Simrad Auto Pilot Software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spottsville

Vessel Name
Quiet Company
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH-47
Our 47 foot Great Harbour trawler has a Simrad AP25 Autopilot with a WR20 Wireless Remote control. The remote control will pair up with the base station and receive COG and SOG Lat/Lon but wont connect with the auto-pilot to enable remote steering control. Simrad Tech support says it needs a software update to version 1.3.00 (control head) and 1.2.01.02 for the auto pilot. HELP! Does anyone have the software upgrade software file or able to offer any advise on accomplishing the update, or suggest a Simrad "Expert" who might be able to help?

Thanks for any help!

Norm Miller
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Norm,

Contact Simrad tech support again and get the part numbers for the upgraded eprom chips. They won't sell them to you directly, but you can order them from your local Simrad dealer or West Marine. Might take a week or two. They are fairly simple to change and the instructions are in your owners manual. Also order an extraction tool if one is not included with the chips. You will need to perform the dockside and underway setup procedures again, so record your calibration parameters from the setup screens beforehand so you have a starting point.

I have done this on several Simrad systems and it is very straightforward.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Wow, the AP25 gets upgraded that way? Very old-school. The newer AP24, 28, and 70 are all down-load only.

But on a side note, I used two Simrad WR-20 devices over the course of almost two years and they are complete junk. It simply doesn't work reliably. You may think you have control of your AP, but you may not.... I found others with similar problems. Simrad just dodged the problem, but admitted that they are not making it any more, even though they continue to advertise and sell it. If you still can, I'd return it fast and get your money back.

After two seasons of experimenting the best we could conclude was that having any cellular device turned on onboard the boat stimulated the issue. The problem was definitely in the wireless communications between the handset and base station. I was able to monitor the N2K traffic and show that it was operating flawlessly. Note that the cell phones, ipads, etc. did not have to be in use for there to be problems, just turned on.

So, if you are the one person left on the planet who doesn't use a cell phone, and doesn't have any passengers who use a cell phone, then the WR20 is the product for you. Otherwise don't waste your time like I did.

Norm,

It seems I was only partially correct in my earlier post.

The Autopilot Computers AC10, AC20 and AC40 all upgrade software via a replaceable EPROM: P/N 22088462

The AP25 and AP26 Control Units however use the following for software upgrades:
AP25 Control Unit Programming Kit: P/N 22088595
AP25 Control Unit Software: P/N 22088199

I am not familiar with that upgrade process so you will have to rely upon guidance from Simrad tech support or other members for that.

Sorry for any confusion.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Larry Thanks for the informations! I would like to buy the chip through a dealer that gives good support, do you have a dealer suggestion?

Norm Miller
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Norm,

Believe it or not, I purchased my last upgrades through West Marine, and all went very smoothly. I discussed my needs with Craig at Simrad in Lynnwood, WA, 425-778-8821. He furnished me with the proper part numbers which I then special ordered from my local West Marine. Inside of two weeks I had my parts.

Since I do all of my own work on navigation electronics, I have only relied upon Simrad's tech support, which I have found to be entirely adequate for my needs so far. I do not use a local dealer/installer.

I must say that over the years, Robertson/Simrad autopilots have been so reliable that I have spent very little time working on them. Other than installations, the occasional pump replacement and the EPROM updates are about all the service they have needed on 4 different boats, both power and sail.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Well I thought I would report I was able to get my Simrad AP25 Control Head software updated and now the wireless WR20 auto-pilot remote works!! After multiple calls to Simrad, I asked one of the tech support people (who actually listened to me before replying) who he knew that was expert on repair of Simrad Auto-pilots and he put me in touch with:

John Filippelli

JFI Marine Electronics
20400 E. 9 Mile Road
St. Clair Shores, MI 48080
Tel. 313.690.6689

John has been working on Simrad units for more than 20 years and is an expert. I described the problem and after he did some research John called me right back and said I needed a control head software update and he had the needed file and cables. I Fedex him the unit, he did the update and shipped it back Fedex and $200 later it was fixed (I paid the shipping both ways). Upon start up the autopilot could not find the GPS but after 10 minutes on the phone with John he directed me to the proper screen and keystrokes to fix the problem.

I recommend John and if ever in need will call on him again!

I was great to find a Simrad expert that could upgrade a discontinued Simrad model!

Norm Miller
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Norm,

Believe it or not, I purchased my last upgrades through West Marine, and all went very smoothly. I discussed my needs with Craig at Simrad in Lynnwood, WA, 425-778-8821. He furnished me with the proper part numbers which I then special ordered from my local West Marine. Inside of two weeks I had my parts.

Since I do all of my own work on navigation electronics, I have only relied upon Simrad's tech support, which I have found to be entirely adequate for my needs so far. I do not use a local dealer/installer.

I must say that over the years, Robertson/Simrad autopilots have been so reliable that I have spent very little time working on them. Other than installations, the occasional pump replacement and the EPROM updates are about all the service they have needed on 4 different boats, both power and sail.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Sorry to open an old thread. I'm needing to upgrade my AP25 also. Can you offer the WestMarine model number you used on your software order?

Thx,

Sorry to open an old thread. I'm needing to upgrade my AP25 also. Can you offer the WestMarine model number you used on your software order?

Thx,

Capt. Ralph,

I upgraded an AP21 and J300X combo. I furnished West Marine with Simrad part numbers and they special ordered them for me directly from Simrad. These are non-stocked items so they had no WM part numbers or SKU's.

Larry

Capt. Ralph,

I upgraded an AP21 and J300X combo. I furnished West Marine with Simrad part numbers and they special ordered them for me directly from Simrad. These are non-stocked items so they had no WM part numbers or SKU's.

Larry
On your earlier post, you quoted an AC20 software part number, A kit part number and an AP25 software part number. I'm assuming the software is just new e-proms. What was the kit? The removal tool?

AND, did the AC20 need upgrading to work with the WR20?

Thx.
,rc

Last edited:
On your earlier post, you quoted an AC20 software part number, A kit part number and an AP25 software part number. I'm assuming the software is just new e-proms. What was the kit? The removal tool?

AND, did the AC20 need upgrading to work with the WR20?

Thx.
,rc

I didn't perform an update to the AP25, only the AP21. I looked up the part numbers in a Simrad master parts catalog. If you will refer to Page 136 and 137 of the AP25 User's Manual, you will find a brief description of the update, but the detailed instructions are included in the programming kit. It is used in conjunction with a PC to download the software to the Control Unit via the download connector.

As I mentioned in that post, "I am not familiar with that upgrade process so you will have to rely upon guidance from Simrad tech support or other members for that."

As for the WR20 question, you might try John Filippelli at JFI Marine Electronics as was mentioned in Spottsville's post #7

Sorry, but that's about all I know about it.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Back
Top Bottom