Simpler way to describe locations at sea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly.....

The current system is much more adaptable to programs that can figure things out....however...with a secret decoder ring...any pat long becomes a useless sting of words..but fortunately the decoder ring can change it back.

But the secret decoder ring is what is to take it out of the public realm, make it proprietary, and build a business because then no one can do anything without that decoder ring. Note that one of the co-founders previously with a translation site/company, Lingo 24. That's really the gist of what this is, a new language and a translation company. Ultimately, to reach a point you'll go back to another system, so their business translates to their language and then back out of it. That adds an intermediate function that could be skipped right over.

Without boring you guys with the extraneous details, the billion dollar per day freight forwarding business globally tracks many things, particularly containers and break bulk that have been bar coded and has an onboard tracking device. This cargo can be hauled by barge, ship, truck or air conveyances.

.....snipped for brevity.....

So thank you Eastsounder for raising a topic that far transcends the recreational boating business.

I don't disagree...in post 51 I said it was about tracking versus labeling...

snip from post 51....

"OMG!!!!! How many devices already out there already have you as the blue dot and all you have to do is talk and it gives you directions where to go. Many of those devices already have translators for many languages.

Nope....the new system is headed off in the wrong direction...the emphasis is on locating and directing...not labeling."

The actual labeling of a position may become a moot point in the future as everyone and everything will be able to be tracked (if wanted) and directions to the right spot will be automated to utter simplicity...as you said...pretty well along the path for decades.

But the secret decoder ring is what is to take it out of the public realm, make it proprietary, and build a business because then no one can do anything without that decoder ring. Note that one of the co-founders previously with a translation site/company, Lingo 24. That's really the gist of what this is, a new language and a translation company. Ultimately, to reach a point you'll go back to another system, so their business translates to their language and then back out of it. That adds an intermediate function that could be skipped right over.

I am not worried......it's a longshot unless a lot of palms are greased.

Anyone download and try it? I can see it being useful, just not for boating.

Anyone download and try it? I can see it being useful, just not for boating.

I did and shared it with a few non boating friends and they all seem to think it's a pretty cool idea. So far we've shared our locations using what3words and for now it's more of a conversation piece than a tool but who knows what the future will bring.

For now, I'm chilling at discomfort.reactants.peanuts and tomorrow I'm heading out for the weekend to escape the heat to dine.proverbs.awfulness

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. 492. "...discomfort.reactants.peanuts...dine.proverbs.awfulness..."
Yup, for sure you're going to end up @ "...toilet, vomit, cesspool..." AND people are going to say...

giphy.gif

...deja.view.much...

I did and shared it with a few non boating friends and they all seem to think it's a pretty cool idea. So far we've shared our locations using what3words and for now it's more of a conversation piece than a tool but who knows what the future will bring.

For now, I'm chilling at discomfort.reactants.peanuts and tomorrow I'm heading out for the weekend to escape the heat to dine.proverbs.awfulness

Pluma Hidalgo, home of Pluma coffee! You are living the good life, DD492.

Pluma Hidalgo, home of Pluma coffee! You are living the good life, DD492.

A bit off topic but yes, I'm fortunate to be blessed with a very good life and one of my simple pleasures is enjoying a cup of freshly roasted shade grown coffee from the Pluma Hildago region on the Oaxacan coast. This locally grown coffee compares closely to some of the best coffee I've found in Colombia. Similar to the coffee from Suroseste Gold Coffee which is rated #2 for the best coffee grown in Colombia. :thumb:

Last edited:
I just looked up my location, and was not surprised at all when it popped up
"WTF"
Somehow I already knew that...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom