FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #62
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Solar Panel

FlyWright

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but what I hear you saying is that you don't care about the planet on which you live? Your only concern is about what effects you financially? I hope I am mistaken, but that's what I hear, when others deny any intention to be green.*

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:01 AM   #63

Carey, if you wish to be a tree hugger, thats ok by me; just don't expect me to participate. I have other things on my mind
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:11 AM   #64
FF
Guru

"but that's what I hear, when others deny any intention to be green. "

GREEN is pure BS , like Hi Fi was decades ago. Meaningless .

Remember the "ozone hole"???? cost the use of far less efficient (and yet more costly) refrigerants worldwide.

The price is 15% less efficient refrigeration and air cond WORLDWIDE!!

What is the Green price of that fiasco, now that the scienific community admits they have NO KNOWLEDGE of how an Ozone hole forms.

A complete economic disaster caused by a "What If " theory , based on pure speculation and hype.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #65
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Well, aside from the so-called green reasons, what about the appeal of getting energy from a free, naturally supplied source? Surely you can relate to that...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #66
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

My take is the green thing will be here because of the free market.* I see it in our business.* Whether it pays off for the environment or not, it is a reality in the market.* Our schools are teaching it, and kids believe it all.* Because of this along with the more economical operation of the home, we incorporate many features in our developments.

I do not believe in subsidizing cars, heat pumps, or any other "green" products with government money.* If they can't stand on their own in the free market, let them wait until the market demands them if ever.

Solar panels, LED lighting, efficient refrigeration and anything else that makes cruising more independent and comfortable is a wonderful thing.* However, I don't believe in subsidising those.

My eyes were opened to the cost of being "green" years ago when I offered to take recyclables from our constrution sites to the recycling center.* They refused it.* Then admitted that it was something to let the citicens know that they were helping the environment.* It was a costly money loser.* We recycle what we can-----metals, use engineered products with less waste, but still have to haul to the contruction and demolition dump.

Green is coming, but let the market take care of it.* It always does.

Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #67
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
Carey wrote:
FlyWright

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but what I hear you saying is that you don't care about the planet on which you live? Your only concern is about what effects you financially? I hope I am mistaken, but that's what I hear, when others deny any intention to be green.*

*Carey,* If I was really concerned about my carbon footprint, I wouldn't own a powerboat and neither would you.* We'd both be sailors.* Truth be told, it's not that I don't care about the planet I live on, I do.* I just don't jump on every bandwagon that sings a new tune as it passes down the street.*

I own a hybrid because it's more efficient than the non-hybrid version of the same car, but it's a luxury SUV that I bought used after the depreciation made it cost effective.* I conserve power where practical to save money, but I drive over the speed limit routinely to save time.* I own a 'green' rechargeable Neuton lawn mower because it makes sense practically and financially, but don't ask me to give up internal cumbustion engines for other forms of power assistance.*

It's got to make financial sense to turn the masses toward better efficiency.* Some on the left want to do that by making current methods more expensive through taxes, artificially raised prices, new fees and 'carbon credits', a form of prepaid power consumption indulgence.* I'm a free market capitalist and object to the tactics pushed by the left in forcing their agenda upon us commoners.* I'm not interested in pandering for lefty bonus points. Your condescending ways are less than flattering.

Back to this topic, I'm interested in powering boat systems efficiently, quietly and effectively.* Where were we...
Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #68
Per
Guru

seems the thread is going towards TDE...

electrical powered cars are coming to stay, it is the future.
combustion powered cars will become less and less.
personally i love the idea to get stuff for free and not pollute the environment at the same time.
pretty sure you will see solar panels on my house in the next couple years, and my next car most likely will be 100% electrical.

subsidizing the development of new technologies is a way to speed up the deployment process.
soon solar and wind energy will be cheaper than carbon energies, but not until the technology can be mass produced is it cheap enough to compete.
if you think gas and oil industry is not subsidized you are gravely mistaken.

recycling has always been taught to me, my grandfather would use old bread to feed the pigs on the farm.
he had a big stove in the basement, could pretty much burn anything to heat up the house and warm water.
throwing out stuff is a 20th century invention...
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Per wrote:
seems the thread is going towards TDE...

electrical powered cars are coming to stay, it is the future.
combustion powered cars will become less and less.
personally i love the idea to get stuff for free and not pollute the environment at the same time.
pretty sure you will see solar panels on my house in the next couple years, and my next car most likely will be 100% electrical.

subsidizing the development of new technologies is a way to speed up the deployment process.
soon solar and wind energy will be cheaper than carbon energies, but not until the technology can be mass produced is it cheap enough to compete.
if you think gas and oil industry is not subsidized you are gravely mistaken.

recycling has always been taught to me, my grandfather would use old bread to feed the pigs on the farm.
he had a big stove in the basement, could pretty much burn anything to heat up the house and warm water.
throwing out stuff is a 20th century invention...
*Per, I have a plug in electric vehicle (hybrids are sooo yesterday).* It is licensed to drive on any street with no more that a 35 mph speed limit.* I live in an urban area and use it for chores around town and sometimes going to dinner.

I got a tax credit for buying it which was ridiculous.* There is no reason for the government to be subsidizing that or any other "green" products.* As far as I am concerned, the thing is powered partly by coal.* The other part nuclear with a little hydro.* No carbon foot print?* It is coming out of the smoke stack at the coal fired steam plant.* We use efficient lighting, wahter heating, insulation, and HVAC units.* We do this because they make sense and have a pay back.* The market will in the end show which products win.* If they do not win in the market place, they will not survive.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	golf cart arrival 4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	5783  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #70
FF
Guru

This has been going on for 3 decades, so far a waste of everyones time and money.

In Spain 2 1/2 jobs lost for each "energy " job , sounds like a great idea!

When the tech produces price and utility better than carbon . the free market will change , as fast as production can be created.

Today an "electric car" is really a coal fired car.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #71
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote: Per, I have a plug in electric vehicle (hybrids are sooo yesterday).**
*Way to go Don! When the "all electrics" go more than a few miles without needing a recharge, I'll buy one. But until then, I'll stick with this.........

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	prius.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	5794  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #72
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Moonstruck wrote:Per, I have a plug in electric vehicle (hybrids are sooo yesterday).**
*Way to go Don! When the "all electrics" go more than a few miles without needing a recharge, I'll buy one. But until then, I'll stick with this.........

*Walt, my statement above was with tongue planted firmly in cheek.* The only reason I bought the thing was the money for the tax credit could be sent to the government to squander or get the plug in vehicle.* It just shows how our money is misused.*

Old 04-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #73
Per
Guru

personally i am looking at the Nissan Leaf of possible Tesla when they come out with a 4 door.
and i agree, electric cars are for the most part coal powered, but that i am guessing will change.
california has as the first state put in law that all utilities must get min 33% energy from renewable sources by 2020.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #74
Per
Guru

update on my solar panel project.... I AM DONE.
panels are up and producing 25-34 volts.

the sunpower mppt controller works like a charm.

if anyone needs help of assistance in ways to install solar, please do not hesitate to contact me.
i spent a considerable time researching and finding the "best bang for your buck".

bottom line for me is 2 x 85 W panels, with controller and a remote meter ran me roughly $1000.

here is a photo taken right as i was done, dog snug in the picture, she is such a ham...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	5797  
Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #75
Guru

Both the vehicles in the garage behind my electric town chariot are diesel powered.* I have been driving diesel powered vehicles since 1976.* By my calculations that is 35 years. Prior to that I had 2 four cylinder Volvos and a Corvair.* That means over 49 years of economical driving.* However I had my share of great autos.* Here is one of my cars that I had in the 50's.*
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1951-jaguar-mark-v-drophead-coupe-fa-lr.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	5798  
Old 04-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #76
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Solar Panel

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Both the vehicles in the garage behind my electric town chariot are diesel powered.* I have been driving diesel powered vehicles since 1976.* By my calculations that is 35 years. Prior to that I had 2 four cylinder Volvos and a Corvair.* That means over 49 years of economical driving.* However I had my share of great autos.* Here is one of my cars that I had in the 50's.*
Hubba, Hubba! As a former Jag owner (1960's 3.8S sedan) that drophead* turns me on. Reduced to a V8 MGB conversion in my (current) latter years.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Monday 25th of April 2011 03:30:34 PM
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #77
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Solar Panel

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Quote:
Walt, my statement above was with tongue planted firmly in cheek. __________________________________________________ ______
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that, Don. * (LMAO)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 25th of April 2011 03:34:11 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #78
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
Hubba, Hubba! As a former Jag owner (1960's 3.8S sedan) that drophead* turns me on. Reduced to a V8 MGB conversion in my (current) latter years.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Monday 25th of April 2011 03:30:34 PM

*David, few would recognize that as a Mark V drop head.* Kudos to you.* The car that followed that was an XK120MC Lemans replica coupe.* Now, that was a car.* At the time it was the fastest production car made.* Had to have a set of spark plugs for in town and one for highway driving.* I could change them in about 5 minutes.

A V8 MGB ought to go like an outboard powered roller skate.* It should be a hoot to drive.* Did you use a small block 60s buick or a 289 Ford or 283 Chev.* Don't tell me you put a 350 in that beast.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #79
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Solar Panel

Quote:
Per wrote:

if anyone needs help of assistance in ways to install solar, please do not hesitate to contact me.
i spent a considerable time researching and finding the "best bang for your buck".

bottom line for me is 2 x 85 W panels, with controller and a remote meter ran me roughly $1000.

here is a photo taken right as i was done, dog snug in the picture, she is such a ham...
*Looks great, Per.* I like the symmetry of having two panels.* Being able to swing them up or down is nice, too.*

-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 25th of April 2011 09:16:08 PM
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #80

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

Quote:
Per wrote:

*Looks very nice Per, I think you chose to right spot to mount them. You will be happy with the result I think.

DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote