Solenoid for Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerry Parker

Vessel Name
Awenasa II
Seawolf windlass wired to raise anchor only. When the foot pedal is activated all I get is a clicking noise. Removed the solenoid and cleaned the contacts but still get nothing but clicking. Not much of an electrician but are there other troubleshooting ideas?

Yeah, check the battery and it's connections that is supplying the windlass.

Ken

Clean and tighten all connections from the battery forward to the solenoid, foot switch and windlass. Measure voltage at the motor terminals while pushing the foot switch. Work backwards from there and see what may be causing the problem.

David

Welcome aboard. Clean all connections and make sure they are tight would be my first check also.

Clean and tighten all connections from the battery forward to the solenoid, foot switch and windlass. Measure voltage at the motor terminals while pushing the foot switch. Work backwards from there and see what may be causing the problem.

David
Thanks David. I haven't checked the voltage.

I just replaced 2 solenoids for my dink lift. I found solenoids to be a standard identical product made by various vendors if it needs replacing. No need to pay OEM pricing.

Put your voltmeter on the "Load" side of the solenoid (the other lead on a good ground) and have someone push the button to energize it. See if it's actually closing and putting voltage to the load side. Could be bad brushes in the motor, or if it's anything like the string of junkers I owned as a teen in the 70's, just a bad solenoid (burned contacts possibly), clicking away with the key switch, and only sometimes making good enough contact to spin the starter.

Back
Top Bottom