Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
One whistle is for the easy thing to do for Americans who drive on the right side of the road, it means to just keep to the right. Two whistles is unusual for us to keep to the left, so it is twice as much effort to blow two whistles. To back up we have to turn around and look so it is much more effort, so three whistles for backing. If you want everyone to know where you are, just blow a long whistle so people will look at you when leaving a place of restricted visibility. And for people to really notice you, just keep blowing your whistle again and again five or more times for the danger signal.

I really appreciate the expert explanations but I can really relate to this as it is put so simply.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
-Jennifer
Pineapple Girl II 1984 PT 35
San Francisco Bay Area
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
City: Louisville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'm pretty sure CH 13 is only one watt so it should interfere with very little that's not nearby.....as it was designed for.
Dooh, you're right, 1 watt, sorry. Something tells me that some of those tows are putting out a little more than 1 watt, it must be antenna height involved.
__________________

David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #23
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
On the Atlantic and I'm sure the Gulf intracoastal waterway, if you keep ch 13 , even ch 16 you will get calls quite often about passing boats. The experienced boaters and/or the ones with captains licenses are likely to use the whistle signal radio call...but often they know the rec boater in front or whtaever doesn't really understand so they will use the layman's method....

In the years we've been boating out here (PNW) I can't recall ever hearing anyone give a passing or meeting call of any kind on 16. The one constant exception is the BC ferries that call when entering Active Pass in the Gulf Islands and ask for responses from potential conflicting traffic. Active Pass is narrow and has a dogleg in the middle of it so you can't see through it from either end.

The commercial vessels going to and from Seattle, Tacoma, and Vancouver using the VTS systems are in communication with each other about what they're doing or going to be doing.

But other than "How's the fishing?" "Where are the whales?" "Where to you want to meet for dinner tonight?" and "I think I see you over there just past the point Joe," the radio is pretty much silent as far as recreational boat chatter is concerned. And nobody--- and I mean NOBODY---- uses their horns up here. The ferries blow during the day when they leave a slip but they don't blow after dark and they don't blow when overtaking or meeting you.

Everyone just meets or passes however they want and it all seems to work. Of course there's more room in most places than you might have on the intracoastal waterways and not the density of traffic but even in our narrow passes nobody says or whistles a thing in a passing situation. The fishermen fishing at the entrances sometimes light up the radio about some plowing boat's wake but that's about it.

Must be that lawless, "do you feel lucky, punk?" attitude we all have out here in Indian Territory.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In the years we've been boating out here (PNW) I can't recall ever hearing anyone give a passing or meeting call of any kind on 16. The one constant exception is the BC ferries that call when entering Active Pass in the Gulf Islands and ask for responses from potential conflicting traffic. Active Pass is narrow and has a dogleg in the middle of it so you can't see through it from either end.

The commercial vessels going to and from Seattle, Tacoma, and Vancouver using the VTS systems are in communication with each other about what they're doing or going to be doing.

But other than "How's the fishing?" "Where are the whales?" "Where to you want to meet for dinner tonight?" and "I think I see you over there just past the point Joe," the radio is pretty much silent as far as recreational boat chatter is concerned. And nobody--- and I mean NOBODY---- uses their horns up here. The ferries blow during the day when they leave a slip but they don't blow after dark and they don't blow when overtaking or meeting you.

Everyone just meets or passes however they want and it all seems to work. Of course there's more room in most places than you might have on the intracoastal waterways and not the density of traffic but even in our narrow passes nobody says or whistles a thing in a passing situation. The fishermen fishing at the entrances sometimes light up the radio about some plowing boat's wake but that's about it.

Must be that lawless, "do you feel lucky, punk?" attitude we all have out here in Indian Territory.
I once had a 1/2 hour chat with Mr. Eastwood about helicopters...he doesn't toot his horn either!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #25
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,560
Dave (Magicbus), #13 above, quotes rules for sound signals to signify which side of the boat ahead you intend to pass. Those signals are identical with maneuvering signals, eg 1 blast (I will leave you to port) equates to "I am turning to starboard", which is what you are doing.
Thus the signal, and directional change,are consistent with what we already do,and should present no issue. Why tow skippers use numerical language escapes me, I can see what they want to convey, it might be easier if they just said "pass on my starboard (or port) side", but if everyone understands (doubtful in view of this thread) it should work.
Hope that`s right,I`m not usually dyslectic. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Dave (Magicbus), #13 above, quotes rules for sound signals to signify which side of the boat ahead you intend to pass. Those signals are identical with maneuvering signals, eg 1 blast (I will leave you to port) equates to "I am turning to starboard", which is what you are doing.
Thus the signal, and directional change,are consistent with what we already do,and should present no issue. Why tow skippers use numerical language escapes me, I can see what they want to convey, it might be easier if they just said "pass on my starboard (or port) side", but if everyone understands (doubtful in view of this thread) it should work.
Hope that`s right,I`m not usually dyslectic. BruceK
Your assumption of a turn is incorrect..in international rules, whistle signals convey turning..in inland they do not..they only convey which side of your boat you will leave the other on.

The whistle signals have been around for awhile and time tested. better to learn them they way they are intended than make up your own version or wish they said/did something different.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #27
Guru
 
Steve's Avatar
 
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,605
You can practice too, while shopping and "meeting" or "passing" people pushing shopping carts down the aisles think to yourself "on the one whistle or on the two whistle" and do it.
Don't say it out loud or they may have the guy's in white coats looking for you.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #28
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
I think of it as syllables. Pass or meeting you you on my starboard side---2 syllables---2 whistles.

Passing you or meeting you on my port side---1 syllable---1 whistle.

Not the way it is stated in the rules just an easy way to remember I learned years ago.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #29
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
One whistle is for the easy thing to do for Americans who drive on the right side of the road, it means to just keep to the right. Two whistles is unusual for us to keep to the left, so it is twice as much effort to blow two whistles. To back up we have to turn around and look so it is much more effort, so three whistles for backing. If you want everyone to know where you are, just blow a long whistle so people will look at you when leaving a place of restricted visibility. And for people to really notice you, just keep blowing your whistle again and again five or more times for the danger signal.
Got it covered. Note whistle controller to the right of the searchlight's joystick:

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #30
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Got it covered. Note whistle controller to the right of the searchlight's joystick:

How do it know?
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
magicbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I think of it as syllables. Pass or meeting you you on my starboard side---2 syllables---2 whistles.

Passing you or meeting you on my port side---1 syllable---1 whistle.

Not the way it is stated in the rules just an easy way to remember I learned years ago.
That's how I remember it too. Our boating safety instructor taught us that way and it works for me.

Dave
__________________
Barnegat Light NJ or Nantucket MA
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #32
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
That's how I remember it too. Our boating safety instructor taught us that way and it works for me.

Dave

only for inland rules though...unless it gets complicated again...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #33
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
How do it know?
Eenie, meenie, miny, moe; pick a button ...
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #34
TF Site Team
 
dwhatty's Avatar
 
City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Eenie, meenie, miny, moe; pick a button ...

And when you push them all at the same time?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #35
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Where's the ejection seat button and the self destruct button?
__________________
BEN'S BOAT BLOG

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #36
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Where's the ejection seat button and the self destruct button?
Haven't thought that far ahead.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #37
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
So who displays a black ball when anchored in the daytime?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #38
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In the years we've been boating out here (PNW) I can't recall ever hearing anyone give a passing or meeting call of any kind on 16. .......
On the Atlantic ICW in my area, calling on channel 16 for overtaking is common for the larger boats, at least the ones where the operator has been boating a while. Not so much the sportfish or the guy with the brand new 40' sportcruiser who has the money but not the experience.

On my cruise from SC to FL and back just about every boat that wanted to overtake me called and arranged a pass on channel 16. I didn't overtake anybody.

Meeting is a different story, usually it's just keep to starboard. If it's a wide open area and port seems better based on the position of the boats, there's still no verbal or other communication, just the position and angle of th boats.

Smaller boats, bow riders and center consoles don't follow the rules. They just go where they want to and dart between the larger boats. A horn signal results in a "finger" signal.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #39
Guru
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,716
All towboat traffic switches to 16 from 13 west of Galveston in the ICW. Go ahead and argue that it's illegal, improper, etc. all you want, but that's how it's done, and the USCG hears it every day and participates as well.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #40
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
All towboat traffic switches to 16 from 13 west of Galveston in the ICW. Go ahead and argue that it's illegal, improper, etc. all you want, but that's how it's done, and the USCG hears it every day and participates as well.
When the commercial boats and ships around here issue a sÚcuritÚ call, they do it on channel 16 and then repeat it on channel 13.

Don't the rules require boats (even commercial boats) to at least monitor channel 16 at all times?
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012