Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Sirius XM radio- prices are all over the map

We've had Sirius and XM for years, and am still baffled about their pricing structure. Currently we have 3 units (2 cars, and the boat) and I just renewed the service for all 3.

Their first offer was $187/year per unit. I declined.
Their second offer came in at $102.13/year per unit. Again, declined.

Their final offer, which was accepted, came in at $34 per unit for 6 months.

$68 vice $187- quite a difference.

Service is up and operating, and they are mailing me an invoice. (note- if you give them a credit or debit card, you'll automatically be renewed at the then-current rates...)

How many go thru this bewildering ritual, too?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
It came in both my new car and pickup, used it free for 30 days. They have called me weekly for over a year and I don't even pick up any more. I am fine with the good old radio.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #3

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
Just yesterday I agreed to six months for $25.00 plus tax. Think the ttl was $31 and change.

No rhyme or reason. Must have something to do with the transition/phase of the moon.
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
We've had Sirius and XM for years, and am still baffled about their pricing structure. Currently we have 3 units (2 cars, and the boat) and I just renewed the service for all 3.

Their first offer was $187/year per unit. I declined.
Their second offer came in at $102.13/year per unit. Again, declined.

Their final offer, which was accepted, came in at $34 per unit for 6 months.

$68 vice $187- quite a difference.

Service is up and operating, and they are mailing me an invoice. (note- if you give them a credit or debit card, you'll automatically be renewed at the then-current rates...)

How many go thru this bewildering ritual, too?
Same with me. I NEVER agree to renew at the first renewal option. I call them back and moan & groan and get that $68 price. Makes you wonder

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler
mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Same here. They kept calling me about re-newal of the service after an initial 90 day trial, but I kept saying no and they kept lowering the price. Maybe the agents are working on commission. Anyway, I had the service in one of our cars in 2005, and when we moved to Germany in 2007, they kept renewing with no permission to do so. After I complained, they returned the money. The whole planning and intention of the company is confusing. I know they want all the business they can get, but their marketing plan seems disorganized and inconsistent.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
I don't understand their business model but it seems to me that their costs are the same to send their signal to one individual as it is to let a million access it. And, then they sell you radios, special events etc. Just sayin'.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Now you have me courious. I have had at least two credit card changes to the card that is on file for auto billing. Never paid any attention to the obvious multiple rates AND I have never been told your card is not good or out of date or whatever. Strange, everything continues to work, Could it be I am an Presidential recipicant of a unintended stimulas package other than the federal government?

Al-Ketchikan(Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I've been around long enough to remember when cable TV first came out. The promise was "$10 a month for all the local channels, plus new channels without commercials."

Obviously that didn't last. You can see why I'm skeptical of satellite radio.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
When I use SIRIUS/XM does it really matter which service? The channels are delivered to my KVH M3 on Direct TV. The 1st few years I owned the old boat I never realized this. So why pay for the service twice if you can get it from your satellite TV provider? Ever since the advent of Bluetooth music providers I find I use PANDORA (the free service) through my Garmin entertainment system. Garmin bought FUSION my old boat had the FUSION with the BT200 receiver the new boat has the Garmin system. Now if you are talking about their weather packages for say Garmin chart plotters that's an entirely different package. Since I'm a coastal/ ICW boater I stopped using my SIRIUS package and used a service provided by AT&T over GSM you simply pay per the day. Most days I don't need it for those rare occasions where I need it I simply press the purchase weather tab and I get 24 hours on my Garmin network via NMEA2000. I understand there is a sunset date the service will be turned off sometime in 2016 until then I'll use it as needed. If I traveled to the Bahamas I would pay better attention to my NAVTEX receiver or the 20 meter band (14.300MHz) Cruisers Net.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote