Old 05-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Garmin GPSMAP 7212 with GMR 18HD Radar anyone?

I'm thinking I need to buy a chart plotter/radar system for my boat as I'm going to be boating the Maine coast and eventually head back to Texas. I have an Ipad with a few apps but I think I'll feel better with a full blown system, any thoughts? around 6000 (or 3500 for one screen and dome) bucks plus installation
Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Sounds like a good setup for what you plan for the East coast. You might want to step up the radar to a 24 inch dome or open array since you plan to go to Maine.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Sounds like a good setup for what you plan for the East coast. You might want to step up the radar to a 24 inch dome or open array since you plan to go to Maine.
Thanks, since this is all new to me you mind sharing the reason for the 24"/open array? Also, the boat is in Portland now, I bought it in New Hampshire
Rob
Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
I'm thinking I need to buy a chart plotter/radar system for my boat as I'm going to be boating the Maine coast and eventually head back to Texas. I have an Ipad with a few apps but I think I'll feel better with a full blown system, any thoughts? around 6000 (or 3500 for one screen and dome) bucks plus installation
I hope your idea works out for you, Rogue. I chose the same Garmin unit and 18" broad-band radar, also with a good sounder. Should finally have it installed this month. Likely, I'll keep one of my old Garmin units for a back-up, and/or maybe use a dedicated laptop.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
I guess I'm a bit old fashioned. I purchased the entire Garminn suite including sounder, 18" HD radar, autopilot, autopilot remote and 2 chart plotters. At the upper helm is a 6212 and at the lower is a 6208. I say old fashioned because I prefer the positive sensation of pushing buttons rather than a touch screen. The 6212 and 6208 are push button. I also like that the screen stays clean of fingerprints and if the seas are rough I can manage buttons much easier than a touch screen. Just my preference. The equipment is first rate and to the radar question, I find the 18" dome perfectly adequate for our New England cruising as well as the coastal waters down to FL. Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
In foggy conditions in Maine I kept the radar on 1/2 to 1 mile range to avoid incoming boats. Motoring at 6 kts if you see one a half mile ahead and you have a couple of minutes to do something about it if they are going the same speed towards you.

The HD or broadband radars are good for short range definition so I am sure that an 18" dome will work fine.

The only time I used a longer range is when in open waters at night or spotting a thunderstorm approaching and even then it was set on a 6 mile range.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
I agree.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
RW, the larger diameter antenna, provides for a narrower horizontal beam width, which in turn, provides better target definition. It is easier to distinguish targets such as a daymark from a small moving boat. As you go north there are more fog days and every little bit of advantage helps. Is 18" enough? Yes. Is 24" better? Yes for not a lot more $$.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:23 AM   #9

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
electronic upgrade

We just installed the Garmin 7212 at the upper and lower helms and Garmin's 18hd radar. I kept the old depth sounder, separate unit but I can add a Garmin transducer later if needed. Paid about $6300 for the electronics, install took a day. Very pleased with the upgrade; not 1st experience with Garmin but the drop downs don't always agree with the manual. Still, Garmin is somewhat intuitive. The touch screen will take some adjustment, think iPad. The radar is awesome for a dome.
Guess I'll have to teach the old dog a new trick.
I hope to sell the Raymarine RL 70c units, the RL80c and the radar; probably ask $250 for each.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:20 AM   #10

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
I just got the 7612 for upstairs as a didplay with bthe 7608xvs for the salon saved a little money and connected the withNEMA and rj45 with the 18" xhd tasare so far very happy learning to use it all
Gregg
Wataworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I've had my 7212/hd18 for 3 years. Amazing piece of equipment. Head is mounted in NavPod on flyybridge - sufficient tilt/rotate to view/operate from helm seat or outboard nav seat for on the fly course changes. I was concerned about the touch screen - I'm a dinosaur - but it was the best Father's Day gift ever, so I learned. Turns out touch on this unit is bulletproof. Muck and mung on the screen? Works fine. Screen visible in direct strong sunlight? check. Runs hot - but keeps running. Resolution sufficient to pick out crab trap floats at several hundred yards (depending on seas). Usually use 1 to 5 mile range, depending, for open water/ICW. Used the aux inputs for engine room cams. Also connected to the standard Horizon GX2200, for AIS display. Sweet setup.

I've had zero experience with other makes, but the 7212/18 configuration seems robust and completely suitable for my coastal cruising.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Also did what by bnoft did - had a perfectly functioning Garmin gps/fish finder already installed. Didn't feel like the $ & hassle of installing the Garmin recommended transducer, so my go to boat fixit guy called Garmin and they figured out how to get the old unit (non NEMA 2000) to transmit depth data to the 7212. Works like a champ.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #13

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Bnoft, what is the radar unit you mention selling in post #9? Do you still have it? Do you have manuals?
Dave
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #14

City: Sidney BC
Legacy system.

I was advised by Garmin that the 7212 is a "legacy" system which I guess means it is or will be discontinued. The 7612 is the current system and is much improved. Most important is that it is not compatible with legacy systems except for radar and simple sonar. That is what I was told by Garmin which means in stock 7212's should be discounted ...$2,200? Tough to swallow given that I installed new "legacy" gear in December only to have them made obsolete in January.
maac16324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #15
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
That's the disadvantage with Garmin.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by maac16324 View Post
I was advised by Garmin that the 7212 is a "legacy" system which I guess means it is or will be discontinued. The 7612 is the current system and is much improved. Most important is that it is not compatible with legacy systems except for radar and simple sonar. That is what I was told by Garmin which means in stock 7212's should be discounted ...$2,200? Tough to swallow given that I installed new "legacy" gear in December only to have them made obsolete in January.

The 7612 is not much improved. It has some new depth features and a couple other differences and is a new model for these reasons. Discontinued is not obsolete. You can still get service, support, maps, and repair on the discontinued equipment.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #17
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
I have 2 7212's, garmin auto pilot, transducer and 24xhd radar. Love the entire setup although I dont get much chance to use the radar...
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #18

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
Toolbuddie,
Sent you a PM
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #19

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Have replied to PM's
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:15 AM   #20
Guru

I decided to go 7616 with the 24 XHD dome and 2 thru transducers with a 7607 down below in house.