Old 02-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

City: Kittery, ME
Simrad Sonar with Forward Scan transducer

I am considering buying the Simrad NSS9 Evo2 display with a NAVICO Forward Scan transducer. Has anyone had any experience with this unit? The only question I have is why do they recommend taking the transducer out if it is going to be in the salt water for more than a week?
CharliePatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliePatten View Post
I am considering buying the Simrad NSS9 Evo2 display with a NAVICO Forward Scan transducer. Has anyone had any experience with this unit? The only question I have is why do they recommend taking the transducer out if it is going to be in the salt water for more than a week?
That seems silly. I've never heard of that from any of the other vendors.

I've been following the various user reports on the latest generation of forward sonars, and so far the Garmin seems to be the best. It's really important to understand what they can and can't do, but in the context of their capabilities, the Garmin seems to work the best - or at least there are more people admitting they have one and saying they find it useful.

But removing a transducer if it's going to be in salt water for more than a week? Don't most of our boats live in salt water all the time? That sounds like a completely unworkable solution.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

The NAVICO transducer is designed so that it can be removed from the boat in the water. The only criteria is that it be placed somewhere that is easily accessible.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
The NAVICO transducer is designed so that it can be removed from the boat in the water. The only criteria is that it be placed somewhere that is easily accessible.
I haven't seen it specifically, but assume it's like my Airmar transducer that can be removed with the boat in the water, and a plug installed in its place. At a minimum you will get a good gush of water and flood the immediate area with salt water. And that assumes the transducer comes out easily, and the plug goes in easily. I pulled mine when hauled because the transducer needed to be replaced. It was not as simple and smooth a task as the ideal case. The old transducer didn't just pull out easily, and the new one took some work to get fully seated. I would do it while the boat was in the water if I had to, but would not want to be doing it every time I go out, which is more or less what the Navico device is calling for.

The only reason I can imagine they suggest removing the transducer after a week is because they have a problem with salt water incursion into the device. I'd run away, not walk away. But in teh interest of full disclosure, I have also been burned badly by Navico products, so am highly skeptical of everything they say.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #5
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

I haven't seen it specifically, but assume it's like my Airmar transducer that can be removed with the boat in the water, and a plug installed in its place. At a minimum you will get a good gush of water and flood the immediate area with salt water. And that assumes the transducer comes out easily, and the plug goes in easily. I pulled mine when hauled because the transducer needed to be replaced. It was not as simple and smooth a task as the ideal case. The old transducer didn't just pull out easily, and the new one took some work to get fully seated. I would do it while the boat was in the water if I had to, but would not want to be doing it every time I go out, which is more or less what the Navico device is calling for.

The only reason I can imagine they suggest removing the transducer after a week is because they have a problem with salt water incursion into the device. I'd run away, not walk away. But in teh interest of full disclosure, I have also been burned badly by Navico products, so am highly skeptical of everything they say.
Unlike twistedtree my experience with the Navico suite of products has beem remarkably problem free, literally plug and play including the forward scanning sonar. Perhaps the Garmin product is a bit better but unless one has installed and used both on the same boat how would one know. In any case the Navico works just fine as advertised limited by the depth of water which makes eminent sense to me. It's simple geometry at work.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:53 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yeah, but having to pull the transducer after a week in salt water sounds mad, bad, impractical, and frightfully off-putting. I really query that instruction, and if they are genuinely saying that, then I'd run a mile from the product. Yet previously I also have had good service from Navico products.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:20 AM   #7
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
affect the kind of crazy if you remove the sensor so often.

could the reason not to prevent contamination of the sensor tip. some materials can not be painted antifogul sensor is damaged, would this be possible? Smirad system, it seems appropriate if you are buying the whole system.

I studied the matter themselves extensively the last couple of weeks and I ended up echopilot platinium which can be combined with my old system Raymarin.

A little strange Smirad decided to use AISI gland, usually in bronze because we want to avoid electrical corrosion of different metals.

The most important thing in terms of the functioning of the FLS is the right location for the sensor and get it as right angle with respect to the water line. If this is successful, and the sensor must not disturb the flow of the bubbles and the turbulence it is successful and you are satisfied. several bad experiences with these devices and the functionality of the device, is caused by poor installation!
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:26 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
What is the diameter of the transducer, ie what size hole has to be closed when it is withdrawn? How is that done, does the mfr have a closure device, if so would you rely on it? Or is it just "plugged" as twistedtree suggests? Would you rely on that?
My Garmin transducer has been fine in salt water seven years (excl haulouts). What`s with this one its salt water max is 1 week?
If you still want this unit, can you mount the transducer inside the hull, ie "shoot through the hull". Some boats have a pocket for it. Others like mine you improvise. I have one thru hull and one shoot thru hull(Garmin said both GPS/Sounders run on one transducer so I bought them, but they can`t). To avoid another hole I set the transducer in silicone in a plastic tube(drainage line) using a level to get it vertical. It shoots thru a 1" solid f/g hull, initially takes a little time to "find" the bottom, after that it`s fine. I`d rather that than plug a hole in my boat.
Edit: The fwd facing aspect might rule out a "shoot thru" install.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:29 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
What is the diameter of the transducer, ie what size hole has to be closed when it is withdrawn? How is that done, does the mfr have a closure device, if so would you rely on it? Or is it just "plugged" as twistedtree suggests? Would you rely on that?
My Garmin transducer has been fine in salt water seven years (excl haulouts). What`s with this one its salt water max is 1 week?
If you still want this unit, can you mount the transducer inside the hull, ie "shoot through the hull". Some boats have a pocket for it. Others like mine you improvise. I have one thru hull and one shoot thru hull(Garmin said both GPS/Sounders run on one transducer so I bought them, but they can`t). To avoid another hole I set the transducer in silicone in a plastic tube(drainage line) using a level to get it vertical. It shoots thru a 1" solid f/g hull, initially takes a little time to "find" the bottom, after that it`s fine. I`d rather that than plug a hole in my boat.
Sorry, FLS sensor must always be made through the hull, otherwise it will not work.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Thanks NB, I thought of that too, just after posting, and added an edit.
There is special antifoul paint for transducers.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Thanks NB, I thought of that too, just after posting, and added an edit.
There is special antifoul paint for transducers.
Thank you, this was a good point to add the discussion. apparently this antifouling solvent-free and does not contain copper?
Old 02-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #12
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Yeah, but having to pull the transducer after a week in salt water sounds mad, bad, impractical, and frightfully off-putting. I really query that instruction, and if they are genuinely saying that, then I'd run a mile from the product. Yet previously I also have had good service from Navico products.
So, all this talk about the manufacturer recommending removing the transducer weekly misses the obvious. I ask you, what manufacturer would design such a product? Of course users would run away, rapidly. Someone here has conflated something that he read into something that isn't. Once this sort of misinformation, reinforced by speculation based on supposed facts takes hold on the internet, it is near impossible for the record to be corrected. It's an Airmar product. Really, does this make sense to anyone?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #13
Guru

I always go looking for the source data...
Interesting!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0260.jpg   IMG_0259.jpg  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #14
Guru

ForwardScan Transducer | Simrad Marine Electronics

The manual....http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root/...all_Manual.pdf

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The manual says if I am reading it correctly...
Yes, paint with water based anti fouling
Yes, growth is bad.
Yes, still remove it after a week.

I would guess that the remove might be as much for galvanic protection as the others as well as it might get damaged by debris.

The removal is easy enough, so it may be one of those.....all inclusive protections that helps with other issues.

Anyone that ever had a paddlewheel inset for boat speed knows that removal is easy, without much water and was easier than cleaning the wheel to make sure the speed was close.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Here's the entire section quoted from the manual:

Using the Blanking Plug
To protect the insert, use the blanking plug:
• When the boat will be kept in salt water for more than a week.
• When the boat will be removed from the water.
• When aquatic growth buildup on the insert is suspected due to
inaccurate readings from the instrument.
1. The O-rings must be intact and well lubricated to make a watertight seal.
On the blanking plug, inspect the O-rings (replace if necessary) and
lubricate them with the silicone lubricant supplied or petroleum jelly
(Vaseline®) (see Figure 7).
2. Remove the insert from the housing by removing the safety wire and
unscrewing the cap nut (see Figure 4). This will jack out
the insert. Grasp the insert and remove it with a slow pulling motion.
Slide the blanking plug into the housing. Be sure the blanking plug is
fully inserted. Screw the cap nut several turns until the threads are
engaged. Continue to tighten the cap nut completely. Hand tighten
only. Do not over tighten.
NOTE: In the very unlikely event that the valve breaks, replace the
housing the next time the boat is hauled.
3. Reattach the safety wire to prevent the blanking plug from backing out
in the unlikely event that the cap nut fails or is screwed on incorrectly.

Cleaning the Insert
Aquatic growth can accumulate rapidly on the transducer’s face reducing
performance within weeks. Clean the insert with a Scotch-Brite® scour pad
and mild household detergent, being careful to avoid making scratches. If
fouling is severe, lightly wet sand it with fine grade wet/dry paper.

Winterizing
After the boat has been hauled for winter storage, remove the blanking plug to let the water drain away before reinserting it. This will prevent any water from freezing around the blanking plug and possibly cracking it.

Seems to me like a lot of work and a lot of chances for issues and o-ring problems, a lot of in and out for a heavy user. If this was the only game in town, I might consider, but it isn't. No way I would consider this. It requires more babying than anything else on the boat. I call that a significant design weakness.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #17
Guru

I know, as in other, Garmin, Echopilot, Interphase is not such clothes to remove sensors surrounding sand dune boating season. Quite difficult sounds Smiradin system, although the influence okay otherwise...
Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Simrad Sonar with Forward Scan transducer

Quote:

Why do you feel you need it? You will of course answer, "So I can see what is in front of me in unknown water." Does that mean: "so I can get myself into a more difficult situation, shallower, more rocky waters in an anchorage, channel." Is that a good idea? Will it give you a false sense of security?

With this technology, the range attenuates with water depth: The shallower the water, the shorter the range you can "see" with the sonar. Once any part of the beam strikes bottom or surface, it can see no further. Make sure you understand the limits of this technology in shallow water. Don't let a salesman oversell the system.

It's kind of like 4-wheel drive: it can give you the confidence to travel into areas that you might not be able to get out of.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #19

Thanks Bruce for posting this information. I was just getting ready to do so myself!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #20

The transducer is plastic. The thru hull fitting is S/S. If I end up buying this I will connect the thru hull to my common bond system