Old 01-16-2016, 05:19 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
At our old marina there was a catamaran that had a wind generator, a old noisy one. The guy who owned the catamaran use to leave it going all the time, even though he was plugged into shore power, annoying everybody. He only use to go to his boat once every two weeks sit on it and drink beer all weekend, he came down to his boat once to find a life jacket tangled up into it, I think someone got sick of it wurring away 24/7
No real surprise there, as that was just being silly and inconsiderate, by any standards. Most marinas these days would take action on that before someone needed to get desperate.

How's the boat search going, by the way..? Sorry, tiny thread hi-jack.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Brisbane (boats on the Gold Coast)
Vessel Name: Hassall Free
Vessel Model: Riviera 35 Aft Cabin
Hi Peter, I have been really busy working, so apart from the interweb searches, it`s moving pretty slow, I need time to not only look, but to clean my Riv up and put it on the market, if the weather is good on the weekends I`m out in it.

Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"How you generate power is all about freedom."

Usually the huge demand that requires lots of power is the reefer.

It might actually be cheaper to install a Quality reefer ($$$) and need little to keep it happy , than spend big bucks on batts and multiple charging systems .

Engle is one brand , there are others that are not of marine or RV power requirements.

Of course Propane is the best at silence a 20# bottle is over a month with a big unit.

But the thought of propane panics some, as does the thought of a gasoline power plant.

The old option of Eutetic plates is fantastic , but requires a built in well insulated box , and a compressor mounted on the engine.

Out 90/90 does 3 or 4 days with the ice cream at 5F but it was expensive and a lot of detailed work.

The off grid folks always believe it is 3 times cheaper to NOT have to create/store energy than to operate an inefficient system.

The less power you require 24/7/365 the easier it is to live free.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
If the noise from wind generators bothers you, you might avoid the Eastern Caribbean. Most boats have one or more and they run 24/7 including when in the marina. Of course our marinas charge a little more than ten times the rate I am charged at home. At more than $1.10 US per kilowatt, the wind generator at the dock is valuable.

We use the shore power, when it is on, for heating water, refrigeration and equalizing the batteries.

If you want noise, it is the clanging of the halyards from some of the sailboats and the partying of young folks on the charter boats.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
FF you bring this up every time. ....................
And why should he not? If the same subject comes up again and again, why should anybody not express his/her opinion each time? I suspect nobody has convinced him to change his opinion.

Perhaps I am just lucky so far, I haven't spent much time in crowded anchorages, I've been able to stay away from other boats but I have been bothered by wind generators a couple times so I agree with FF on this issue.

Of course as others have mentioned, sailboat rigging, gensets and partying or loud stereos are other issues in anchorages.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #26
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
It might actually be cheaper to install a Quality reefer ($$$) and need little to keep it happy , than spend big bucks on batts and multiple charging systems .

Engle is one brand , there are others that are not of marine or RV power requirements.

Of course Propane is the best at silence a 20# bottle is over a month with a big unit.
FF: I did look seriously at an Engel. The stats are wonderful and I'm sure that I could find a spot for one of the reefer-types. The cooler one (smallest) was seriously too small for me and my desires.

The next size up, again a cooler style with an opening top simply would not fit any place aboard Seaweed except in the dinette bench seat. I could not find a way to make that work for me -- not when an easy to open $120 3.1 cubic-foot two door Haier was available. Even that required a major reworking of the galley.

Propane like what we had on our 40'er was considered also. We had a Dometic AC/DC/propane unit. On Seaweed venting was nigh on to impossible.

Having a very small boat means some of my choices are limited. In refrigeration that is certainly true. A small cube Norcold would have been great, however at $700 it was too rich for my blood. It would still require power and AC reefers are becoming more efficient all the time.

The thing is, having been around boats since dinosaurs roamed the earth, I remember how things were and the changes wrought over the years. At one time the DC units (Norcold and the like) were the "cat's meow" and boats clamored for them.

We had one on our 40'er. Then we shifted to Dometic for a larger refrigerator with a freezer. We also had the ability to easily swap out propane tanks though mostly it ran on DC as that was easier to generate without being tied to a city infrastructure.

But I digress...
The new theory proposed seems to center on using plain old domestic reefers -- the throwaways from box stores. When they quit either fix them for a couple hundred bucks or toss them out and replace with a new, more efficient, cheaper unit that fits the same slot.

Sure an Engel that fits where my 3.1 Haier sits would be wonderful. However if the Haier croaks my purse won't shiver in dread.

Simple really is best and for me that means a cheap reefer, lots of solar panels and batteries to support same. Though I have a ten gallon propane tank, it is in reserve and I use the small green cans. They are easier to carry and one a week means I'm cooking at will.

My tank is one that the government outlawed (fiberglass) and so I won't be able to get it refilled here in the states. "We're from the government and we are here to help you..." but that's another subject.

Please know FF that I did carefully study and consider the alternatives you proposed. That they work for you is great. Simply because it will not fit into Seaweed does not make your choices poor. They just are not for me.

They do have merit for those with larger boats and/or larger budgets. Anyone thinking about replacing a refrigerator needs to consider all the alternatives.

I suspect that is one of the things I like best about boating. There is always something to learn. Things that were Fact ten years ago often have been superseded by new knowledge, inventions and ways of doing things. That's certainly true in things like steel boats (does anyone use cold tar epoxy anymore?)

Having a small boat means I make compromises based on what will fit into a limited amount of space. I'm getting there (condensing) and truly each thing aboard is there for some particular reason. Either it pleases me, serves me or keeps me safe.

Or I want it! All of us justify our choices. With much thought and deliberation I chose a cheap reefer and wind, plus solar and a battery bank that should keep me ticking for several days without either. I'm glad your options work so well for you on your boat.

It's also wonderful that you can get yourself in places without wind generators or generators. Around here you would be a very unhappy man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
If you want noise, it is the clanging of the halyards from some of the sailboats and the partying of young folks on the charter boats.
Voices carry on the water and at anchorages I've learned far too much about strangers. It is definitely on a par with cell phone conversations with the added "benefit" of hearing both sides.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"$120 3.1 cubic-foot two door Haier was available. Even that required a major reworking of the galley."

Any price difference may be made up by the cost of solar , inverter, wind machine and larger batts that wear out with use.,

The power required may be 300% larger than the more efficient units , which is a DAILY challenge.

The Steve Dashew site sells temperature tell tale recording devices , that might be good insurance for food quality..

All boats , large and small are compromises , we all do the best we can at the time.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
It is always best to minimize power needs before trying to increase the power available. You may end up having to add some source of additional power in the end, but perhaps not as much.

The obvious first step is to replace all the lighting with LEDs. A refrigerator is a power hog so that is a good thing to consider replacing. Older CO detectors draw as much as two or three amps while the latest model draw a fraction of that.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #29
Guru

Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
The Steve Dashew site sells temperature tell tale recording devices , that might be good insurance for food quality.
For that purpose I bought a weather station (Ambient brand) from Amazon for about $25. Mine comes with a second "outside" temperature and humidity gauge. I put that in my reefer and have an easy way to monitor how cold it is.

As for the freezer, I did what lots of folks have done. I have some ice cubes in a bag. If they melt bad things have happened. Thus far, all is well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
The obvious first step is to replace all the lighting with LEDs. A refrigerator is a power hog so that is a good thing to consider replacing. Older CO detectors draw as much as two or three amps while the latest model draw a fraction of that.
You are quite correct WesK regarding the power drains. Aboard Seaweed all lights that are used are LED and I'm gradually swapping out the ones that are never on for LED too.

I've got a great anchor light -- the Owl by Bebi with minimal power draw. The anchor light in Algae (my dinghy) uses .01 or .03 (can't remember which bulb I've got in her at present) so Algae's solar panel easily keeps up with that.

My world is essentially 12-volts. An inverter provides AC.

I'm too old to live another summer without a working 24/7 refrigerator. Though I grew up on a boat until my teens without a reefer and lived on Seaweed for years doing the ice drill, this refrigeration thing is AMAZING.

Bringing ice via dinghy to the boat is just below hauling water. NOT fun.

Thanks to Larry I now have enough solar that I'll be able to run that reefer without concern. I did not have that previously so this is a huge step up. I'm so blessed.

Enjoying a life of decadence in 23' has been my goal since purchase. So far step by step I'm making progress. It's nearly been eight years since I made her my home.

I'm even going to start a new Log Book to celebrate! This truly is a momentous time for me. It seems I'm perpetually walking around with a smile on my face. Life is truly wonderful afloat.

For me, the combination of wind and solar means I've got the means to regenerate power. No one power source can provide that redundancy.

A while back, three miles off shore while hugging the coast south I met a sailboat. He'd run out of power and could not start his engine. It was a WestSail32. With a mild breeze on the nose he was going no place.

Hailed (what was that Kid doing waving at me?!?) I came over. He had no power so of course could not respond on the VHF. In any event, I came over and we spoke.

He needed power so I rafted up to him and used my power via an extension cord with a 15 to 30 adapter to charge his batteries. I also took his Kid on my boat for a movie and sent over my Calder's so he could try to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it.

New to him boat, etc. You know the drill.

Having both energy sources was a benefit to him. He was unsuccessful that initial night so I drifted back and anchored nearby. It blew crazy hard during the night so I had plenty of power for him to try in the morning.

Though he was not successful it was good to be able to help another fellow. There are not too many battery chargers and power stations on the 3-mile line in the Gulf of Mexico.

Article here, if you're curious: Janice142 article

There is a place on boats for multiple power generation sources. I glad I do not have to rely on just one.

Thanks for your input WesK and FF.
Check out the spiffy battery powered (AA for main unit and AAA for "outdoor" sending unit) weather stations. It's a good way to inexpensively get the information required.

P.S. DO NOT BUY the Walmart ones. Those, you have to be dead-on ahead of or the numbers won't show. I returned mine and bought from Amazon. This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...g=janice142-20

I'd pick a newer version from the same company were I you. And the outside gizmo is about 1" by 1/2" and maybe 4" tall. It tucks nicely in the corner of the refrigerator under the light.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"I put that in my reefer and have an easy way to monitor how cold it is."

How cold it IS is a big difference from how warm it got sometime when you were away.

What is the next lifestyle improving desirement ?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #31
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
For that purpose I bought a weather station (Ambient brand) from Amazon for about $25. Mine comes with a second "outside" temperature and humidity gauge. I put that in my reefer and have an easy way to monitor how cold it is.
Cool, we do the same thing. We monitor the Tundra Frig, outside air, Dometic 110 Freezer/Cooler, and cabin temp. The unit has alarms set for frig and freezer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermometer.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	48226  
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #32
Guru

There are numerous inexpensive temperature monitors which give current, coldest, warmest in cabinet temp, plus ambient.
I find the hard wired ones better than remote wireless units which need restarting more than Windows.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
What is the next lifestyle improving desirement ?
I've got the lifestyle pretty much covered... Life is truly wonderful aboard Seaweed. My home is amazing ... wish you could see her.

The next improvement will be an autopilot. Seaweed does not track. Period. Without turning the wheel, with no visible winds nor currents she's done a 180 on me in LESS than one minute. So I'd like an autopilot.

In the meantime the best solution I've come up with is to simply put her in neutral and let her drift while I am pouring a cup of tea, or nuking something to eat, etc.

Truly though my desires have been met. After all I live on the cutest trawler ever made. I am in Florida with a 12-volt electric blanket pre-warming my bunk, surfing the net, getting ready to read a new book on my Kindle... life does not get much better.

I hope and pray everyone has as much happiness afloat as I enjoy. Truly this life aboard Seaweed is grand. I would not want any other.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #34
FF
Guru

"The next improvement will be an autopilot."

Is the steering mechanical or hyd from the wheel to the rudder ?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #35
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I am also surprised at the comments regarding not considering wind generators due to the noise. In our marina they are quite popular. The nearest one is two boats down from me. I can just barely hear it from 30 feet away when it is blowing hard. With a 10 knot breeze it is inaudible from my cockpit.

The noise is nothing compared to a diesel generator. We had someone running their generator in the marina berth next to us for 4 hours a day a few weeks ago. (only 15 amp power available) We moved to a nice quiet anchorage.

...but rattling halyards have got to be the worst. I've climbed aboard a few boats in the middle of the night to silence them.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
"The next improvement will be an autopilot."

Is the steering mechanical or hyd from the wheel to the rudder ?
She's hydraulic. I have a lot to learn about autopilots.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #37
FF
Guru

"She's hydraulic."

First test , put a piece of string on the wheel while you are steering at "dead center".

As you drive note how long it takes for the wheel dead center to move 2 or 3 inches.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #38
Guru

The wheel herself does not move. She's not exactly stiff but does not move when under way unless I do it. When Seaweed did her 180 degree turn the wheel had not moved.

Side Note: When I first bought Seaweed I put a small cleat by the wheel and a bungie-cord. The plan was to have that as a sort of autopilot in keeping her going the proper direction. That was before I discovered to my chagrin that Seaweed does not track on her own.

I believe that roundness at the center of what is my cabin is the design flaw that throws her for a loop. Water passes by and with no keel... well, she turns as she darn well pleases. I suspect mine was the first built as others (there were six) well, all those I've seen except Seaweed have keels. I've got the skeg hung rudder so I've got a good underside for grounding -- not jot for steering.

From hard port to hard starboard is 2.75 turns of the wheel.
This is the same as when I bought her.

Once a month (even when not going anyplace) I turn the wheel side to side then line her up in the middle. I've got a wire tie on the center spoke...

And thanks for your question. I'd like to learn more about this part of my boat. It's the only thing that hasn't broken. Yet. (said while laughing) She's a boat, so stuff happens.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:37 AM   #39
FF
Guru

All hyd sterring setups are dead , no feel to the wheel.

The question is when you hand steer , you move the wheel underway a lot , how long does it take to have that wire tie end up 2 or 3 inches off center?
Old 01-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #40
Guru

I think I understand the question now. There is about 2-3" of "dead zone" -- when I turn the wheel the first two or three inches do nothing. Then she turns.

And when underway every couple of minutes I adjust the wheel to get myself back on course.

I did discover that if I hang Algae off the far port quarter that she seems to stay on track a bit longer (sometimes as long as five minutes)

I've tried trailing Algae at the center. I've hoisted her bow so only the final foot is in the water. The only time I've had any success at holding a course is when Algae is tight to the boat and right at that aft corner. The drag seems to aid in tracking.

A neighbor said that he knew someone with the same situation in Matecumbe (FL Keys) who ended up adding bilge keels to allow that boat to track. Several Schuckers have added them, most likely to eliminate roll.

(Seaweed does not roll. She pitches.)

The idea of passively solving the tracking problem appeals to me. I fear boatyards and the pirates that run 'em.

For now steering is adequate. You know FF, I live on a boat in Florida. The northeast is being hammered by snow. There are so many who would wish and dream of my life. I truly am blessed. And I know it!

My Kidlet returns to town (Tampa, across the bay) in February and then I'm free. In the meantime I'm loading ship's stores and getting my girl ready to travel. Life is marvelous afloat.

Side Note: I really appreciate all your advice re my cooling system. We did cut off the box and are using the inside part as my stainless riser. It's wrapped in heat shield. A local shop, Lizotte's Welding (Todd) in St. Pete, FL [phone: 727-343-7690] cut off the box part, polished up the pipe and even marked where the raw water "in" pipe ended.

Picture taken before the old monster heat exchanger was removed. I am using a Kubota generator one, about the size of a liter bottle of water.

Anyway, a HUGE thanks for your input on that part of the engine swap. I'm glad I went with what everyone else has ... and replacement is off the shelf/easy to do should there be a problem down the line. You were right: I wanted what I had to work, but in the end changing was the correct decision. Thank you for your patience while I came to that realization.

I love my new engine. The mechanic only has a couple minor things to do and I'll be off. The list is: #1) hook up fuel return line, #2) attach throttle and shift cables, and #3) install a shut down switch.

My "genius" idea on BOB engine was to have a fuel shut off valve. Perfect, except that from the time I closed off the diesel it took 30 minutes to run through the fuel in the line. That was one of those "good in theory" moments...!

J