SOC advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a dual alternator setup (only one engine), but I do have a Bluesea Automatic Charge Relay (ACR) which keeps the house and engine battery tied together for charing, and separate when not charging. I can override the relay setting using a switch at the helm, e.g. to use the house battery for starting.

I have the SOC meter for my Magnum inverter. Works great, but the boat went almost 30 years with a just a voltmeter so I can't argue that it's essential equipment.

Is there any way to add the starboard alternator to the house bank for charging only? With a total of 160 amps max on tap, it would be a shame to buy another alternator, unless they can't be tied together for charging only.

You can very easily utilize both engines alternators to charge yoyur batteries. Just get an ACR and install it between the house and start banks.

That way either engine or both will change the batteries.

Some are going th say "oh no the voltage regulators will fight each other!!!" In theory that argument has some merit, in practically the ACR setup works just fine.

Don: Another way to reduce generator run time would be to up the size of your AC charger. I don't know if you can add another Charles to the one you have but Iota would be one brand to consider if you're looking for just a charger. I think Tom/Gonzo just installed one. :)

Don: Another way to reduce generator run time would be to up the size of your AC charger. I don't know if you can add another Charles to the one you have but Iota would be one brand to consider if you're looking for just a charger. I think Tom/Gonzo just installed one. :)

Thanks, Larry. I am leaning toward just that-----adding another charger for quicker generator charging, and changing the port alternator to at least a 120 amp with smart regulator. As suggested before that will give a spare alternator. All suggestions to solve the problem have merit. After reading about the ACR, I am not certain how it works since it does not sense the battery with the lower voltage. I never realized that there would be so many choices. Is this a great country, or what?:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom