Old 06-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Simple for you..for me, not so much...

I'll be darned fi I can get this connection off the back of my hour meter. Would think that those two bigger plastic flanges that are on each of the long sides would bend back and release clips or something and allow it to come out but they don't seem to be holding anything in. Any hints from you electrically oriented people appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Hour Meter clipb.jpg   hour meter clip 2a.jpg  
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Those two long arms that stretch up alongside the rectangular wire holder bend outwards. Then the wire holder will pull out. Because of the way we are made, you might need a third hand to hold the meter while you bend them outwards or you might be able to grab the plug with pliers and bend one and wiggle the plug out one side at a time. I just did that with my car headlight bulbs this morning.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Guru

Thanks. Thats what I thought at first glance but I'll be darned if I could get it out. I will say that I was being somewhat gentle with it as I wasn't exactly sure. Maybe I can get one jaw of some needle nose pliers on either side to push them out while gripping. Now that I know that's the ticket I will be a bit more persuasive. I assume they both need to release outward at the same time much like other connections.

At 63 years old I have looked like an idiot on many occasions but there is NO PLACE in this world that I do it with such frequency as in here....!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Guru

Thread drift on my own thread but it seems like the hour meter screws into the bezel w/glass that faces the exterior? Bezel will not come out the front of the dash. Can't really try to unscrew until I get that connection free.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
Guru

I think your hour meter is just stuck in there, the bracket that holds it is already missing. Give it a twist, it will probably pop loose.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
You should be able to get a smallish needle nosed pliers down along the base of the male connector where the female part flange is raised from the housing. Grip the connector and lever it out from the base. Gently. Lever will give you more control than gripping it and having it come loose all at once, ejecting the housing across the space you're working in and changing its status from malfunction to FUBAR.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. fb. 63? HAH! You young'ins have a lot to learn...

Old 07-01-2018, 04:42 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I think your hour meter is just stuck in there, the bracket that holds it is already missing. Give it a twist, it will probably pop loose.
No, the bracket was in place. Took it off, first thing I did. Meter pops out from the rear I assume. Love these "first time I did it" things. Here's a good one....was up underneath the helm and dash messing and pulling etc. to see how it comes out. Got a little frustrated so was pushing hard to get it the hour meter to move one way or the other when the nicely made wood board holding all the gauges popped up and out. Held in with clips and no need to be under the helm at all. Work on it standing up. But you guys knew that already.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
Guru

OK, got the connection loose, just had to pull it out with a little effort, duh. Now...getting the gauge out is a different story. Won't come out the back as the gauge has a flange that catches the backing board. Two boards screwed together. Outer one holds the bezel and the inner one keeps the gauge in. So the gauge has to exit the front but to do so I need to remove the bezel. I did unscrew the two boards to see if that was the solution but the enitre set of gauges are installed in other area and would have to come out. That didn't seem to be the answer... So tried to remove the bezel from the front but it only comes out so far and then that's that. It's plastic so being gentle with it as well. If it comes out the front then it had to be hammered in because that thing is tight. Any comments/suggestion appreciated! One other question, do the gauges screw into the bezel or are the just free floating behind it?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0290.jpg   IMG_0291.jpg  
Old 07-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
Guru

I would grab hold of the case and give it a twist...I think its just shoved into a hole that's a tad too small for it, the bracket, which you have removed, is intended to hold it in place. Is it baked? Are you planning to replace it?
Old 07-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #11
Guru

"The case"? Meaning pull the unit (case) out the back? The install doesn't make any sense to me as there is a definite flange on the meter that prevents it from coming out the back. The backing plate hole is definitely smaller than the flange on the meter. If it is just a tight fit then what would hold the meter in place? The bracket would simply pull it out when tightened. Just not sure...

Yes, it is toast as it hasn't counted hours in about 1,000 running hours. The other one is working fine. My plan was to get it fixed but haven't really decided as it is $125 to fix, $50 to replace with newer digital..
Old 07-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The meter comes out from the front of the panel. wiggle the whole assembly. Its already unfastened. Just a tight fit. Try a little vegtable oil or liquid hand soap.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
KY jelly???
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #14

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
If the thing is toast, you really won't hurt it if you tap it a bit from the rear. Those gauges should just slide in from the front.

The older I get the more respect I have for the lowly ball-peen hammer.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
The meter comes out from the front of the panel. wiggle the whole assembly. Its already unfastened. Just a tight fit. Try a little vegtable oil or liquid hand soap.
Thanks Archie. I assume the bezel just screws on to the body. I've managed to separate the two at this point.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #16

City: Annapolis MD
Vessel Name: Antares
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 (Sail, but looking)
The meter is attached to the black bezel. The bezel is sandwiched between the two panels ...
AntaresWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #17
Guru

Went to Lauderdale Speedo yesterday. Looked at another unit like mine. The problem is that the bezel is angled front to back. Won't come out the front because the back edge is bigger. That's why it is stuck. I'm going to give separating the boards another try now that I know how it isput together. The board should just pull off the front if I work the other gauge bezels a little.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #18

City: Annapolis MD
Vessel Name: Antares
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 (Sail, but looking)
Take the entire panel out and separate the back held to the front by a few screws. With the front off the gauges come out forwards. GB did this on most all of their boats.

FYI The bezels are decorative only. You can take them off (1/4 turn ) and the lens assembly can be taken out and cleaned. There are actually two lenses ...inner and outer with a rubber gasket between. The rubber ring holds them into the body of the meter.
AntaresWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #19
Guru

Thanks AW. That's what I figured out after looking at another gauge like the one I have. Just wasn't sure what was holding everything in and was afraid of forcing things. The bezels on the other gauges just need to be pushed back/front cover board pulls straight off. Which makes perfect sense after seeing the gauge.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #20

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
KY jelly???

Whack it !!
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote