Old 01-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Now, you just said "we want to give" so just what is your involvement with this company?
BandB--- I could be wrong but I believe the line "We want to give" is part of the statement from the London start-up company that Eastsounder quoted in his post. As opposed to something Eastsounder wrote himself.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
BandB--- I could be wrong but I believe the line "We want to give" is part of the statement from the London start-up company that Eastsounder quoted in his post. As opposed to something Eastsounder wrote himself.
You are correct, but I did ask Eastsounder what his involvement or relationship to the company is and got no answer. He sure seems to be determined to promote the company.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #23
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
And all I wanted to do is get away from all those idiots! Just saying.
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Eastsound, WA
Vessel Name: Keeper
Vessel Model: 1972 Grand Banks 32'
Quote:
You didn't answer my question about your involvement with the company. You're here to push your company and act as if you just ran across this or something. Basically advertising without paying for it, it seems to me. Then if any of us don't like the product or concept you are going to argue about your incredible system. If I'm wrong about your involvement, I'll apologize, but if I'm correct then I'll criticize your promotion without disclosure further. Regardless, I think a decimal system could be a far better solution than yours. I also think the current system works.
I have absolutely no involvement with the company whatsoever. I learned about it a few days ago, more or less randomly. I posted here about it thinking that it might stimulate open-minded discussion on a topic of general interest.

Won't be making that mistake again any time soon. Sorry to stir the water, gents.
Eastsounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
I like the idea - but I agree with Marin that words are problematic and its utility on the water is probably limited. However, a recurring issue when I was doing my fieldwork in India is figuring out where the hell you are and trying to communicate to other people where the hell you are in some village somewhere. Not to mention its not like all of the villages have different names or are readily available in a phone book somewhere. What I think would make a lot of sense in this context is a system like the UK Postcode but make it more systematic like a grid. I don't really need to know exactly where you are but get me within spitting distance (to the village, neighborhood etc) and then I can figure it out from there.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:

You didn't answer my question about your involvement with the company. You're here to push your company and act as if you just ran across this or something. Basically advertising without paying for it, it seems to me. Then if any of us don't like the product or concept you are going to argue about your incredible system. If I'm wrong about your involvement, I'll apologize, but if I'm correct then I'll criticize your promotion without disclosure further...
He seems upset. Justifiably or not? To be fair, what information did you have for:
"You're here to push your company and act as if you just ran across this or something. Basically advertising without paying for it, it seems to me."

Alternatively, does: "If I'm wrong about your involvement, I'll apologize" now operate?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorenm View Post
However, a recurring issue when I was doing my fieldwork in India is figuring out where the hell you are and trying to communicate to other people where the hell you are in some village somewhere. .
The solution to this might be tracking equipment. They put radio collars on elk around here to track the individual's and herd's movements so I assume the same would work with humans. And while I've never used or observed this kind of thing being used, aren't parents able to track their kid's positions using their mobile phones? They show this kind of thing on TV shows all the time but one never knows how realistic they are.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
The solution to this might be tracking equipment. They put radio collars on elk around here to track the individual's and herd's movements so I assume the same would work with humans. And while I've never used or observed this kind of thing being used, aren't parents able to track their kid's positions using their mobile phones? They show this kind of thing on TV shows all the time but one never knows how realistic they are.
Whatever would occur would involve mobile phones - the impact of mobile phones on rural India is difficult to overstate. People went from being completely miles from the nearest telephone to having the weather, banking, their cousin that lives three thousand miles away, the latest bollywood gossip, crop forecasts and prices, government service literally in the palms of their hands. It dramatically changed life in the US but in places were the last mile never was laid it is truly profound.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #29
Scraping Paint

Yes, it's a great picture to see farmers in China manually weeding their rice paddies knee deep in water with a hoe in one hand and a mobile at their ear in the other.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:31 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Yes, it's a great picture to see farmers in China manually weeding their rice paddies knee deep in water with a hoe in one hand and a mobile at their ear in the other.
Only if they remember which hand has the phone and which hand has the hoe.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Eastsound, WA
Vessel Name: Keeper
Vessel Model: 1972 Grand Banks 32'
I did quote the company's website and perhaps didn't make that clear enough. The bit I quoted just seemed like a reasonable and concise explanation for why they're doing what they're doing, and I guess I was too lazy to paraphrase.

Everything I know about this outfit is based on spending about 30 minutes, total, poking around on their website and playing with their iOS app. I didn't mean to sound promotional. I was trying to inject additional information and perspective in replying to posts that seemed to me to be perfunctorily dismissive.
Eastsounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:05 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Personally I don't think the concept does a darn thing that our current system doesn't do.

Complete waste of time. I'll never get the 10 minutes back that I spent reading about it.

Like others I question the motivations of anybody trying to advocate for this unneeded system.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
C'mon guys, lighten up. Eastsounder merely came upon an idea he heard about, that has some merit in certain circumstances, and just gave us a heads up. It does not threaten us and what and how we do things whatsoever, so no need to get het up really.

Funnily enough, the very ubiquitous existence these days of the mobile phone, (GPS capable) all over the planet, and in the most surprising places, as others have mentioned, appears to me to be the obvious solution to this very issue that this company, what3words, were trying to address, so already it has become a problem that no longer exists. Someone in darkest Africa having no address is already solved right there - with the GPS in a mobile phone.

Back when only ocean going vessels and aeroplanes had real navigation equipment, latitude and longitude readings were not much help elsewhere, especially on land. In the UK, for instance, as there are so many places out in the country with no address, what you do is program in the postcode in the GPS and usually it will take you with a few yards of where they are. We found that very helpful with caravan parks etc. But huge parts of the world do not have a post code - they all have a GPS position using good old lat. and long. Nowhere on this planet is out of sight of the navigational satellites, are they. Food for thought..? So, instead of a number address, a remote villager in any country, or buried in a city, merely has to know his GPS position. Just numbers - no language issue. Too easy..?
Old 01-22-2016, 02:30 AM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
He seems upset. Justifiably or not? To be fair, what information did you have for:
"You're here to push your company and act as if you just ran across this or something. Basically advertising without paying for it, it seems to me."

Alternatively, does: "If I'm wrong about your involvement, I'll apologize" now operate?
He says he has no involvement so I'll take him at his word and I apologize. Earlier he seemed to have ignored my question in that regard plus was parroting their arguments and pushing so hard.

Now as to the company, I still see it as reinventing the wheel. Now they are using a square wheel now on some skateboards so it can be done I guess. It just seems to me for pinpointing a location, numbers are better than words and you have an existing system upon which you could build.

Also the current system is free and at some point theirs will not be. I don't think they'll get the buy-in they hope for to go to a proprietary system that they control. Their intent is to make a system they own and control the world standard. And it doesn't work without complete buy-in. Being on an address system such as theirs would not work if all companies, countries, or entities didn't choose to be a part of it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
they all have a GPS position using good old lat. and long. Nowhere on this planet is out of sight of the navigational satellites, are they. Food for thought..? So, instead of a number address, a remote villager in any country, or buried in a city, merely has to know his GPS position. Just numbers - no language issue. Too easy..?
While nowhere on this planet are out of sight of satellites, there are limitations to the lat/lon system. Those limitations increase as you near the poles. Think about it. All lat/lon converges on one single point....the poles. The only reason I bring this up is we fly polar routes to get to the other side of the world. If we just relied on lat/lon, things would get screwed up. So there is a type of a grid system that is put into the aircraft's flight management computer to deal with this issue over the poles. So there is merit to a grid system as each grid "panel" in the lat/lon system is not uniform in size as you get near the poles and they become basically useless. Because of this, certain aircraft have certain limitations as to the max latitude they can fly. But that is not likely to affect most of what we use lat/lon for. Just something that I thought I would bring up since there is a grid system already in place for navigation of aircraft over the poles that does not use lat/lon solely.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have spent a lot of time traveling to spots on the featureless ocean to drop an anchor on a specific spot on a shipwreck. The current system displayed in a North South East West grid works extremely well and allows me to routinely drop my anchor in a 20' x 20' box. Would this system replicate the size of that box with 3 words? If you're trying to give people addresses in third world countries, seems like you would need to be this precise.

I agree with the statement that this is solution looking for a problem.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The lat/long system is actually fairly simple and allows non-professionals such as I to have an idea about where someone is talking. Think of it, if I say 145 degrees west, or 20 degrees east, or 30 north, 40 south you have an idea of where that is. Would be different with the three word system. Would need a computer or a manual to know where "destiny bravo" was.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Grids are also used in HF radio, although different, for approximate locations. We use them in a propagation program for Airmail. They are also used for contests. The best accuracy you're going get with these grids is about 3 x 4 miles which for what we are using them for is fine. Here's a brief description on these grids and a pic from our propagation program.

Grid Squares
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	48293  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #39
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
Well put D & S

Reason I post here is not only to thank you on succinct definition of circumstance... but... also so I am in link to this thread so I get opp to see all RT's vid-punches!

Happy Coordinate Daze! - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #40
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Would be nice to get some standardization for expressing lat/lon. Charts often are deg/min/sec, some gps show deg/min/decimal minute. Gots to be careful with the punctuation, it matters.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote