Old 12-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Sometimes You Need An Analog Meter, Free Is Good

I have a Fluke Digital meter, but for checking some resistance on DC circuits I still like an analog meter. Harbor freight is giving analog meters away this week with Any purchase if you have the coupon from the monthly ad. FYI
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I agree. For some reason the simple electrical continuity buzzer function on the analogue types always appears to be missing on the digital ones as well. I find that function really useful. Does it connect..buzz...yes...or not, if no buzz...how hard is that to set up on a digital..? Measuring Ohms resistance just does not do it for me.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #3
FF
Guru

A most useful function an electric device can perform is finding the location of a break in a wire or a short.

The box stores have cheap devices that will locate AC behind a wall .

A simple 12v bell can be used to make your 12v or 24v DC into a pulsing current.

The tool will locate/follow the suspect wire , and where the juice stops.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
For cylinder head temperature on the UL aircraft digital was far better as you could see the rate of change even if it was quite slow and it was next to impossible to see it in analog. The rate of change at WOT told it all. For my speed indicator the relative position of the disk (indicator) was fine and it's relative position on the scale was important .. not available on the digital readout. One needs to process the numbers.

But for a spedometer in a car analog is better. If it's big enough. Don't need to know EXACTLY what the speed is or iat what rate you're changing but just close to what it is. A digital means you've got to process a number and even for a small fraction of time it's a bigger distraction.

So it depends on the application which one is better.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
My digital multi meter beeps for continuity, in fact all the ones I looked at when shopping for one did. It's avery important and muched used function for me. Still, for free, why not have a backup?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
For cylinder head temperature on the UL aircraft digital was far better as you could see the rate of change even if it was quite slow and it was next to impossible to see it in analog. The rate of change at WOT told it all. For my speed indicator the relative position of the disk (indicator) was fine and it's relative position on the scale was important .. not available on the digital readout. One needs to process the numbers.

But for a spedometer in a car analog is better. If it's big enough. Don't need to know EXACTLY what the speed is or iat what rate you're changing but just close to what it is. A digital means you've got to process a number and even for a small fraction of time it's a bigger distraction.

So it depends on the application which one is better.
Well put. Some things better digital, some better analog. On my boat the tach, oil gauges, coolant temp are all analog. I don't care what the exact readings are, just care that they are in normal ranges.

But on my DC panel, I like the digital voltmeter. It reads 13.8x on main engine, 13.3x on charger once past the 14.3x bulk charge. If it is a half volt off from those readings, something is funky, time to investigate. Seeing a half volt difference is not easy on a analog gauge.

I just replaced my old Fluke 77??? with a Fluke 115. About $150 and I really like the new one. It has a beeper for continuity, can measure Hz and test capacitors. My old fluke got douched with sea water on rough sea trials a few times, my fault, and it still lived for like 12yrs. Can't blame it for finally pooping. I do like Fluke stuff.

Still have an ancient analog test meter, but last time I used it was to sync a generator to the grid!!! Handy for that..
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I agree. For some reason the simple electrical continuity buzzer function on the analogue types always appears to be missing on the digital ones as well. I find that function really useful. Does it connect..buzz...yes...or not, if no buzz...how hard is that to set up on a digital..? Measuring Ohms resistance just does not do it for me.
What digital multimeters have you found without an audible tone continuity test mode??? Have been using digital for 30 years and have never seen one without that feature yet.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
In my opinion (as a ex electronic technician), a digital meter is far better for taking resistance measurements. No worry about "zeroing" the meter, just put the probes on. Most are so sensitive that the manner of connecting the leads to the device to be measured is important. Clips are better than fingers for this.

Also, digital meters load the circuit far less than all but the best analog meters.

Of course for monitoring a changing voltage (audio, for instance), you pretty much need an analog meter or a digital meter with an analog function.

BTW: A digital meter is more apt to pass the drop test than an analog meter.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
What digital multimeters have you found without an audible tone continuity test mode??? Have been using digital for 30 years and have never seen one without that feature yet.
Do web search, starting with this one, speaking of Harbor Freight. Or look at the various Flukes. Mine is a Newmar ESA, which is a rebranded unit.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 12-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
To add just a little thread drift, I have a Fluke meter similar to this one:

It works great, but I hate it! You need three hands to use it; one to hold each probe, and another to keep the meter from spinning around or turning over. The wires are just short and stiff enough, and the bottom of the meter itself is rounded, so that there's no possible way to prop it up or lay it flat anywhere to allow you to read it while taking measurements. Sometimes I have to drag out one of my old, $10 Radio Shack analog meters just to get the job done.

The only saving grace on the Fluke is the continuity beep, which at least makes it functional for that purpose.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Originally Posted by CPseudonym

Ah well, as it happens, both of the replacements I got after my favourite analog one slipped off the top of my (ok, overloaded), boat box, as I was leaving her one day, bounced once, and...you guessed it...glub, glub, glub...

Here's the one I have at home. I admit I don't spend big money for these things...
Oh, bugger it, I give up trying to get the pic the right way up. I took it the right way up, it saved to iPhoto fine, but each time I post it - looks like I have the same yips now someone else reported...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0334.jpg  
Old 12-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
My buddy Darrell always has a coupon for a free meter when he goes to Harbor Freight. He must have ten of them by now. We went over to Punta Gorda last weekend to get his house ready for renters. We had several projects involving electricity. He forgot to bring one!

I always have a coupon for a free measuring tape.

Ok back to the thread.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
To add just a little thread drift, I have a Fluke meter similar to this one:

It works great, but I hate it! You need three hands to use it; one to hold each probe, and another to keep the meter from spinning around or turning over. The wires are just short and stiff enough, and the bottom of the meter itself is rounded, so that there's no possible way to prop it up or lay it flat anywhere to allow you to read it while taking measurements. Sometimes I have to drag out one of my old, $10 Radio Shack analog meters just to get the job done.

The only saving grace on the Fluke is the continuity beep, which at least makes it functional for that purpose.
Alligator clips and wire are your new best friends.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

I got one at radio shack. They even have analog meters with it.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #15
Guru

City: kemah
Heres a good xmas gift, well new years gift.

FRYS.comÂ*|Â*Extech
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I must lead a sheltered life gents, I've never even heard of one until this thread. I'll admit to owning nothing but Fluke but have used and tested at stores and suppliers dozens of others.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
I had a VTVM, Heathkit, that I built, also had a Simpson Analog meter 260 model I think. Now a Fluke digital. Cant remember any recent times that I wished I had an analog meter. Back in the day, trimming capacitors on radios they worked best. Was at Electric museum in Bellingham, and a lot of the stuff I used to work with is on the shelves there. Must be getting old.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
For most boat electrical repairs, a pretty basic meter is all that is needed. $25 - $50 will get you what you need. Even less will get the job done..
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I have found a AC/DC clamp meter to be very handy.

It only takes a few seconds to check to see what is going o with solar output, batt charging, alternator output, power consumption .

I felt the 400watt AC/DC model from Klien to be great. Available at Home Depot but possibly available from others as a better deal. $120

Electrical Test Meters - Electrical Tools & Accessories - Â*The Home Depot
Attached Images

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Well put. Some things better digital, some better analog. On my boat the tach, oil gauges, coolant temp are all analog. I don't care what the exact readings are, just care that they are in normal ranges.
I agree! The photo below shows the oil pressure and coolant temperature at 12:00. That is optimum for my boat. I also normally cruise at 2000rpm (Even though the photo shows rpm higher than that.) So, when normally cruising, the three gauges that I scan the most are more easily interpreted with the needles at 12:00. I've heard that race car drivers also prefer the analogs as they are easier & faster to interpret at a glance.
Attached Thumbnails
yanmar gauges.jpg