Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
JCieh's Avatar
 
City: Berlin
Country: Germany
Vessel Name: Lullabye
Vessel Model: Altena Blue Water Trawler Variant
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to JCieh
Simrad NSS16 EVO2 with Simrad AP20

Hello,
Just ordered a Simrad NSS16EVO2 and an IS40 for exchange with my Simrad CP/DS42 Combo.
The question is now if the new unit will work with my Simrad AP20 (two control heads) and the Simrad Radar CR42?
Any ideas out there?
Or will I have to buy a new Simrad AC42 autopilot computer and will this work with the other old AP20 equipment (RFC35, RF300)?
Regards and thanks in advance, Jan
__________________
Advertisement

JCieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Yes, but they'll be talking via NMEA 0183.
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member
 
JCieh's Avatar
 
City: Berlin
Country: Germany
Vessel Name: Lullabye
Vessel Model: Altena Blue Water Trawler Variant
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to JCieh
Sounds good. Is the AP20 only getting the GPS information or can it be controlled via NMEA0183 and the NSS EVO?
JCieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCieh View Post
Sounds good. Is the AP20 only getting the GPS information or can it be controlled via NMEA0183 and the NSS EVO?
On most chartplotters you can toggle which sentences you want to output or input.

So the connection to your AP would go something like this

NSS-- Yellow & Blue to AP---- TX-1 & 2
NSS-- Orange & Green to AP---- RX 1 & 2


Also you would have to make sure both ports are running at 4800 for baud rate.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Guru
 
AKDoug's Avatar
 
City: Kenai, Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 572
You can actually drop the control head and use just the MFD on my NSE 12. I am not sure if you can drop just one control head and use the MFD. I have that autopilot on my boat and use the MFD, the boat only has one steering station. It saved me some money on the control head.

Call Simrad and you will have the straight poop!
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
You can actually drop the control head and use just the MFD on my NSE 12. I am not sure if you can drop just one control head and use the MFD. I have that autopilot on my boat and use the MFD, the boat only has one steering station. It saved me some money on the control head.

Call Simrad and you will have the straight poop!

Can't do that with the AP-20.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Guru
 
AKDoug's Avatar
 
City: Kenai, Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 572
My bad. I actually have the AC12 computer and an RPU80 drive linked to the MFD. AP-20 is older than my equipment.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member
 
JCieh's Avatar
 
City: Berlin
Country: Germany
Vessel Name: Lullabye
Vessel Model: Altena Blue Water Trawler Variant
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to JCieh
Means that I've to keep the old control heads? But steering with the NSS will be possible in parallel or not?
JCieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCieh View Post
Means that I've to keep the old control heads? But steering with the NSS will be possible in parallel or not?
No steering with the NSS. The AP control in the NSS only works with the AC12 and AC42 pilot computers.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
JCieh's Avatar
 
City: Berlin
Country: Germany
Vessel Name: Lullabye
Vessel Model: Altena Blue Water Trawler Variant
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to JCieh
But if I install AC42 can I use all other equipment as compass, rudder feedback, etc. ?
Have got three AP20 control heads. They would sell on Ebay for approximately more than a new AC42 and AP28 control will cost.
Or does my RFC35 not work with the AC42?
JCieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
Guru
 
AKDoug's Avatar
 
City: Kenai, Alaska
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 572
Call Simrad, but I don't think it will integrate. My AC12 autopilot computer talks to the MFD through a Simnet connection, and to everything else in the whole system including the sounder and anemometer through Simnet. There might be another way to do it but I would call their tech line and ask.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCieh View Post
But if I install AC42 can I use all other equipment as compass, rudder feedback, etc. ?
Have got three AP20 control heads. They would sell on Ebay for approximately more than a new AC42 and AP28 control will cost.
Or does my RFC35 not work with the AC42?
No the RFC35, is either ROBNET or Sine & Cosine output format. Neither will work with the AC12 or 42. I'd keep the AP-20 it's a proven solid and reliable. I have two.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Call Simrad, but I don't think it will integrate. My AC12 autopilot computer talks to the MFD through a Simnet connection, and to everything else in the whole system including the sounder and anemometer through Simnet. There might be another way to do it but I would call their tech line and ask.
I recently dealt with this question, that is, an NSS evo2 mated to an AP20. I contacted Simrad and they said, no, the AP20 cannot be controlled by the NSS. However, with an Actisense interface I was able to send messages to the NSS MFD which I find helpful when docking or undocking with respect to the position of the rudder. I pilot from the upper helm and the AP20 head there does not show the rudder position.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member
 
JCieh's Avatar
 
City: Berlin
Country: Germany
Vessel Name: Lullabye
Vessel Model: Altena Blue Water Trawler Variant
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to JCieh
Thanks guys,
You've been very helpful. Will pick up unit tomorrow in Savannah an then starting installation.
JCieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #15
Guru
 
LarryM's Avatar
 
City: League City, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I recently dealt with this question, that is, an NSS evo2 mated to an AP20. I contacted Simrad and they said, no, the AP20 cannot be controlled by the NSS. However, with an Actisense interface I was able to send messages to the NSS MFD which I find helpful when docking or undocking with respect to the position of the rudder. I pilot from the upper helm and the AP20 head there does not show the rudder position.
I've had these autopilots on two boats. From the AP20 control head, pressing the STBY/PWR key turns on the system and initially displays hardware and software version information. After 5 seconds it is supposed to display the STBY screen which indicates the rudder position. I use this feature every time I take out my boat. Does yours not display the screen below in STBY mode?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stby Mode 20-2.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	46983  
__________________
Larry
M/V Pelago
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post

I've had these autopilots on two boats. From the AP20 control head, pressing the STBY/PWR key turns on the system and initially displays hardware and software version information. After 5 seconds it is supposed to display the STBY screen which indicates the rudder position. I use this feature every time I take out my boat. Does yours not display the screen below in STBY mode?
Yes, it does display my rudder position but only on the lower helm display. The upper helm display has fewer controls and only displays heading information although perhaps I just don't know how to get the display other information.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #17
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,201
I havent used an AP20 specifically, but all the AP control heads that I have used have multiple display screens in each of their operational modes. You can select which one you prefer, so most likely this can be easily changed on your other helm. Do you have the owners manual? If not you can probably download it from the Simrad web site.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #18
Guru
 
Rogerh's Avatar
 
City: Niceville, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 665
Jcieh, if you decide to sell your AP20 heads I would be very interested in purchasing them. Send me a PM if you would like to work something out. Thanks
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member
 
JCieh's Avatar
 
City: Berlin
Country: Germany
Vessel Name: Lullabye
Vessel Model: Altena Blue Water Trawler Variant
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to JCieh
Rogerh, will do this if I'm going to switch to AC42.

@Catalinajack: System on my boat is working very well with two steering positions and also indicates rudder position on both units. So seems indeed a settings problem.
JCieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member
 
JCieh's Avatar
 
City: Berlin
Country: Germany
Vessel Name: Lullabye
Vessel Model: Altena Blue Water Trawler Variant
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to JCieh
Again thanks to all. NSS EVO2 and AP20 working together. AP is receiving the GPS signal and also tracking the routes/waypoints preciseley.
@Rogerh: Sorry, but in this case I'm going to keep the AP control heads.
__________________

JCieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012