Sitex autopilot advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwk

Vessel Name
Patty Ann
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Looking to add a autopilot to a 34' trawler. Interested in what models SITEX other have installed including pump size. All info,comments advice ,do's /don'ts appreciated.thanks David

Following- Si-Tex SP-70 is at the top of my list.

I installed an SP-70 in my Albin. With the larger pump. I don't remember the volume, but I measured my cylinder at the time and went with the larger pump. At the time there was no price difference.
I think the only downside of the smaller would be a slightly slower response time that likely would not be noticeable at 7 knots.

I went with the SP 70 because I don't have any space on my upper helm to mount a control head. I mounted the bracket for the handheld just below the dash vertically and its easy to use either in the bracket or in my lap.
The plug for the controller is in the middle of the flybridge so the first mate can use it to steer (dodge) from time to time so I can take a break.
I bought a second station plug and mounted it at the lower helm in case I want to bring the control head below.
I don't know what else you need to know. Ask.

Now I see you have a Mainship 1. You can use the smaller pump. That I know.

I installed an SP-80 with an octopus pump on my 40 foot Marine Trader. If memory serves me I adjusted the adjustable pump to turn the rudders lock to lock in 10 seconds. I bought an SP-70 control head for the flybridge. So far I am very happy with the system. Mostly I use it to maintain a heading. Once or twice I have used it on a navigation route. Works well. I have yet to use it in awful following seas where it will be most challenged.

I installed the SP-70/80. I don't know how the previous owners traveled 35,000 miles without one.

Back
Top Bottom