Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #81
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: Solar Panel

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
*David, few would recognize that as a Mark V drop head.* Kudos to you.* The car that followed that was an XK120MC Lemans replica coupe.* Now, that was a car.* At the time it was the fastest production car made.* Had to have a set of spark plugs for in town and one for highway driving.* I could change them in about 5 minutes.

A V8 MGB ought to go like an outboard powered roller skate.* It should be a hoot to drive.* Did you use a small block 60s buick or a 289 Ford or 283 Chev.* Don't tell me you put a 350 in that beast.

*Buick 215. Plenty enough for me although if the engine ever goes belly up a tweaked Rover 3.9 would be a direct drop in replacement.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DavidHawkins.htm

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #82
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
*David, few would recognize that as a Mark V drop head.* Kudos to you.* The car that followed that was an XK120MC Lemans replica coupe.* Now, that was a car.* At the time it was the fastest production car made.* Had to have a set of spark plugs for in town and one for highway driving.* I could change them in about 5 minutes.

A V8 MGB ought to go like an outboard powered roller skate.* It should be a hoot to drive.* Did you use a small block 60s buick or a 289 Ford or 283 Chev.* Don't tell me you put a 350 in that beast.

*Buick 215. Plenty enough for me although if the engine ever goes belly up a tweaked Rover 3.9 would be a direct drop in replacement.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DavidHawkins.htm

*That is sooooooo cool!

GM should never have sold the tooling for that engine to the Brits.* With different heads and direct injection it would probably be good for over 300 hp.* With that light block and that much power it would really make a small car scream.

Since you are a fan of British cars (I am too), you probably know why Lucas got the name "prince of darkness".

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #83
Guru

Just to show how all this relates to boats, That small, light weight Buick V8 block turned on its end would have make a great power head for an outboard.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #84
TF Site Team

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Just to show how all this relates to boats, That small, light weight Buick V8 block turned on its end would have make a great power head for an outboard.
*Now there is an idea! Hmm.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #85
TF Site Team

Lucas, Prince of Darkness jokes

Lucas NOS Replacement Smoke Kit (read the Q&A section as well. This was actually auctioned on eBay a few years back)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #86
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Lucas, Prince of Darkness jokes

Lucas NOS Replacement Smoke Kit (read the Q&A section as well. This was actually auctioned on eBay a few years back)
*Life is just not easy for a British car fan.* Can't wait for the big wedding!* The prince certainly got a looker.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #87
Per
Guru

FW and DCBD, thank you..
yes i much prefer that symmetry also. I am not sure swinging up the panels really make much difference but since the mounts i choose had this option i decided to include it. For the most part the panels will be down, perhaps when at anchorage we will raise them if we find any benefit..
whats really great is that my kids can still sit on the FB lip when we are underway, it is one of their favorite spots to hang out when i am piloting from the FB.
I could see myself converting to a hard top open bimini and putting panels on top also..
but for now i think will stick to these two panels.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #88
TF Site Team

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:Life is just not easy for a British car fan.* Can't wait for the big wedding!* The prince certainly got a looker.
Will their Limo have BMW power or be, whole or in part, built by the Germans or a German owned company?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #89
Per
Guru

here are some initial observations.

my meter has a data logging, so you can see certain data for up to 30 days.

one of the data it logs is the solar AH into the batteries.

since it is newly installed, i only have data from 3 days as follows:

day 1: 83 AH

day 2: 56 AH

day 3: 55 AH

not sure why it is so much higher on day one, could be several reasons..
1. had the one panel angled up.
2. i used the boat that day, could be that the batteries needed more AH for charging, not yet sure how exactly the meter works.

I believe you could run a good fridge with those numbers, perhaps a little more also..

btw, i am very impressed with the production even when it is cloudy, for whatever reason i thought solar only worked when it is fully sunny, but i am getting very good readings even when it is completely overcast.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #90
Per
Guru

i used two panels of each 85W and a sunsaver MPPT CC.

this weekend i did some experimenting and unplugged the shoreline.
solar did fine, ran the fridge and radio etc. i used also the waterheater but that really takes some amps out of the battery banks.
according to the meter the solar supplied between 65 and 70 AH per day to the battery bank.
i am very happy with those numbers...
Old 08-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #91
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41

I am seriously considering installing a solar panel to keep my batteries charged when shore power is not available.

My boat has twin engines each with two start and two house batteries.
All four batteries charge via a ProMariner smart charger or the engine alternators (with Newmar battery isolators).
How (in general terms) would the solar panel be connected so that one system does not conflict with another?
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #92
Per
Guru

the panels should be installed with a special solar charge controller.
this controller will apply the current from the panels, so if another source is charging then it would probably only trickle charge.
this controller will also protect the panels so that a charge from the alternator or from the charger will not go into the panels.

what i generally do is to shut off the shorepower and just let the panels keep the batts topped off (also runs the fridge).
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #93
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Per wrote:
i used two panels of each 85W and a sunsaver MPPT CC.

this weekend i did some experimenting and unplugged the shoreline.
solar did fine, ran the fridge and radio etc. i used also the waterheater but that really takes some amps out of the battery banks.
according to the meter the solar supplied between 65 and 70 AH per day to the battery bank.
i am very happy with those numbers...

*Per:* Be Careful with the hot water heater.* I'm surprised that you can heat hot water through your inverter.* You can inadvertently drain/hurt your batteries.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #94
Per
Guru

Larry, true enough..
I have learned to use the waterheater sparingly.. when not on shore power or running the genny.
same goes for the electric stove and the icemaker..
Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #95

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

Our two 80W panels run our 24V freezer year round and keep the batteries fully charged. In summer, they will run the two 24V fridges as well. It's*definitely like getting something for nothing. Controller is a German Steca.

Hardly ever use the genset in summer - only for the vacuum cleaner every few days, but we don't run the inverter for hot water. The 75 litre tank*stays hot for about 24* hours if used sparingly.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #96
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41

Quote:
Per wrote:
the panels should be installed with a special solar charge controller.
this controller will apply the current from the panels, so if another source is charging then it would probably only trickle charge.
this controller will also protect the panels so that a charge from the alternator or from the charger will not go into the panels.

what i generally do is to shut off the shorepower and just let the panels keep the batts topped off (also runs the fridge).
*Per,

Thanks for the outline.

An HQRP charge controller / regulator is included in the Amazon advert you reference.

1. What made you choose the Sunsaver one over HQRP?

2. I assume the charge controllers have separate outlets for each battery. How many batteries can yours handle?

BTW: I Googled without success for a downloadable manual and/or circuit diagram which would have answered most of my questions.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #97
Per
Guru

I decided that I wanted to add a second panel and for that purpose the basic HQRP controller just doesnt do the job.

Once I decided on a second panel (and perhaps another to be added later), I started researching controllers.

MPPT is a technology which extracts the most optimal volt/amp point on the power curve and convert that into charging current on a 3 stage level (similar to a/c smart chargers).

It turns out that to get effective charging current, it is better to have incoming volt well above the charging level.

Therefore it is recommended to wire the panels in serial, this will produce a solar voltage of apprx 17 PV x 2 = 34 photovolts (based on 2 panels with a nominal voltage of 12 volt).

Regarding you question related to hown many batteries.. Most boat batteries are connected in a "bank" so you need not worry about connecting the controller to every battery, just one connection to the bank, and you could not connect it to two banks though the sunsaver mppt does have another load output where you could charge perhaps a smaller battery or run a small load.

here is the link to the sunsaver mppt including technical data:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sunsavermppt
Old 08-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #98
FF
Guru

"Our two 80W panels run our 24V freezer year round and keep the batteries fully charged. In summer, they will run the two 24V fridges as well."

3 fridges on 160W total !!!

Almost a miracle , how large are these?

Usually ONE fridge needs 60A-80A of 12V or 30A - 40A of 24v in 24 hours .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #99
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

In speaking with a buddy who has solar on his blowboat, I learned that his 400W system in Mexican waters provides him with a reliable 120A (@12V) per day. I suppose about 100A from a 400W panel would be realistic in the mid-latitudes like CA or NC.
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #100
Per
Guru

absolutely, i get up to 80 Amp hours on only 2 x 85 watt.
the MPPT controller makes a difference, and especially if you are located in a cloudy or not always sunny location.