Old 06-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Systems Run indicator panel

Thanks to Flywright I have now designed a systems run panel. Like to get opinions. I was thinking of having one on the FB and one in the PH. And if i wanted I could easily add more. The price for a 6"x2.5"x 3.00MM (I think can't remember) power coated aluminum was ~$75.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402602275.486735.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	30502

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Missing the beer light.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
And the Genset producing power light.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Very cool. I take it low oil pressure, high coolant temp, and exhaust temp, perhaps raw water flow are on another, alarm driven panel? Kind of surprised to see high water on here, along with bilge pump (singular?).. or perhaps you are looking for redundancy? Certainly nothing wrong with that. I might add AC water pump if possible.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Very cool. I take it low oil pressure, high coolant temp, and exhaust temp, perhaps raw water flow are on another, alarm driven panel? Kind of surprised to see high water on here, along with bilge pump (singular?).. or perhaps you are looking for redundancy? Certainly nothing wrong with that. I might add AC water pump if possible.
Each of our engine gauge clusters have an alarm for when the engine starts running hot or the oil pressure drops it sets off a buzzer.
The high water is actually going be hooked to the high water pump, couldn't fit all the text.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I think I would group them by green normal indicator (i.e. Watermaker), amber advisory (i.e. Bilge Pumps) and red alert/alarm (i.e. High Water).

If you decide to have the spare holes drilled now, you can add SS wilkie buttons to cover them until needed.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I'm curious how you are doing the detection part. Voltage sense at the load? Current sense?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm curious how you are doing the detection part. Voltage sense at the load? Current sense?

Some of these items already have indicators on the panel and the others I was just gonna run a lead of the the load side of the breaker except for the water maker I was gonna run a lead into the HP pump. I can't think of any ways of wiring the water pump to make the indicator work when it's running. Not trying to do anything fancy just and overview of important stuff. Also it's me just idle thinking.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Some of these items already have indicators on the panel and the others I was just gonna run a lead of the the load side of the breaker except for the water maker I was gonna run a lead into the HP pump. I can't think of any ways of wiring the water pump to make the indicator work when it's running. Not trying to do anything fancy just and overview of important stuff. Also it's me just idle thinking.
Negative side of pump to light to ground...I think should work.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
Guru

Our water pump is 110v sealed construction not sure how I would go about to rig it so when the pump starts up the light goes one unless they make inline flow switches.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
That makes sense, and sounds like a fun project. To sense the water pump you would presumably have to get inside the control unit to the motor side of whatever switch they use. It's a headhunter, right? The 60 comes with a current sensing run indicator on the water pump circuit which I thought was pretty cool.

With all these sense wires, you will be bringing a variety of different voltages back to the indicator panel. What then? Will the indicators be LEDs? You'll need to step down the voltage somehow so they all glow more or less the same intensity.

Oh, and all your sense wires should have a fuse within close proximity to the sense point.

I'm doing something similar, but using the Maretron Run Indicator module to put all the info on the N2K bus, and N2KView for display. It has some added benefits like persistent cycle counters and run-time counters. I wouldn't put in N2K just for this, but if you have it already it is a pretty reasonable cost add-on.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
Guru

Yeah on the top of the pump there's a couple buttons and two indicators. I don't really have the confidence to tear into a $800 pump.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
That makes sense, and sounds like a fun project. To sense the water pump you would presumably have to get inside the control unit to the motor side of whatever switch they use. It's a headhunter, right? The 60 comes with a current sensing run indicator on the water pump circuit which I thought was pretty cool.

With all these sense wires, you will be bringing a variety of different voltages back to the indicator panel. What then? Will the indicators be LEDs? You'll need to step down the voltage somehow so they all glow more or less the same intensity.

Oh, and all your sense wires should have a fuse within close proximity to the sense point.

I'm doing something similar, but using the Maretron Run Indicator module to put all the info on the N2K bus, and N2KView for display. It has some added benefits like persistent cycle counters and run-time counters. I wouldn't put in N2K just for this, but if you have it already it is a pretty reasonable cost add-on.
Pacer makes non leds in all voltages. I was going of with them. Yeah optimally I would do N2K but it's not worth it for us. Although our next nordy will have a full N2K monitoring system very alike with the Hamilton's. If you don't know he has a sensor on everything, Like I wouldn't be surprised if he had a sensor in the toilet to tell the bowl water temp, which would be pretty cool.

http://www.pacergroup.net/Categories...dicator_Lights
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Pacer makes non leds in all voltages. I was going of with them.
Indicator Light, 3L Series 5/16"
Nice. That makes it easy.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Nice. That makes it easy.

Yep all the same size, so no fiddling with multiple brands. All this was just me idle thinking. Pacer Also makes 18/12 wire so I only have to pull one cable to the FB. what I like about this simple and relatively cheap idea is that it's scaleable I can out one in the ER, Master state room, or where ever I like for about 110 bucks a station.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12