was mostly noting that buying a dedicated chart plotter unfortunately doesn't necessarily mean no windows. And it's an unfortunately reality that Coastal Explorer is a windows program. I manage to survive that by essentially not using windows for anything at all. Touching it seems to be what breaks it. By the way, my windows 7 that runs CE actually runs on a mac under VMWare. So it's really a Mac with a little shell surrounding and enabling CE. It's like handling pathogens with a hazmat suit.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Touching it seems to be what breaks it.

Exactly, that's why I'm glad my sons introduced me to the wonderful world of Apple. Frankly I was sick and tired of being a beta tester for Microsoft. Only thing needed to make Apple products work is recharging when the battery is low.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Back to the original question. Android!
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I find my sync quite easy to navigate, also like how you can change the background.
Our truck was a special order as we wanted a combination of features and packages the dealers never order on their own. After reading all the user horror stories about the upper end Sync, the one with the large touch screen, we specified the base-line Sync even the though the rest of the truck had packages which included the high-end Sync system.

So ours has not been too bad, although we have had to resort several times to user-discovered remedies to reset the system to fix specific problems, remedies the dealers and Ford's own Sync help staff apparently know nothing about.

At one point I had heard that Ford was going to drop their association with Microsoft and switch to RIM (Blackberry). Which seems a rather amazing and illogical move. But I was looking at a 2015 F150 at the dealer the other week and it has the same MS Sync system the earlier years have.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #36
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Our truck was a special order as we wanted a combination of features and packages the dealers never order on their own. After reading all the user horror stories about the upper end Sync, the one with the large touch screen, we specified the base-line Sync even the though the rest of the truck had packages which included the high-end Sync system.

So ours has not been too bad, although we have had to resort several times to user-discovered remedies to reset the system to fix specific problems, remedies the dealers and Ford's own Sync help staff apparently know nothing about.

At one point I had heard that Ford was going to drop their association with Microsoft and switch to RIM (Blackberry). Which seems a rather amazing and illogical move. But I was looking at a 2015 F150 at the dealer the other week and it has the same MS Sync system the earlier years have.

Oh ok. The one I've been using is in a 2015 Expedition, it has a maybe say a 7-8" touch display.

The touch can be a little slow at times but is fine most of the time.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
The touch can be a little slow at times but is fine most of the time.
If it ever gives you trouble I suggest you do what our engineer here at work suggested and did with me and that's type your problem into Google and see what you get. In our case, it came up with all sorts of links to user groups, forums, and individuals who had or were having the same problems we were. There were some really clever solutions, one of which proved to be the perfect solution to our particular problem.

It is a solution the dealer had never heard of and Ford itself had never heard of. But it worked great. in fact when I told the dealer about it--- they had been totally baffled by the problem we were experiencing--- they added it to their own Sync service manual.

The Microsoft Kids can be defeated but it can sometimes take a fair amount of digging to accomplish it.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #38
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I've had my iPad II for 3.5 years now. I chose iPad because, the iNavX is only available for iPads and only iNavX supports CHS charts which are "must haves" for me. Yes, I've got $600 in CHS charts on my iPad and backups on the Admiral's.

The problem with tablets is they lack a mouse and (normally) a proper keyboard. Navigation of spreadsheets is just too cludgey on a tablet. I do all my MS Office stuff on the laptop.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote