Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
State-of-the-art depth indicator for dinghy . . .

Back when I was living the cruising life (and I so fervently wish that it had gone on forever!) we would use an 8' line with 1' markers and a small mushroom anchor at the end to explore for suitable anchorages in far away places with strange sounding names.

Being older, sadder, and hopefully wiser, I now want to do the same thing again, even though the First Mate jumped ship. But I figure that the technology has probably changed, and that there must now be a better way to do it.

All of which is by way of asking if there are any suggestions for a battery-operated depth indicator which can be hand carried in a dinghy. Doesn't have to be precise.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
No, I'm not back. I wrote my reply as a PM and hit the wrong button. I'll try my damndest not to do it again.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
PS-- Well, there's a major f*ck-up. I meant to send this as a PM and blew it. Oh well, I'll just pretend I didn't send it on the open forum and it's still 9,999. I'm not back, I just screwed up. This should teach me to pay attention to what I'm doing with the g-damn mouse.
So what you are saying is the 10,000th post is just a tease.
Nice to know you are still here, keeping us in check and informed....
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Back when I was living the cruising life (and I so fervently wish that it had gone on forever!) we would use an 8' line with 1' markers and a small mushroom anchor at the end to explore for suitable anchorages in far away places with strange sounding names.

Being older, sadder, and hopefully wiser, I now want to do the same thing again, even though the First Mate jumped ship. But I figure that the technology has probably changed, and that there must now be a better way to do it.

All of which is by way of asking if there are any suggestions for a battery-operated depth indicator which can be hand carried in a dinghy. Doesn't have to be precise.

John
John: We have a Hummingbird Piranhamax 230 portable unit for the last 6 years. It runs on 8 AA batteries. It has all the functions of a built in unit. We use it primarily for dinghy fishing. It would also work as a good back-up. We lent it to some friends who had lost the primary depth finder in the middle of the season. They used it for 2 months full time and never bumped.

Humminbird PiranhaMAX 230 Portable 406880 1 082324031595 | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG   004.JPG  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #5

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
John,

I use this Hawkeye Handheld Sonar H22PX battery handheld sonar depth finder when in the dinghy. I costs around $80 and is the size of a standard flashlight (7 1/2 in). You just put the tip in the water and push a button. In my tests it was very accurate. Just be sure not to drop it, as it doesn't float!
Attached Images

adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Thanks, guys. Good info there, and just the type of information that I was looking for.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
John,

I use this Hawkeye Handheld Sonar H22PX battery handheld sonar depth finder when in the dinghy. I costs around $80 and is the size of a standard flashlight (7 1/2 in). You just put the tip in the water and push a button. In my tests it was very accurate. Just be sure not to drop it, as it doesn't float!
PLUS, it also has a temperature gauge!
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
10,001, well done. The Ghost who walks.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote