ShipModul Mini-Plex 42USB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeD

Vessel Name
Siesta
Vessel Make
Pelin Sterling 36
Hi Guys,

I am in the middle of an electronics upgrade on Siesta, where I am now adding AIS. I have gone with the Vesper XB-8000 transponder and will be installing a tablet computer running OpenCPN via WiFi. This will be in parallel to my Simrad NX-40 which once finished will primarlily be just used as a sounder/fishfinder.

I am looking at the ShipModul Mini-Plex 42USB to multiplex all of the NMEA 0183 signals and then feed the VHF radio(s) and Auto Pilot from that.

The simrad will also act as a backup to OpenCPN for sending data to the autopilot, should there be any problem with the tablet, hence the need to multiplex that data.

Does anyone have any experience with the ShipModul device that I am looking at? Any feed back would be welcome.

I am in the middle of an electronics upgrade on Siesta, where I am now adding AIS. I have gone with the Vesper XB-8000 transponder and will be installing a tablet computer running OpenCPN via WiFi. This will be in parallel to my Simrad NX-40 which once finished will primarlily be just used as a sounder/fishfinder.

I am looking at the ShipModul Mini-Plex 42USB to multiplex all of the NMEA 0183 signals and then feed the VHF radio(s) and Auto Pilot from that.

The 42USB's NMEA inputs are 4800 baud only, and AIS runs at 38400 baud, so I don't think you will be able to multiplex the Vesper with that unit. However the MiniPlex 2USB is configurable to do what you want.

I have the MiniPlex Lite to multiplex 38400 baud AIS and 4800 baud GPS to a USB port on my OpenCPN tablet and it works fine for that, but if you want dynamic routing of sources to your autopilot you'll need the 2USB.

Thanks for the reply.

I will check out the 2USB....

Another product is the Actisense NDC-4-USB. Seems fairly similar to the 2USB although I have not compared in detail. I'm very happy with the Actisense.

I ended up ordering the MiniPlex-2Wi, this has both USB and WiFi. I don't really need the WiFi feature as the Vesper XB-8000 already has this, but that is what they had in stock in NZ.

All the new equipment should be here before the end of the week, so that should keep me busy in the weekend.

Another product is the Actisense NDC-4-USB. Seems fairly similar to the 2USB although I have not compared in detail. I'm very happy with the Actisense.

Thanks Brian, have decided to stick with the ShipModul product as it was ex-stock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom