Solar Installation Guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Say you have a 1000AH bank, that's big enough for a small A/C unit, huge by most mobile standards. If that's lead 500AH usable for longevity, and say that's how much needs restoring.

If it's old-school FLA, from 50% SoC to say 80% will take 2+ hours, since around 150A is the maximum current the chemistry will accept, so forget about your KW charger.

After the Absorb voltage setpoint is passed, the resistance rises, current accepted declines, that last 80-100% -which you DO need to get to for bank longevity - will likely take at least 4-5 hours, very quickly current amps dropping to low two-digits, finally down to the defined-full point below 10A.

That's where it would be stupid to devote dino juice to just charging, and exactly where you get more than your money's worth out of solar.

With a smaller bank you easily may never need to run a motor unless you want to for other reasons.

With a higher CAR lead chemistry like quality AGM, you get past .5C rates, if your charger/alts can put out 500A, in theory you get that early stage done in half the time, but the long tail will take nearly as long.

LiFePO4 is even faster acceptance, and **never** needs to get to 100%, so that buys a lot more flexibility, no need for solar if you don't like it.

But at seven+ times the cost plus specialized charge sources required, call it an extra $2K on top.

For liveaboards and others on the hook away from shore long periods, solar is a no-brainer.

And when the batteries are fully charged the controller will enter float mode with very little current being supplied to the bank. IMHO-- SOLAR is the way to go and on top of that, it is silent!

In haste I misstated "are fully charged" where I should have stated " ended absorption"

John's above post is EXCELLENT and provides a better explanation than mine. Keep it up John!!

A small solar panel is a great addition to make sure that your batteries always get recharged to 100% and stay charged if you are on a mooring like us.

We have 220 AH of house capacity plus a NextGen 3.5KW genset. If we are anchored out for a few days, running the genset for a half hour morning and night brings the batteries back to 85%. Then when we get back to our mooring the solar panel brings the batteries up to 100% within a day or so.

I have a 100 watt panel with an inexpensive Morningstar PWM controller. It cost about $200 for materials to install.

David

In haste I misstated "are fully charged" where I should have stated " ended absorption"

John's above post is EXCELLENT and provides a better explanation than mine. Keep it up John!!
why thank you kind sir [emoji9]

Note that was no error.

Many (most) automatic charge sources end the Absorb cycle **way** too early.

Float should only happen when the bank is 100% Full. Think of it as "standby mode" ready to carry any loads coming online so the bank stays full. And for long-term storage when there are no loads.

LFP should not be floated at all.

Do you have a photo of them in use? Looks like a quality piece.

As promised: (shims required because of the crowning of the roof. Well caulked around the bases. Note how I needed some height because of the vent covers).

Attachments

• Clips Installed1.jpg
    Clips Installed1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 86
  • Clips Installed2.jpg
    Clips Installed2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 89
Now consider solar and Twisted's assumptions...1KW in panels and an MPPT controller (high nineties for efficiency) charging currents will be about 1000/14= 71 amps for 5 hours or 355 amp hours returned to your battery bank. And when the batteries are fully charged the controller will enter float mode with very little current being supplied to the bank. IMHO-- SOLAR is the way to go and on top of that, it is silent!

But it's even more than that. Even if the output is too low to charge the panels, you get a contribution on the realtime loads so the demands on the batteries are lessened. That is the case early and later in the day, or on overcast and rainy days.

We have found that our 24 hour demand is about 200-250 amp-hours. We have 435 watts of panels. We used to run the genny for 1.5 hours in the morning and another 1.5 hours in the evening and there was always a deficit of at least 5%. Now, on a sunny day, our bank is fully charged by 3-4:00pm and the loads are carried on until 8-9:00 pm before we run into the negative. We rarely find a deficit in the morning that exceeds 80 amp hours on our 1125 amp hour bank, and we always get our bank fully charged each day, with a combination of running, etc. The genny is used exclusively for washing and to offset the demands of the Webasto hydronic system.

I made my own mounting brackets out of 1.5" aluminum angle (1/4" thickness). Less than $20. I just drilled holes before cutting it with a mitre saw. They are assembled to form a "U" and I glued them down on the PH roof with 4200, no holes or screws. They are rock solid but may have to be reglued in a couple of years.

IMG_2020.jpg

Excellent job on your brackets!!! And by keeping your battery bank from depletion, you should get many years of use from it!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom