Old 02-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Simrad J300X

My J300X had gone bad, not processing the NMEA signal through either port.

These are no longer available new. I see a good number available on eBay and other sources. Does anyone have a reliable source for these?

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I don't, but you are not alone. I'm reading about a lot of the older Simrad pilots starting to fail in one way or another, and people struggling to find second hand parts. If you can find a replacement it will surely be the least expensive way to get going again, but I would be worried about another failure coming shortly behind. You might want to start thinking about a full replacement sometime at your convenience, rather than under duress after another failure. You should be able to continue using the steering pump, and just replaced the computer and control panel(s), and probably the rudder position sensors. A compass upgrade to a full rate compass would be good too since you probably just have a fluxgate compass now that tells heading, but not rate of turn.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
Guru

I had that conversation with my electronics guy this morning. If I replace I can use all the mechanical stuff just not the control heads and computer.

However I will go used J300X for now as any "failure" really is an inconvenience until I get to home port rather than a catastrophe.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I had that conversation with my electronics guy this morning. If I replace I can use all the mechanical stuff just not the control heads and computer.

However I will go used J300X for now as any "failure" really is an inconvenience until I get to home port rather than a catastrophe.
Sounds like a good plan. For a bigger project like a new AP, I like to do it on my terms and my schedule, not as an imposed emergency due to a failure.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Guru

Well damn!

I got the J300X in and my electronics guy came this morning to put it in. And found that I needed the J300X-40 (40 amp) not the standard computer.

I specifically asked him when he told me what to get if there were different models and one I had to specifically look for and he told me no.

He has located a 40 and is getting that in. We are leaving for the Abacos next Wednesday so I told him he either has to get it all up and running or leave it as it is - since we can use the autopilot to hold course and make changes with the control head. Which is what we did in the Exumas last year.

So much for all the projects being done!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #6

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Consider "piecing" together a system. I'm in the process now because my Sitex processor was stolen.

I still have the fluxgate compass, pump, rudder indicator all of which are compatible with other systems for the most part.

A head unit and processor would put me in good shape with an upgrade to boot.

Sitex is very limited as they have stuck with the same design for so long but many raymarine controllers probably work with your system.. Might even be a decent upgrade on the used market for cheap.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
Guru

I called him back last week and told him not to order the -40. It was just too much of a rush up against our Bahamas departure. So I will continue to use the AP for manual course setting and adjustments rather than using the GPS feed.
I also told him to work up a new install of an upgraded computer and control heads for when we get back.