Simrad AP 22 Auto Pilot upgrade or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otisguy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Island Spirit
Vessel Make
1976 Hatteras LRC 48'
I have an old Robertson AP 300x Autopilot and my head died on the helm? I can't turn it on or off but have it jury rigged on brain box with switch to turn on & off- needless to say I need an upgrade..
While looking for a Replacment Head either another older Robertson head or a Simrad AP 20,21 or 22 control Head (Simrad Dealer told me these would plug right in to replace my head) I ran across a guy that has an entire working AP 22 Simrad Auto pilot- Everything he took off another boat - supposedly checked out and running- all for $500?
IS this worth paying to get a working Auto Pilot or is this AP 22 really outdated ?
I can take to Jaytron a local Simrad Dealer that will bench test system for $50 to confirm it all works but looking for feed back if it is good idea to upgrade to an AP 22 unit...
Otisguy....

The more modern AP will easily interface with a GPS if you are willing to give command over to a black box.

In FL it would get you aground the first 1/2 hour , but in open waters , maybe.

What makes a good AP is the robustness of the system turning off and on the high amp steering motor pump.

The Robertson is a good unit.

Perry, I have the AP22 on Scout. It will do everything you want it to do if it will "plug in to your existing brainbox". I can't speak to that.
$500 is cheap for a complete working system. I've seen the heads go for that or more. The AP21 is the remote tethered control until for the AP22 system.

Is the control head on your flybridge working? Not sure we ever tried it?

Thanks for the replies, I talked a few weeks ago to Simrad and I gave him my numbers off my brain box and he said I could use an AP 20, 21 or 22 with my existing system and it should plug/play right in...I am hoping so because your right there is a local guy "Jaytron" that is selling an the exact same head as I have for $750 and he gurantee's it.
My Fly Bridge head was doing the same thing as the pilot house head so I originally thought their was a problem with the brain box but after "jumping it" to get it to turn on the system worked fine- you just couldn't turn it off at the helm you had to "flip the switch behind the helm" so it's not the greatest set up but will work to get me home...I would just prefer to have a back up plan for the long voyage home...
For $50 I can bring entire unit over to my Jaytron guy to "test out" and make sure the system is functioning properly...

.I would just prefer to have a back up plan for the long voyage home...
For $50 I can bring entire unit over to my Jaytron guy to "test out" and make sure the system is functioning properly...
Sounds like a good plan to me. The AP22 is a good pilot and should work fine with a different head.

Last edited:
Otisguy,

I have an AP21/22 on my boat and it is absolutely perfect. I upgraded the J300X, AP21 and AP22 all with the latest firmware (EPROMs) and everything functions flawlessly. These systems were only replaced by the AP24 in 2007, so they are not really all that old. I also upgraded the system with an RC25 rate compass, which is much more precise than the standard fluxgate compass. I even installed a FU50 follow-up steering lever or jogstick at the upper helm to provide steering capability. The system is connected to a Garmin GPSMAP 546S. In nav mode it will maintain about +-30' cross-track accuracy, which is sufficient for all but the narrowest of channels in my area. My boat has hydraulic steering with 5 turns lock to lock, and I can assure you the Simrad has made a significant difference in operating the boat as I am almost always solo. To windward, it steers the boat like it is on rails, and in beam or following seas, 'Lincoln' steers a better course than I do. I call it 'Lincoln' because it freed the slave . . . . .

As long as your nav equipment still supports NMEA0183, you will be able to use this autopilot for quite some time. If, however, your systems are more oriented toward NMEA2000, or you are looking for direct integration with late generation Simrad electronics, you will probably be better served with a newer unit. The AP24 and later systems have some great new features $$$$$$$

There are still plenty of parts available for these systems and Simrad technical support is second to none.

Let me know if I can help you with any more info on this system as I am pretty familiar with it by now. :thumb:

Larry
m/v Boomarang

I have an AP22 that came new on my 2003 Mainship 390, so the technology is not that old. Mine works perfectly; have newver had an issue
John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom