Swapping the ICom MXA-5000 for a SiTex MDA1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I am thinking of swapping the ICom MXA-5000 AIS receiver for a SiTex MDA1 Class B AIS Tranceiver. The goal is to continue to receive AIS targets and display them on the Coastal Explorer plotter, while at the same time broadcasting my vessel's name, position etc.

Thoughts from the forum?

Is this a relatively easy "Re&Re" or is it more complicated than that? I am uncertain if the current unit has a dedicated VHF antenna so will check today. Is there any problem with CE displaying my vessel twice (as "the vessel" and also as an AIS target?

Jim

Last edited:
Just hook the appropriate TX wires to the RX device (computer).

That's what I currently do with CE

Thanks for the input! The online user manual states the "Vessel dimensions and position of your GPS antenna installation." are require inputs for configuration of the device. Why is this information important?

I would prefer to mount the device beneath the helm consol. Will the internal GPS still function or do I need to use a separate GPS antenna? As I already have two GPS units can an existing antenna be used, and if so, can a cable splitter be used?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! The online user manual states the "Vessel dimensions and position of your GPS antenna installation." are require inputs for configuration of the device. Why is this information important?

I would prefer to mount the device beneath the helm consol. Will the internal GPS still function or do I need to use a separate GPS antenna? As I already have two GPS units can an existing antenna be used, and if so, can a cable splitter be used?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

No, it needs it own antenna. The dimensions are so when the AIS Is on at the dock or wherever is that's so your boat appears where it actually is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom