Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post

. You will also want to look at the color temperature. I think warm is between 2700 and 4000k. I'm sure someone else can confirm this.

We saw a significant drop in our daily amp usage after making the switch.

That is correct with one change. Probably 2700 to about 3000 on the Kelvin scale is warm white. As you get up around 4-5000 it gets more blue and hard. We changed all the cabin lights on Moonstruck to LED. It caused a significant drop in battery drain. We also changed the anchor light from a 40 watt incandescent to LED saving about 38 watts. I think we used 24 G-4s in the cabin lights.

Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
City: North Charleston, SC
re: LED lighting:

LED lighting is the future and it's a great way to conserve energy on a boat. However:

The cheap LED replacement bulbs that do not include a driver will vary in brightness with the boat's DC voltage. They will dim when you run a heavy draw appliance like a microwave (on an inverter) and get brighter when a charging voltage is present (like when the engine is running). Because they have to be designed to withstand the highest expected voltage, they are not normally as bright as they could be. Non-driver LEDs are polorized so you may have to reverse the wires to the sockets.

LEDs with drivers solve the above problems but they are more expensive and the driver circuits sometimes emit RF interference. I had to design and install filters on two of mine because they blanked out one of the local TV channels.

Color temperature is very important because the normal "white" LEDs produce a very harsh bluish white light. For interior lighting you should be looking for "warm white" LEDs or arrays.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
can someone explain what a soc meter is?Not familiar with that abbreviation> thanks
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
TF Site Team
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
State of Charge - battery condition monitoring of voltage, amp hours and amp charge rate. Here's an example:

XANTREX Monitor at West Marine
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #25

tinped is offline   Reply With Quote