Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Solar Panels and Shadows...

While surfing the internet I came across this Vlog featuring a couple equipping their new catamaran with solar panels and thought some of you might be interested in seeing their test results:

Old 07-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Solar Panels and Shadows...

Thanks for that post DD. I'm hooked up in parallel. I get the most consistent performance under "cloudy-bright" skies.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Very interesting results with the shading tests. It seems blocking part of one or more cells cuts output by 40% to 50% but blocking even one whole cell cuts the output by as much as 90%. Good info to have.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Until this season, My 4 150 watt panels delivered just shy of 25 amperes for most of the day. This year my max is around 20. Now of course I never washed the panels but that is high on my list to do soon.

Others may have this same dirty problem
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That would be a good test....before and after the washdown. Don't forget the pictures for comparison. We like pictures.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Guru

I'll take pictures but there is a but! I long ago gave up trying post pictures in forums. Now this forum may be different but other forums want pictures from web sites only. That would mean I have to download to some yet to be determined site before posting.

I will post the results but the best I can offer is to email the pictures to somebody and let them post them

Back to solar! I set up an automatic transfer switch ( a relay in layman terms) to switch to a 2KW true sine wave inverter in the absence of AC from either dock or my genny power. My battery bank consists of 4 East Penn golf carts to make up two 12v banks which I connect in parallel. This provides 440 AH of battery.

I have an 8 cubic foot fridge on the boat with self defrost. We have 2 32" tvs plus lighting. And yes I also have a Xantrex 50 amp charger which for the most part only charges the generator battery.

The panels! Those things replace all the consumed battery power every day we are out unless its raining. I highly recommend solar for boats. Homes are another matter requiring much discussion.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I'll take pictures but there is a but! I long ago gave up trying post pictures in forums. Now this forum may be different but other forums want pictures from web sites only. That would mean I have to download to some yet to be determined site before posting.
You don't have to do that foggysail. Although you can do that, and some keen types do, using dropbox iCloud or similar, and just clicking on the "add an image icon at the top of the input window. But...this forum software is very user friendly, and you can post multiple pics as long as they are not too huge, right off the computer you're working on.

Just make sure you're in 'advanced post' mode, not 'quick reply', which is automatic if you click on the reply button rather than just posting in the quick reply window, but even if you were, there is a button below it labelled 'go advanced', so that will take you to the advanced post window.

You then click on manage attachments, then click on 'choose file', which takes you via browse, to your computer so you can browse to your photos, then just click on the photos you want just repeating eh selecting process, then when you have the pics chosen, you click on 'upload', and (most important) WAIT, for the upload to complete by watching the blue line across the top or whatever your computer does while it is uploading. Then scroll down to the bottom and click on 'close this window', then select submit post from the bottom of the window where you pic files are listed, and bob'syeruncle...pics posted - 'piece of cake.'
Old 07-17-2016, 04:44 AM   #8

City: Hong Kong
Parallel and Series connection

Excellent video, thanks...it got me thinking about my setup which is both in series and parallel...I am installing 4 x 230W, 41V semi flexible panels in a series/parallel configuration creating about 82V for the Mastervolt SCM60 MPPT-MB charger.

The 4 panels will be placed in a row (front to aft) along the top of the bimini, The mast is right behind the bimini so it creates some shading on the 2 panels closest to the mast...

There are several ways to connect these panels: number 1 + 4 in parallel and number 2+3 in parallel, then series connect them. Or parallel number 1+2 and 3+4, then series connect them...or parallel number 1+3 and 2+4....you get the picture...

I'm wondering what would be the best set-up for these 4 panels.
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #9

This is my Bimini...:
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #10
Guru

I have both 12v and 24v systems on my boat, only the 12v is connected to the solar. But why are those of you who have higher voltage panels going with higher voltages? The only advantage I can see is being able to use smaller wire from the panels to your MPPT controller/regulator. Personally and I do mean for me, I don't want any subsystems that operate above 48v for safety reasons.

My panels operate in parallel mode with two each wired together using #10 wire. So I have a total of 4 wires from my panels to a solar regulator......have to look at to get the manufacturer's name but it is a quality regulator not a $10 Ebay special. By the way, those inexpensive things on Ebay do work although I doubt they provide battery equalization.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #11

Its not for safety:https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~...l_current.html
Old 07-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #12
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great info, DD. I've gone to quite a bit of trouble to clear my pilothouse roof and remove the likelihood of shading. Sounds like it may have been worth it.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #13
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Good info.

I'm in the process of working out the best layout for panels. I was concerned about the shade from my vhf antenna, but it looks like a narrow shadow like that has only minor effect. Makes my roof layout plans a little simpler.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #14
Guru

Thanks DD. Very helpful.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searios View Post

????
Old 07-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #16

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searios View Post
This is my Bimini...:

Do I see dedicated racks built within the Bimini structure to support 12 solar panels? If so, I like it!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:12 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I finally had a chance to view the vid. I am amazed at how devastating any shade is to the output. It means that in my case a pilothouse roof installation would very limited if the sun drops low enough for the arch to cast a shadow on the panels. It makes it appear that in my case I would either have to mount them at the arch level, or just not bother.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck View Post
Do I see dedicated racks built within the Bimini structure to support 12 solar panels? If so, I like it!
Yes, the middle section frame holds 4 panels. I have also decided to install them in parallel only due to the video, so thanks for posting it..
Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #19

City: Houston
I have read that when a solar panel is shaded, it will automatically reduce its output by 50% to "protect itself." I don't pretend to understand this, but it is consistent with the results in the video. The video also indicates that if more than one panel is shaded, output may be almost eliminated.

I have also read that "microinverters" (e.g., Enphase) can be installed on panels to solve this problem. I don't know anything about this, either, but maybe others do.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
I have read that when a solar panel is shaded, it will automatically reduce its output by 50% to "protect itself." I don't pretend to understand this, but it is consistent with the results in the video. The video also indicates that if more than one panel is shaded, output may be almost eliminated.

I have also read that "microinverters" (e.g., Enphase) can be installed on panels to solve this problem. I don't know anything about this, either, but maybe others do.
I would read up more on shading...I don't believe that power is reduced to protect themselves (solar panels) and there are variations in panels themselves aND how they are set up.

Here is a link I found helpful...along with many other generic internet articles...

mv.VikingStar: Solar Panels on the Boat - Modeling and Performance

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote