Old 02-24-2016, 11:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I have a single alternator, charging the house bank. It's an Amptech 125. I have an identical,one as a spare, still in its box. It's an easy fix if the alternator fails. I have a Balmar digital duo charge, that in theory looks after the starter bank, but currently isn't functioning properly and work on it is on the spring"to do" list. The PO has hooked up the Blue Sea smart charging relay with remote switches for the helm. I don't use this setup to charge the starter batteries as they are Group 24's and the house bank comprises 10 T105's. So, the start batteries are not combined with the house bank unless the windlass is in operation. The starter batteries have a dedicated charter when on shore or generator power. Still there's a bit of work to do here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456375553.162438.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	49259

The Genny also has a dedicated start battery, that is separately charged. The bow thruster is 24 volt and also has a dedicated charger and separate AGM bank under the master berth.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #22
FF
Guru

"Is there a reason why voltage sensitive relays aren't used on single alternator boats instead of the traditional Perkins style 1/2/all/off switches? For instance, Marinco/BEP makes a VSR that automatically charges the start battery until it hits a certain voltage then charges the house bank. There is a manual switch to combine banks in case of emergency. I believe blue seas makes a similar product.

Cost , complexity and reliability.

Why bother ????

when for nothing you rotate a switch one notch, or for $18 you don't have to rely on unrepairable transistor toys that require a mechanical backup?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #23

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Is there a reason why voltage sensitive relays aren't used on single alternator boats instead of the traditional Perkins style 1/2/all/off switches? For instance, Marinco/BEP makes a VSR that automatically charges the start battery until it hits a certain voltage then charges the house bank. There is a manual switch to combine banks in case of emergency. I believe blue seas makes a similar product.

Cost , complexity and reliability.

Why bother ????

when for nothing you rotate a switch one notch, or for $18 you don't have to rely on unrepairable transistor toys that require a mechanical backup?

Gotcha, thanks
Old 02-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
Gotcha, thanks
Well, there are used and they work quite well and reliably. At least the ones I've installed or been associated with have.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #25

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Well, there are used and they work quite well and reliably. At least the ones I've installed or been associated with have.

Yeah, I've got one on my center console that's been awesome. But it's a smaller setup...
Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
definitely have to be careful of the mismatch of house bank size versus engine start...not just any VSR will work.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote