State-of-the-art depth indicator for dinghy . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Back when I was living the cruising life (and I so fervently wish that it had gone on forever!) we would use an 8' line with 1' markers and a small mushroom anchor at the end to explore for suitable anchorages in far away places with strange sounding names.

Being older, sadder, and hopefully wiser, I now want to do the same thing again, even though the First Mate jumped ship. But I figure that the technology has probably changed, and that there must now be a better way to do it.

All of which is by way of asking if there are any suggestions for a battery-operated depth indicator which can be hand carried in a dinghy. Doesn't have to be precise.

John

No, I'm not back. I wrote my reply as a PM and hit the wrong button. I'll try my damndest not to do it again.:)

Last edited:
PS-- Well, there's a major f*ck-up. I meant to send this as a PM and blew it. Oh well, I'll just pretend I didn't send it on the open forum and it's still 9,999. I'm not back, I just screwed up. This should teach me to pay attention to what I'm doing with the g-damn mouse.:)

So what you are saying is the 10,000th post is just a tease.
Nice to know you are still here, keeping us in check and informed....:thumb:

Back when I was living the cruising life (and I so fervently wish that it had gone on forever!) we would use an 8' line with 1' markers and a small mushroom anchor at the end to explore for suitable anchorages in far away places with strange sounding names.

Being older, sadder, and hopefully wiser, I now want to do the same thing again, even though the First Mate jumped ship. But I figure that the technology has probably changed, and that there must now be a better way to do it.

All of which is by way of asking if there are any suggestions for a battery-operated depth indicator which can be hand carried in a dinghy. Doesn't have to be precise.

John

John: We have a Hummingbird Piranhamax 230 portable unit for the last 6 years. It runs on 8 AA batteries. It has all the functions of a built in unit. We use it primarily for dinghy fishing. It would also work as a good back-up. We lent it to some friends who had lost the primary depth finder in the middle of the season. They used it for 2 months full time and never bumped.

Humminbird PiranhaMAX 230 Portable 406880 1 082324031595 | eBay

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 77
John,

I use this Hawkeye Handheld Sonar H22PX battery handheld sonar depth finder when in the dinghy. I costs around $80 and is the size of a standard flashlight (7 1/2 in). You just put the tip in the water and push a button. In my tests it was very accurate. Just be sure not to drop it, as it doesn't float!

Attachments

• Hawkeye Depth Sonar.JPG
    Hawkeye Depth Sonar.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 192
Thanks, guys. Good info there, and just the type of information that I was looking for.

John

John,

I use this Hawkeye Handheld Sonar H22PX battery handheld sonar depth finder when in the dinghy. I costs around $80 and is the size of a standard flashlight (7 1/2 in). You just put the tip in the water and push a button. In my tests it was very accurate. Just be sure not to drop it, as it doesn't float!

PLUS, it also has a temperature gauge!

10,001, well done. The Ghost who walks. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom