Old 08-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #81
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Failure to keep proper lookout. That's why we need to stay on our toes out there.
Amen. I wonder if you remember the small cruiser that jumped the sea wall in front of Privateer Yacht Club (in Chattanooga) several years ago . . . also in broad daylight. The way I heard it, the guy was running fast, left it on autopilot while he went below (rumors abounded as to why he went below) and the boat veered off course and jumped a wake. The bow buried itself in the bank and the entire craft stuck out 4 or 5 feet over the water . . . it made all the papers. That's my club and we were all grateful and amazed nobody was killed.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #82
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Amen. I wonder if you remember the small cruiser that jumped the sea wall in front of Privateer Yacht Club (in Chattanooga) several years ago . . . also in broad daylight. The way I heard it, the guy was running fast, left it on autopilot while he went below (rumors abounded as to why he went below) and the boat veered off course and jumped a wake. The bow buried itself in the bank and the entire craft stuck out 4 or 5 feet over the water . . . it made all the papers. That's my club and we were all grateful and amazed nobody was killed.
Yeah, I think it barely missed Cecil Pierce's boat. There is some crazy stuff on the lake. Did you know the Morgan brothers and John Wesley? What about Lloyd and Molly Cox. Molly passed away about 4 years ago now.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #83
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Yeah, I think it barely missed Cecil Pierce's boat. There is some crazy stuff on the lake. Did you know the Morgan brothers and John Wesley? What about Lloyd and Molly Cox. Molly passed away about 4 years ago now.
Know or knew them all. John was an institution and very kind to us when we were getting started. I worked with Cecil at the Times. Lloyd's still hanging in there and Molly's sadly missed. My son's a sculptor and is apprenticing with Steve Morgan, learning how to weld. Small world.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #84
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I suppose an auto pilot is convenient, but you're a first class fool and a danger to others if you don't remain at the helm and alert when running on auto pilot. Just the slightest bit of creative thought should warn you that the auto pilot won't avoid hazzards like floating logs and debris and other boats.

As far as operating in close proximity to other boats (something that's unavoidable in certain situations and areas), you need to know the rules, but assume that the other operator may not know the rules. You need a plan and an alternate plan. And an emergency plan.

A boat collision on the water is not like an auto collision on land. You can't get out and walk away from it.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote