Simrad autopilot problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sealife

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea life
Vessel Make
Krogen 42 #61
AP26 control head
AC20 computer
RPU160 reversible pump

Powers up fine, all course and rudder readings good. As soon as it is placed in auto it trips the 20 amp breaker at panel and/or the 20 amp fuse at computer. Disconnected pump, when placed in auto no tripping. So not the wiring. Ran 12 VDC straight to pump, draws 8.5-9.5 amps and works as it should. Any suggestions?? Can't figure out how 10 amp pump draw is tripping 20 amp breaker.
Called Simrad and only got "that. Stuff is obsolete" multiple times.

thanks,
Scott

It's possible the 20amp breaker is bad. I had that happen several times on land - ie in my rental properties. Good luck.

My AP35 with rpu160 will cause overcurrent faults after a few hundred hours. Learned to take back of motor off and clean carbon/copper gunk out from between the commutator bars and works fine til next time. The gunk is conductive and makes amps go too high. Brush wear and commutator wear is excessive on this thing and soon it will be done. Then I will need to replace the pump or motor. Only 2000hrs on it.

Try cleaning between the bars.

My AP35 with rpu160 will cause overcurrent faults after a few hundred hours. Learned to take back of motor off and clean carbon/copper gunk out from between the commutator bars and works fine til next time. The gunk is conductive and makes amps go too high. Brush wear and commutator wear is excessive on this thing and soon it will be done. Then I will need to replace the pump or motor. Only 2000hrs on it.

Try cleaning between the bars.
Great advice, Ski. You're a great resource for this site.

On another subject, Simrad's customer service response is typical of a company that couldn't care less about its customers, which has been my experience. I would never recommend their products to anyone.

They were not like that prior to being purchased. It's a shame how buying a good company and "Fixing" it can cause so much damage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom