Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Should have done this a long time ago

After reading the thread on LED lighting awhile back, I ordered 4 new LED dome lights for the engine room from Superbright LEDs. They were only $15 each. The old 12v incandescent lights were problematic and two would never work. What I discovered when I rmoved them is that the wiring had heated up, due to the lights being left on for long periods of time. The insulation had cracked and was in bad shape. Luckily there was enough wire that I was able to cut off 6" of the bad and re-wire to the new LED's. What a difference! Probably the best $60 spent since I've owned the boat.

Max Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
LEDs rock for sure. I'm in the process of replacing all mine. Very clean light as well.

SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
First we did it on our sailboat and were amazed by the difference. We could power every light on the boat for the same number of amps that a single bulb took before the conversion. Have also recently done the same on the Tug. It was actually one of our first projects as we really like to anchor out and I hate the running the genny if we don't need AC appliances. Money well spent. As an added benefit, I've never had to replace an LED (knock on wood). The only thing that isn't LED is the runnign lights, as they are only on when the engine is going so no need for less amps, but I could see replacing those, too, for the longevity.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote