Source for AGM Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I need to replace one of the 4 AGM batteries that make up my house bank. The other 3 are East Penn 105 AH AGM's so I guess I should stay with the same make and size for the fourth.

I also need to change the engine start battery, I only have one. The current AGM battery won't hold a charge. I need to stay with an AGM because viewing and servicing it is impossible and would requiring removing 3 house batteries to get to.

Any suggestions on sources to purchase a East Penn AGM 105 AH and I suppose any AGM will do for the engine start?

Same technology (AGM) is important within a bank. I doubt it is important to stay with the same brand. Right up the road from you in Annapolis is Steven's Battery Warehouse, 1900 Forest Drive, Annapolis. I have purchased batteries from them for years. They sell DEKA AGMs (which is an East Penn brand battery).

For an AGM starting battery, I don't think you can beat the Diehard Platinum Marine group 31. The battery is made by Odyssey and provides 1150 CCA. I use three of these in my start/thruster bank. The Diehard also has a three year replacement warranty.

Walmart Super Stores have AGM batteries as does Sams Club which are 10-15% cheaper. You can mix brands of AGMs just fine in one bank.

And BlueYonder has 3450 CCAs of starting/thruster capacity? Wow, what are you starting, a locomotive engine?

David

Last edited:
OK, thanks guys. I talked to Eric at Stevens Battery Warehouse and they have the cheapest prices I've found on Decca 110 AH AGM's, $219. I'll pick up 2 on the way to the boat week after next.

Walmart Super Stores have AGM batteries as does Sams Club which are 10-15% cheaper. You can mix brands of AGMs just fine in one bank.

And BlueYonder has 3450 CCAs of starting/thruster capacity? Wow, what are you starting, a locomotive engine?

David

Not needed for starting the motor. Running two thrusters (bow and stern) at the same time does use a lot of current. Each one requires 1400 cca for full thrust according to the manual.

For an AGM starting battery, I don't think you can beat the Diehard Platinum Marine group 31. The battery is made by Odyssey and provides 1150 CCA. I use three of these in my start/thruster bank. The Diehard also has a three year replacement warranty.

+1 ... I had replaced all my various starting and house batteries with one type/size, G31 Diehard Platinum Marine dual purpose battery. I did a bit of research and from the info provided on Odyssey site this battery is well engineered for its intended purpose.

For a start batt I use the Optima blue top AGM

My house bank is Blue River ... something River anyway. Recomended by and purchased at Boat Electric on Westlake ave in Seattle.

I think my start batt is 1100 CCA. (100 cu in engine)
I have all AGM batts as the charger is set up for that charge rate and voltage.

Boat electric is great for info on the phone ... Call them.

I bought my Victron charger from Boat Electric. They were very helpful.

Electro Battery in St. Pete. 727-323-4848 is where I bought my last AGM. Very good prices.

Unfortunately (and surprisingly) Boat Electric in Seattle is out of business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom