Shut down shore power during storms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good to hear you have predictably good power, but us island folk don't always have that luxury.

I guess you missed it. Koliver is an island folk. My boat is an island boat. We both have houses and or boats about 20 miles from you with the very same weather.

I guess the difference is BC Hydro is very reliable as compared to the purported lackluster providers in Washington :D

Good to hear you have predictably good power, but us island folk don't always have that luxury. Wind storms around here are pretty much a guarantee to lose power and/or have some form of brown outs or flickering power. We're talking lights go dim for seconds at a time here kinda stuff. Gotta keep that outta the boat or any expensive equipment. Disconnect!

I wouldn't go so far as to say you should have to expect bad quality power due to wind, routinely. It sounds to me like there is a connection issue upstream. If a neutral connection is weak on a 3 phase connection, some phase voltages may rise, others fall. Might be caused by wind stress, and I would at least make them aware of it. Could be a simple fix for them. They have portable monitor equipment to place in your area to record these type events. Make them use it.

I guess the difference is BC Hydro is very reliable as compared to the purported lackluster providers in Washington :D

The Orcas Power and Light Cooperative recommends to their customers to unplug devices that they are not using on their "surge protection page" on their website.

I unplug boat from shore power... unless aboard.

I guess you missed it. Koliver is an island folk. My boat is an island boat. We both have houses and or boats about 20 miles from you with the very same weather.

I was assuming you were referring to "Vancouver Island," which I'm pretty sure has more reliable power than the San Juans.

There is currently a large transmission project to deliver power to San Juan from Lopez. 50MW at 120kV underwater lines by OPALCO should improve service after switch on in 2018. In 2011 divers discovered sig damage to the existing line at 90' depth.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom