Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Shore power cord length

Considering cutting my 50' 50 amp 250 volt power cord into a 20' and 30' length. Have power inlets at bow and stern now and doubt I will need the 50' length. Dragging the 6/4 50' cable around is a PIA. Wondering how often you would find yourself needing more than 30' on a 45' boat with inlets at both ends? Guess I could connect the 2 cords in a pinch. Opinions?

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
We have a 50' cable and there have been times in harbors we've visited where we've needed all of it. Based on this we would not want a shorter cable. It's easy enough to coil up the excess.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
We use most of 50' frequently on both 30 and 50 amp cords. My credo is when I can no longer easily do the necessary boat labor I'll sell the boat.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Guru

City: gulf coast
I have needed longer than 50' for rare occasions when bow in was better because my connections were only at the stern.
In your case I would indeed cut the cord into more easily manageable lengths. I cant see any downside as long as you can always keep the connector out of the water when using both.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Guru

Was the need for all 50' based on the cord running 2/3rds of the length of the boat before crossing to land? Without side decks running the length of the boat was difficult. So having 2 inlets seem to eliminate the need for length to run down the deck.

Ted
Old 09-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
We use most of 50' frequently on both 30 and 50 amp cords. My credo is when I can no longer easily do the necessary boat labor I'll sell the boat.
My credo is work smart to make life easier. Haven't been anywhere yet where 30' or 20' from one of the inlets wouldn't have reach the power post.

Ted
Old 09-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
Guru

City: West Coast
My boat is 68' LOA and has mid-ship inputs on port and starboard. Often, 25' is enough, sometimes 50' is required, and at least once, 50' has not been long enough. My solution is to have a 25' and a 50' -- covers all the bases.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Considering cutting my 50' 50 amp 250 volt power cord into a 20' and 30' length. Have power inlets at bow and stern now and doubt I will need the 50' length.
Interesting! I'm considering doing the same thing but with one difference....adding a "Smart Plug" connection at both inlets and both cords. I hate the screw on connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart Plug.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	44397  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #9
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I carry a 50' cord. If I had to do it over, two 25's would be better. 90% of the time a 25 would do the job.

So cutting the cord sounds like a decent idea. Just make sure to never drop the connection in the water!!!
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
My boat is 68' LOA and has mid-ship inputs on port and starboard. Often, 25' is enough, sometimes 50' is required, and at least once, 50' has not been long enough. My solution is to have a 25' and a 50' -- covers all the bases.
That was my other option. 25' is 80+% of the cost of 50' cord and really wanted a 30' for bow in docking.

Ted
Old 09-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Interesting! I'm considering doing the same thing but with one difference....adding a "Smart Plug" connection at both inlets and both cords. I hate the screw on connectors.
Wanted to be able to combine both cords in a pinch. Smart plug on both cords wouldn't allow you to combine them. Only real downside to smart plug being different than the power post twist lock. Have thought long and hard about switching to smart plugs though.

Ted
Old 09-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
As long as you are willing to have both a 30' and 20' along with you it is a smart idea. Frankly I carry two 50' cables and have had to use them. I would prefer to have two 25' cables in place of one of my 50' cables for the same reason as the OP.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
That was my other option. 25' is 80+% of the cost of 50' cord and really wanted a 30' for bow in docking.
Your idea is valid because the excess cord is being damaged by the sun. If you can get by with shorter, that sounds about right. I believe Bay Pelican recommended two 50's. So buy a second then whack your original into two pieces, 20' and 30' in length.

That's a wonderful idea. In my opinion that is.

And yes, as a matter of fact I do have two shorter power cables on Seaweed.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
I would prefer to have two 25' cables in place of one of my 50' cables for the same reason as the OP.
If I were going to cut a 50' cable into two pieces, I think I would make them 20' and 30'.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
If I were going to cut a 50' cable into two pieces, I think I would make them 20' and 30'.
I agree!

But in Bay Pelican's case, I inferred that he has to run 2 power cords (2 power inputs), so needs the shorter cables to be the same length.

Ted
Old 09-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Twenty feet of cord would be sufficient at my home berth, but I've used all 50 feet at other berths/docks, so I won't alter it.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #17
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
When we got this boat, I wasn't concerned that it didn't come with the Cablemaster option installed. Hadn't worked with 50-amp shorepower cord before, so didn't realize how much the weight adds up. And of course the bulk is always easily manageable. Not.

First thing we did was dedicate a short cord to our home dock. Don't need to bring it aboard when we travel. That helps a lot.

But we did indeed find places where we needed more than 50'. In our case, partly because our inlet is in the cockpit, port side, which in turn means direction matters... and also because we launch our dinghy off the port side, so prefer starboard side tie-up when possible (direction matters, again). Hasn't happened often, but occasionally enough so that we carry a spare 50' cord... so we have more flexibility in choosing our docking direction.

Eventually we had a Cablemaster retro-fitted. With 65' of cord. Nice. And we still keep the dedicated home slip cord in place, so only about 2" of the cord on the Cablemaster reel is exposed when we're at home.

We've used our extension once, since then -- loaning it to a bud at one of our owners club parties, because his own shorepower pedestal went south for a night.

OTOH, I think back to one of the marinas we stopped at a few years ago... BC (Before Cablemaster)... with mostly inadequate power supplies for our needs. We had to run our cable pair a long distance to reach a working pedestal... and I'd guess we could be faced with having to do that again occasionally, even with the longer cord on the reel.

-Chris
Old 09-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
We've used all 50 and then some quite a few times when cruising the eastern US. We carried two 50 footers anyhow, as the boat has two 50AMP circuits for when we want to go hog wild and have all the AC and appliances on.

I can almost guarantee that as soon as the OP cuts that cord, he will wish he hadn't on the next stop or soon thereafter. I didn't like having to plug my two cords together and carried some plastic tubing from one of the boat yards to cover the connection and tape it up, but still, its anther connection to go wrong.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
I agree!

But in Bay Pelican's case, I inferred that he has to run 2 power cords (2 power inputs), so needs the shorter cables to be the same length.

Ted
If I were cutting a 50' cable I would do the 30' and 20' lengths as it would give more options. The majority of time I have needed to use two cables 70' would have been enough.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Wondering how often you would find yourself needing more than 30' on a 45' boat with inlets at both ends?
Opinions?
Cut it. Like you said, you can just plug the two together. And a 30' and 20' cord are easier to move around on their own that a single 50' is.

You could do something like find another 50' cord with bad ends and cut it back to say 30'. Then you could have two 30' cords on board both of which are easy to move around. But together would give you 60' if you ever need it.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote