Small boat AIS Identifier vs. Transponders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
The gov't of Qatar just passed a new regulation requiring all boats to be equipped with AIS. We have serious security threats and concerns here, so the waterways are very tightly controlled now. So I need to outfit my little 20ft fisherman with this transponder:

em-trak I100 – AIS Identifier | SRT Marine Systems

What I'm wondering is what is the real difference between this unit (which costs $390 here) versus a more mainstream transponder which costs double? Also, would this little, portable unit be adequate for a full size trawler?

It looks like it won't connect to a chart plotter to display other AIS vessels. It also appears to need a separate dock to connect it to a computer for the initial programming.

Wish someone knowledgeable of this device would chime in on it. I have looked at the data sheet on it and can't figure out what it would do for some one in this country. It appears to provide the capability for someone like Marine Traffic to track your boat. From what I can tell, it doesn't provide you with information about other boats in the area. Also, I was wondering how you get your MMSI ID into it.

Maybe the Panbo guys will do a write up explaining it.

It appears to provide the capability for someone like Marine Traffic to track your boat. From what I can tell, it doesn't provide you with information about other boats in the area. Also, I was wondering how you get your MMSI ID into it.

From what I can figure, it is programmed by the dealer. It seems to be similar to the units fishermen use to track the location of their nets. Also, I know that in this country the concern certainly is NOT for safety of boats, but so that security forces can track all vessels on the water.

So based on that, I would say that you are correct in your statements, so it probably cannot be interfaced into your own boat. This appears to be solely a Big Brother device.

We have an em-trak B100 AIS transponder, great little unit. It connected easily to our Standard Horizon GX2000. It's very helpful to get a profile on surrounding vessels, and we even got called a couple times on our East Coast trip. Setup was easy, and even the configuration file that (US) owners aren't allowed to program ourselves wasn't too much of a hassle -- a West Marine tech just emailed me a tiny computer file that I flashed onto the configuration card with my laptop. Grabbed ours used on eBay for around $200 and luckily everything worked perfectly, right down to the cables and GPS mushroom. All that said however, the I100 that the original poster emailed about -- I don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something, but the other posters seem to be correct -- how do you display anything? What's the interface with a chartplotter or VHF radio with an AIS display? Em-trak's product info says it has a vessel position log option and "GPS fence" function but how do you even see it or set it or download the position log?

I agree with the others, why bother, why not just get full capability for about the same price, a unit that will actually be useful and do you some good. Otherwise it's just like being a moose in Alaska tagged with a big radio collar. Or like a criminal defendant wearing an ankle bracelet.

I bought Vesper Marine XB-6000 AIS Class B transponder
box one you can connected to the boat battery , i dont like the Identifier because maybe you forget it at home when you charge it or the battery die on board

The gov't of Qatar just passed a new regulation requiring all boats to be equipped with AIS. We have serious security threats and concerns here, so the waterways are very tightly controlled now. So I need to outfit my little 20ft fisherman with this transponder:

em-trak I100 – AIS Identifier | SRT Marine Systems

What I'm wondering is what is the real difference between this unit (which costs $390 here) versus a more mainstream transponder which costs double? Also, would this little, portable unit be adequate for a full size trawler?

What you should wonder is: Does it meet the legal requirements of the country you will be using it in?

Obama was considering requiring something similar for recreational boats in the USA. Presumably even Uncle Bubba's duck boat.

Don't they know that a boater who doesn't want to be identified or tracked can just turn it off or disconnect it?

Last edited:
What you should wonder is: Does it meet the legal requirements of the country you will be using it in?

Obama was considering requiring something similar for recreational boats in the USA. Presumably even Uncle Bubba's duck boat.

Don't they know that a boater who doesn't want to be identified or tracked can just turn it off or disconnect it?

Unit is purchased and installed and my boat has been re-registered. AIS is now a requirement for registration of any boat, even Uncle Ali's duck boat. Only two units are available in this country, the one mentioned and the Garmin unit for $1k, so I went this route.

BTW, turning off your AIS when out on the water is a bad idea and within 15 minutes you find a 40 foot 1500 hp Coast Guard boat riding up your arse if you do.

Ais

as ministry of transportation in qatar the minimum requirement class B AIS transponder & any mobile DSC VHF radio , I found dealer for Vespermarine in qatar i bought on for 800$ with full accessorise and antenna
some stores in qatar they selling AIS S.A.R.T and AIS beacon as AIS transponder and they get licenses form ict I don't know how they approved ???

Unit is purchased and installed and my boat has been re-registered. AIS is now a requirement for registration of any boat, even Uncle Ali's duck boat. Only two units are available in this country, the one mentioned and the Garmin unit for $1k, so I went this route.

BTW, turning off your AIS when out on the water is a bad idea and within 15 minutes you find a 40 foot 1500 hp Coast Guard boat riding up your arse if you do.

I'm not suggesting that anyone do it, I'm saying a person intent on criminal action could do it. First of course, don't turn it on when you head out, but even if it's on and you have bombs aboard that 15 minutes should give you the time you need.

And of course, how do they find you if you've turned the identifier off?

And of course, how do they find you if you've turned the identifier off?

I've pulled up to speak to these guys as they sit playing on their iPhones. Very simple… they watch their radar and any targets that don't have an AIS identification associated with it will get further investigation. On a quiet, boring summer day (say 120 degrees F or above) their isn't much motivation, but when the Emir is expected to fly overhead then things get busy!

BTW I dont' think the threat is from bombs, but mostly from smugglers crossing from Saudi with drugs and also cutting off people sneaking in who might have ulterior motives (like Daesh sympathizers or agents).

It's not the same experience as boating back home in the Land of the Free, but we get paid a lot more :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom