Second GPS for fly needed,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Good afternoon, I just acquired at Tolly the lower helm has at really nice Garmin 4210 radar/GPS chartplotter, new 2011. However the fly is without anything other than depth. I would use a computer but the screen gets washed out with bright light and not very weather resistant. Does Garmin make a slave screen? If I purchase a stand alone unit such as the Garmin 740S will that network so I can pull in my radar with my lower unit? There is a depth/fish finder and I saw Garmin offers a tool to tap into that information. Has anyone used such an animal? Is it reliable data or should I just abandon the old depth/fish finder and use the hole for a new transducer? Also I need new VHF upper and lower. Anyone have any experience with Garmins? Are there other models that you prefer, looking for a hailer, and fog repeater as we are traveling to areas where fog can be very unpredictable. Also as a side note, hand held VHF to carry on our life vest, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been out of the electronics end of the marine business for quite sometime and could use some help. Thanks much!

Also for those interested heres a link to the new vessel,
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...urrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=988&url=

Last edited:
I have a 4210 Garmin at the helm and a Garmin (something) networked to it on the upper helm, they work great together. I'm sure you can find a suitable unit to network to the main unit, it's easy and all plug and play, just provide power to the upper unit and plug in the network cable and done.

There are some Garmin product that will interface directly through your Garmin network, just plug them in and they are plug and play. But some are not directly compatible and have to, kind of link, using a NMEA 0183 connection.

If you go to the Garmin home site, click below and choose the "support" tab, you can download all the manuals and ask questions directly to a Garmin tech.

They can help you identify a network compatible Garmin upper station unit. It does look like the Garmin 740S supports NMEA 2000 networking, but I would confirm that with Garmin before buying one.

Product Support Page}

Last edited:
My iPad with Navionics on it works so well up on the flybridge as GPS, I would never bother with a permanently mounted one again. The heat and damp/humidity etc is hell on electrics. I had to replace the sonar up there recently also, but I can quickly disconnect it to take below for at-the-berth storage, and the iPad similarly.
I have permanently mounted Lowrance GPS & sonar downstairs. That's where I prefer to drive from in any but fair weather anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom