Snake oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For 10% of the cost of new batteries, I'd replace them. Come south and no duty. If they need that kind of help, maybe replace them now while commodities are low? :)

Not the first product to come on the market claiming to extend battery life or fix sulfated LA batteries.

I have no personal experience with this product, but I have had acquaintances who did use similar products to save or recondition their LA batteries all to no avail.

Maybe best to talk to a battery distributor/manufacture for their advise and recommendation on the subject.

For 10% of the cost of new batteries, I'd replace them. Come south and no duty. If they need that kind of help, maybe replace them now while commodities are low? :)

My batteries are fine for now, thanks. I'd never heard of this stuff before. I'd want a lot more info before I put anything other than distilled water into my batteries.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Battery Equaliser Review - Battery Charging Equipment in San Marcos, CA - BBB Business Review - BBB serving San Diego, Orange and Imperial Counties

DESCRIPTION OF RELATED ART
[0027]
It is well known that excess sulphation remaining on plates is what frequently makes a battery stop working way before its normal number of cycles is completely spent. This condition can be inhibited as shown by Villarreal-Dominguez, U.S. Pat. No. 3,964,927, Roland Greene, U.S. Pat. No. 4,617,244, Komoda, U.S. Pat. No. 5,738,956, John Willis, U.S. Pat. No. 5,945,236.

CAVEAT EMPTOR:

However, it may take a relatively long time after the electrolyte of a battery is treated to see positive results and it may require an additional treatment on a regular basis to continue solving the problem.

Source: http://www.google.ch/patents/US20040018427

Last edited:
Sounds similar to Inox battery conditioner which we discussed previously in the context of sulphation. I think it helped 2 batteries on my boat, but it`s hard to be sure. Searching Inox produces a range of opinions.

Myself and a friend have used it, bought it at a local boat show. Your right in that it wasn't cheap. We tried it on several batteries of various sizes and ages and it did nothing that either of us could tell. A complete waste of money in my experience and opinion.

If you overcharge your batteries for a couple of hours, ie. Let them nearly 'boil ' it will often get rid of the scum that forms on the plates.

Obviously they'll get quite hot; it will either cure them or kill them!

PS: too many amps will buckle the plates, but it takes a surprising amount of power to do that.

Back
Top Bottom