Ship s bell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aw, such great stories!

There is a bell on our boat, mounted on the starboard side of the flybridge where I suppose one could reach it from the lower helm by opening the door and reaching an arm up, and from the upper helm by leaning over the side a bit. I have rung it a few times for no reason whatsoever. It is a pretty nice bell. We are too small to have to have a bell.

I also have a bell in the saloon that was given to me as a gift from Coyote Point Yacht Club for being the commodore in '09. Maybe we need to start a tradition that you have to ring the bell when you get ice out of the ice maker, since they are next to each other. Make a party out of it.:dance:

We have a nice bronze bell with a monkey fist on the clanger given to us by our boating friends upon our marriage 22 years ago. It has a sentimental inscription on it but its such a frig to keep it polished that we don't bother anymore, so it now has a nice "patina" but one can't see the inscription. We have it mounted in the cockpit on the bulkhead between the door and the flybridge ladder. Never ring it, but it looks salty

Maybe we need to start a tradition that you have to ring the bell when you get ice out of the ice maker, since they are next to each other

Geez, on our boat the bell would be ringing continuously from 4pm yardarm time til whenever dinner was. Maybe there's an iPhone bell ringing app for that so we don't wear ourselves out manually ringing the thing. :D

Geez, on our boat the bell would be ringing continuously from 4pm yardarm time til whenever dinner was. Maybe there's an iPhone bell ringing app for that so we don't wear ourselves out manually ringing the thing. :D

Geez how big is your ice maker. :)

Like Guru, we keep our bell mounted on the mast within easy reach from the fly bridge. It's huge, WAAAY oversize for the boat...probably at least 400mm across the bottom. Never used it in fog, but it looks salty as hell, and I derive a perverse pleasure from ringing it to mark the passage of time as in the old sailing days. Kinda fun to watch other folks in an anchorage shift their cocktail conversation from idle chit chat to asking "what in the devil does 7 bells mean?" Still crazy after all these years.

Geez, on our boat the bell would be ringing continuously from 4pm yardarm time til whenever dinner was.

Man, how things change. 4 pm, huh? :whistling: :nonono: I had to remove the bell on our boat because of a constant rolling of the boat that I covered on another thread.

Last edited:
Mine is more ceremonial than anything else. My bell was dedicated to my dad after he died Feb. 2011. I splashed the boat that summer. He so much wanted to ride on my Sea Ray. So I flew my mom to the PNW to dedicate a small bell engraved with my dad's name and birth and death day. I always ring it 3 times while leaving port to honor my hero.

I also framed this pic and it is on my boat. This was one of the last pictures taken of him before he died.

More goose bumps :-/. Thumbs up to you and your dad old mate!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom