Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #1

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 34
Shore Power Cord Too Short - 12' Extension - Connection Doesn't Seem Secure

Recently moved our new Beneteau ST 34' into a new marina and I need to dock bow first as our access door is on the starboard side where the dock is located. Shore power (2 X 30A /125V) on the vessel is starboard side aft and the shore power pedestal on the dock is forward port side. My 50' cords will reach but it's tight and I have to run the cord down the starboard walkway and across bow and it just gets in the way and is a safety hazard with possible tripping, etc. I'd like to run cord along the stern on the swim deck and then up the port side to the shore power pedestal where it would be out of the way. Purchased 2 12' MARINCO EEL ShorePower 30 Amp Cordsets ($150 ouch) and here is the dilemma - the new cords and the old cords will connect but the connection point doesn't seem solid or water-tight. The cords will twist and lock but since the section where the two cords connect will be hanging over the water in between the shore power pedestal on the boat, I definitely don't want to risk any chance of them coming loose. And then as far as water-tight, the connection point is bare with no cover or other threaded cover locking mechanism. Any suggestions on this setup and how to resolve the unsecure non water-tight situation (besides just backing in and dealing with the access issues or moving to a new slip). Thanks for any assistance!

Clemson101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
That is a tough one. I know you may have tried this, but if the extensions are on the pedestal end, are the same dangers present? In regards to the connection, I would avoid sealing it up with something like rescue tape. If water gets in there, you need it to be able to get out too. If there is no other option, perhaps just use a small piece of line and tie the connectors together. That will at least keep them somewhat together since they don't seem to lock together well. It seems like it is something you just need to put on your weekly checklist, Keep the connection clean and sprayed with corrosion inhibitor.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: gulf coast
would it help to switch the cords so the connection is somewhere else
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
If it's your home just make one long cord the length you need and leave it behind when you travel.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #5

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Plug the new cordsets into the boat inlets and then add your existing cords. Moves the connection onto the boat.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post
Plug the new cordsets into the boat inlets and then add your existing cords. Moves the connection onto the boat.
That should do it.

They make a barrel and rings that you can add to the connection to keep it together. Tape would be the cheap solution.

The proper length cord would be the best solution.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #7

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...2?recordNum=27

Is this what you need?
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Yes, that is called a sealing collar and that will do it
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson101 View Post
Purchased 2 12' MARINCO EEL ShorePower 30 Amp Cordsets ($150 ouch) and here is the dilemma - the new cords and the old cords will connect but the connection point doesn't seem solid or water-tight. The cords will twist and lock but since the section where the two cords connect will be hanging over the water in between the shore power pedestal on the boat, I definitely don't want to risk any chance of them coming loose.

Hard to tell, but I think you have two problems. The first is that you bought the EEL cord. They are great in that they are easy, convenient, and relatively secure. I use one myself for my 50A/120V connection to my boat. The problem is that they are not as water tight, nor as secure as an old school ring connector. I am afraid that what you need to do is return those 12' cords and buy cords with a traditional ring connector. https://tinyurl.com/jvwprvq You don't need to buy a Marinco cord, there are plenty of decent, and much less expensive cords out there for 30 amp marine service.

Then as was mentioned above, get a connector for the traditional ring connectors. https://tinyurl.com/laaykdk
http://www.defender.com/images/200809.jpg

When used with an appropriate grease, these will make a waterproof connection. Even so, you don't want this connection suspended over the water. This is your second problem. As others have mentioned, you need to put the short cord section so it is either entirely on the dock or entirely on the boat.

While some manufacturers make 75' 30 amp cords, they are not easy to find and I would guess would be very expensive. You can buy the wire and connectors and make your own, but I wouldn't do it myself.

I have had the same situation on my sailboat. 40+ feet of boat with they shore power inlet at the stern and pedestals at the bow. In some places, a 50' cord simply wouldn't work. I used the ring connectors to use give me the length I needed and never had any issue.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
If you are going to stay at that marina long term then you need a good solution. Perhaps you could get a slip that you can be stern-in, with walkway on the side you need?

Other wise , do it right and do it once is my take. Best is new cords made up. Distant second choice is the locking rings, and arranging cords so connector is in best position possible.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:30 AM   #11
FF
Guru

"Yes, that is called a sealing collar and that will do it"

Power cord connections are rain proof , seldom water proof.

Dunk it and see.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #12

Thanks for everyone's input. I believe I'll return the EEL cords and buy a traditional ring connector cord. And I left out a important piece of info - the shore power cord Beneteau supplies with the boat is non-standard as the power connection on the boat is a 50 amp configuration and the dock shore connection is a 30 amp configuration. So, I have to connect the extension at the shore power pedestal on the dock. Goofy configuration for Beneteau to do that.
And yes, we've explored moving to another slip just because of this but none are available that would resolve this issue at the moment.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson101 View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I believe I'll return the EEL cords and buy a traditional ring connector cord. And I left out a important piece of info - the shore power cord Beneteau supplies with the boat is non-standard as the power connection on the boat is a 50 amp configuration and the dock shore connection is a 30 amp configuration. So, I have to connect the extension at the shore power pedestal on the dock. Goofy configuration for Beneteau to do that.
And yes, we've explored moving to another slip just because of this but none are available that would resolve this issue at the moment.
My boat has a 50A/120V connection at the boat. Most marinas have a 30A/120v connector or a 50A/240 connector. So I usually have to use an adaptor which simply makes it what Beneteau already supplied. I would love that cord!

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #14

Just to put a pin in this thread to end it, we ended up being able to find a suitable slip in the same marina where we can back in - much happier with this set up. Thanks for the replies and words of wisdom.