Show us your helm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can someone explain to me why some boat's pilothouse have a sneeze guard on the front of them.

Which ones?
Gone through the pics several times and can't see what you are on about.

Which ones?
Gone through the pics several times and can't see what you are on about.
The acrylic window in front of the helm on the flybridge of many boats. It spans the entire bridge front. It leans forward and they are usually, clear, light blue, or tinted.

$_57.JPG

Those forward tilted fly bridge "windows" are usually tinted, They are are for dimming the reflection glare off of shiny parts on front deck; as well as dimming sun reflections off the water's surface. They work well!

My very modest helm station.
IMG_20190412_150335012_HDR.jpg

Kadry-Krogen 42 --

11002-albums619-picture5681.jpeg

This is center of HELM Pic of the instrument dash that holds all the engine instruments & Compass, etc. also main depth sounder, wiper & squirter controls, remote ER lights, spot light remote control, shifter & throttle levers, etc.

11002-albums619-picture5680.jpeg

This is a starboard side pic showing the dual radar, throttle & shifter, spot lite control & F & R Thruster joy sticks

11002-albums619-picture5679.jpeg

This pic is the port side Helm showing chart table, main chart plotter & the back up Garmin Chart Plotter & back up depth sounder. Also AM/ FM Radio & CD player for entertainment. 12-Volt DC power receptacles to run all the recharging of cell phones, etc.

11002-albums619-picture5682.jpeg

This pic of showing the display at helm of TV cameras we have in the Engine Room & can watch everything going on in there on the Helm TV screen.

I don't have a picture of it yet, but the SSB radio & the three VHF radios are mounted off the inside of the roof, as is the AIS unit & Loud Hailer & Coast Guard sound maker for fog horns, bells, etc.

Thanks for taking a few minutes to see my set up..

Alfa Mike

Last edited:
The acrylic window in front of the helm on the flybridge of many boats. It spans the entire bridge front. It leans forward and they are usually, clear, light blue, or tinted.

$_57.JPG

It is called a Venturi. I think it’s just a styling thing....or somewhere to attach a surround to. On our trawler it was angled forward and on our motoryacht is leans aftward. It’s real purpose? Maybe to keep stuff like charts and binoculars from sliding/falling off the dash?

My boat's not fast but at 7-8 kts, the venturi windshield deflects the windstream well above my head when seated at the FB helm. When I stand up, there's a profound difference.

Yep, the forward-raked plexiglass makes a huge difference when we're running into the wind. It buys us more flybridge time out of the biting elements in the early spring and late fall where ,without the wind screen, we would be below at the lower station not enjoying the outside weather & views from the higher vantage point of the bridge.
Much like the radar antenna mounted on an aluminum pole or a big anchor hanging off of the bow, it doesn't necessarily make the boat look any better but we wouldn't be without it.

yup, fo sho!....I'll never have one. I hate flying bridges..

I don't hate them. I just find that I get seasick quite easily on a flybridge and I don't usually get sea sick easily. Plus I like a low air draft.

Those forward tilted fly bridge "windows" are usually tinted, They are are for dimming the reflection glare off of shiny parts on front deck; as well as dimming sun reflections off the water's surface. They work well!

That makes total sense more so than a wind screen. Some seem to be in a position that doesn't seem like it would help block wind.

Mine does not.

I seen boats that look like the cap of a fish-n-ski type boat had been put on top including the walk through type windshield. Looks kind of weird to me. Like a half boat on top of a boat.

Like this boat. The flybridge looks like a bow rider upper half with an enclosed bimini.
FullSizeRender-9.jpg

It is called a Venturi. I think it’s just a styling thing....or somewhere to attach a surround to. On our trawler it was angled forward and on our motoryacht is leans aftward. It’s real purpose? Maybe to keep stuff like charts and binoculars from sliding/falling off the dash?

:thumb:

My boat's not fast but at 7-8 kts, the venturi windshield deflects the windstream well above my head when seated at the FB helm. When I stand up, there's a profound difference.

I'm in the south east where it's warm most all year so I never thought about that. :facepalm:

Same here.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Yep, the forward-raked plexiglass makes a huge difference when we're running into the wind. It buys us more flybridge time out of the biting elements in the early spring and late fall where ,without the wind screen, we would be below at the lower station not enjoying the outside weather & views from the higher vantage point of the bridge.
Much like the radar antenna mounted on an aluminum pole or a big anchor hanging off of the bow, it doesn't necessarily make the boat look any better but we wouldn't be without it.

Helm pic I found. Posting to keep the theme of the thread going after hijacking it.

Dutch Barge helm. Boat is used mainly on Euro canals. No boat info found.
c4365deee51eb8a0697b9bc0bd86b99f.jpg

I love those Dutch barges.

This is very true! It does make a big difference!

Exactly! :thumb::iagree:

Attachments

• My Buddies Venturi.jpg
    My Buddies Venturi.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Attachments

• 20191118_102834-1612x907.jpg
    20191118_102834-1612x907.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 91
My sons Helm Station (20 years ago) when he was running the Ferry to Alcatraz in SF. The bib makes him look younger than he actually was.

Attachments

• LW Alcatraz.JPG
    LW Alcatraz.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 493
Helm station of m/y Teoratera

Attachments

• 60F68B14-C3E0-4AA4-924A-8AFA18822EC3.jpg
    60F68B14-C3E0-4AA4-924A-8AFA18822EC3.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 90
  • CC01E143-5D85-48B1-90A9-1BDD20E3B167.jpg
    CC01E143-5D85-48B1-90A9-1BDD20E3B167.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 484E9AFD-9E22-41C0-83EE-B0A41288DE0A.jpg
    484E9AFD-9E22-41C0-83EE-B0A41288DE0A.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 5E748D54-56DA-4312-9BDF-EBEF369384BA.jpg
    5E748D54-56DA-4312-9BDF-EBEF369384BA.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 78
Upper and lower on our EB47.

I find it's very helpful to have the same setup in both positions. Avoids having to deal with differences that might otherwise interfere with running the boat.

I've since made two changes. On the lower, I changed out the Mastervolt battery monitor to a newer model. I moved one newer B&G Triton2 down to the lower helm (after removing two old B&G units) and put in Maretron 4" display on the port sides.

My only complaint is the VHF. For several reasons. The power switch is only on the main unit. I have to go back below f I've forgotten to turn it on. That and the intercom functionality is tedious to use. If you're not using it "all the time" it's an annoying set of extra steps to remember how to use it. If there's one gizmo I'd look forward to replacing this would be it.

Attachments

• upper.jpg
    upper.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 75
  • lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 80
Libra and Klee Wyck helms.

Attachments

• kw helm.png
    kw helm.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 391
  • Pilot view.jpg
    Pilot view.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 76

No flybridge, no venturi. Air calm in pilothouse.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom