Old 09-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Need help with logistics

Currently in Grenada and 1 of 6 (2yr old) Trojan L16H-AC batteries went bad. I went with flooded Trojan batteries originally because I thought, if needed, they would be easier to get. WRONG!

Trojan warranty is for a $31 credit, thats it. So shipping here is costly, customs here is costly. Budget Marine here told me Antiqua had 2 in stock. Antiqua Budget Marine claims none and want $681 for the battery PLUS shipping. The batteries originally cost $350.

So outside of going to USVI, what other islands have low to no import fee, and any idea on cheap shipping?? Any other Trojan suppliers??

Thanks for any input

Also lets try not to get into replacing 1 battery out of 6 is bad. Convince Trojan, and I will listen. Got stuffed on warranty and cruising budget won't allow a few thousand dollars to replace 2 yr old batts.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Most of my my clients in the Caribbean use a outfit called "tropical shipping" http://www.tropical.com

The process is simple. You call and get set up with them.

Then you order your equipment and have is drop shipped to their dock in Florida.

They take it from there. Their rates are very reasonable, and their service is fantastic. You pay them directly so the selling merchant is not involved. Allot of people even set up their address as a authorized ship to address on their credit cards.

That way you pay US prices for the gear, and get it quickly. Of course you have to pay whatever import duties your destination country charges, but thats normal with any international commerce.

I have used them for many years to most of the Caribbean countries and they are very professional.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Scott: We used Marine Warehouse in Trinidad and Panama. One shipment was 4 gallons of bottom paint and I know others that imported batteries and anchor chain, all heavy stuff, cheaper than buying them locally.

Boating equipment and accessories for fishing, sailing, or yachts
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
Guru

Larry, we used them in Panama. I will try to get a quote for a Trojan L16 in Trinidad perhaps.

P.S. Glad you came thru Irma OK, or so I heard.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
In general, when we sailed the Caribbean 10 years ago, we found parts and boat assessories cheaper in Trinidad then just about any place else other than Saint Thomas.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:26 AM   #6
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
4Star Schedule and Rates

Ship to there address in Miami and they ship to Sint Maarten (Duty free port no tax's etc).
Or you can buy Trojans at Island water world in St maarten (Dutch side). Bought mine 10xT105+ there , good price cheaper than shipping in. Budget marine also sell them.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:30 AM   #7
Guru

https://www.islandwaterworld.com/bro...v/4,16955.html

6Volt Golf cart batteries

20A hour rate: 230. 5A hour rate: 174. 6A hour rate: 178. Minutes at 25A:448. Minutes at 75A:120. Duracells biggest innovations lie inside the battery, where they use heavier grids, plates with higher density oxide and improved glass mat envelope separators. The result? Longer life cycles and superior cycle life performance. The exterior features represent powerful thinking as well. Engineers have designed a battery that is as durable and user friendly as possible. The heavy gauge polypropylene cases have been specially engineered to take a pounding without damaging the cells. Twist and release vent caps make removing caps a snap, and they've maximized convenience by designing a new lifting system.

Browse all items from Duracell

Add to my favorites

Store: $197.50 / EACH
Online: $177.75 / EACH
Old 09-23-2017, 03:54 AM   #8
Guru

Budget Marines price T105's
ome products electrical marine batteries trojan batteries trojan t-105 plus 6 volt golf cart battery
Trojan T-105 Plus 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery

A long time favourite of the serious yachtsman. The T-105 Plus, from Trojan, combines excellent performance with a low TCO (total cost of ownership). Multi-rib separators and Alpha Plus electrolyte paste with T2 TechnologyTM are just two of the design features setting these batteries apart from the rest. Note: Two batteries required for 12 volt 225 Amp Hour system.

Item Code Description St. Maarten
List † St. Maarten
Offshore * Qty.
TRJ/T105PLUS Battery, DeepCycle Wet 6V Cap:225Ah/20h Golf-Cart $196.55 $176.89
Old 09-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Plan B ?

can you setup your system to use one less , and replace at 1/2 the cost in USA?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin J View Post
4Star Schedule and Rates

Ship to there address in Miami and they ship to Sint Maarten (Duty free port no tax's etc).
Or you can buy Trojans at Island water world in St maarten (Dutch side). Bought mine 10xT105+ there , good price cheaper than shipping in. Budget marine also sell them.
I am not sure St Marteen is a god option these days

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #11
Guru

City: gulf coast
short term fix is to rewire and operate off a 4 battery bank.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
Guru

I am currently operating on 4 (870 amphrs). Martin the T-105s are everywhere, Unfortunately I went with L-16 (essentially 2 T-105s stacked vertically) for more floor space in engine room. So I need an L16 to go back into existing bank.

Trying to find an in stock L-16 somewhere. Second choice would be shipping ($$) or wait 1-2 more years before I am back in the US.

I will try to find a contact for some salvage opportunities.

www.caribbeansealife.com