Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #1

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Satellite TV

If you are, what type of satelitte TV/Cable systems are you running and what are the costs involved ie. equipment, provider and cost of installation.

knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Been running Directv for about 12 years now at home and on the boat. Just using home type equipment. Haven't broken down yet and purchased a KV style tracking system. Generally only use the Sat. system when at the dock, so no issue with using a manual dish. Had a spare dish and bought a second receiver, I think it's like an extra $6 per month for the extra receiver service on my home Directv account.

Some day I suppose I'll break down and purchase a tracking system. But I really don't know why?? I guess it will look cool on the mast!!
Larry B

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Guru

I have a small kvh system When I bought it there was a $200 rebate Tolal cost was around $1800 Easy install myself got hooked up as an extra room from a friend of mine for $6 a monthe works well even in the bahamas
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I have an older KVH Direct TV sattelite receiver system. It is an M2 and doesn't do HD and its sattelites may be phased out over time. Cost of equipment is a low of $2,000 upwards.

Installation is fairly straightforward. Mount the satellite dome in a good place and run the coax down to the receiver. Run a 12V power source to the receiver and plug it into a TV. On my boat I didn't do a permanent installation, I just take it up on deck and put it in a place that has a view to the south. Takes 2-3 minutes to set up.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We have direct TV mounted on a 4' X 4' plywood so its moveable for the last 14 years. Can not use while under way, but re aliening at the dock is easy. I been thinking about up grading to HD.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Guru

the kvh system I installed is the small one and does work underway But I suspect in big seas it would have a hard time keeping up. A couple of times while travelling the ICW i could get no FM radio recepection Just tuned to one of many direct TV music channels I am a full time live aboard so I it well worth it to me
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Guru

Been using either DirecTV or Dish for about 8 years It depends on which gives me a better deal when the contract renews. Your cost will depend on what programming and options you choose so visit their websites for pricing. On both of our boats we have used the Track-It system with a standard dish. We have HD with Direct right now. It works at the dock or at anchor but not under way. Who watches while under way? Have a look at this post on our blog, The Trawler Beach House: Work, Work, Work . Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #8

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Thanks, I have been doing some research also and the KVH systems are pricey. I do like the track-it although it's not as clean of an installation vice a round dome but the price is right. I do not have a need for TV but the Admiral does and we know how that goes. Chuck I like the way you installed your unit on the rear upper deck.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Guru

There are lots of pics of the dish mounting on the blog. Here is one from the stern..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beach House Panther Key.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	13119
Old 09-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Sat TV is fine , but folks that just want to keep up might consider XM radio.

Many alternate views , left and right , and endless music can be fun.

One advantage of a TV set with only local coverage is the weather guesser is closer to your actual location , and perhaps will give a better forecast than a nation wide forecast.

"Why check the weather? were going anyway " is no longer the motto when boat cruising.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Guru

Many of us have satellite TV but we also have an air antenna aboard. Access to local channels for news and weather, etc. is just a matter of pushing a button. The local radar is a good resource and many local TV stations have a dedicated digital channel that just broadcasts weather info and radar. We use this all the time, but there are many times when you are too far away to pick up local stations. So it's not a question of either or. Most of us have both without expensive equipment. Chuck
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Margaritaville
Vessel Model: Wittholz 40 Passage
I'm new to the forums but I couldn't help for the fun of it to post how we did it in the early days of DTV.
I bought an old Autohelm wheel pilot at the Big Pine Fleemarket for 15 bucks, mounted the dish on an old helm chair swivel and presto: Direct TV while on the hook in Boot Key Harbor, in 1998.... LOL...

Old 09-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #13

City: WA
When we bought our boat about two years ago, it came with an almost new Sea Tel satellite antenna. We have no use for TV on the boat (and not much at home either). We had some mast work done recently and removed the antenna.

(It's for sale at Second Wave in Seattle if anyone is interested.)
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Capt Joe:

Rube Golberg would have been proud of you!!

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #15

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
I am fortunate to have good cell phone service in LaConner, WA. This allows me to use a 'slingbox' to get access to my home cable on my phone, which I connect to a 24" TV on my boat.

Cost $99.00 for the Slingbox. $29.00 for the App for my iPhone. No continual service fees.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I have a 360 VHF antenna mounted on my mast and a $30 digital converter box and a flat screen TV mounted from the ceiling in the main salon. I can pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX as well as several other channels. I've picked up the local station in Jacksonville FL from as far away as Charleston SC. In marinas they usually give away the local stations if you have a cable to hook it up. But I guess you guys know that already.

My main entertainment investment has been in Sattelite Radio. I like to have Outlaw Country playing when I am driving for 10 hours straight.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #17
FF
Guru

For those that enjoy humor , cruising during local election times , local TV produces some adds that are FANTASTIC!!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
When we purchased our boat it had a "Follow Me TV" dish setup. Being a cheap bastard, I am not a fan of monthly fees. We removed the dish equipment and installed a Shakespeare Seawatch digital TV antenna. The setup cost $160. I get 5 stations 40 mile south of Baltimore. When I am within 20 miles I pick up 55 stations all crystal clear. It supports my needs on the Chesapeake.

Dave
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Being a cheap bastard, I am not a fan of monthly fees.
Dave
Dave, you and I have a lot in common

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
We get two channels over the air on the boat (PBS and CBS). We don't watch CBS. Don't have satellite. This season we didn't even turn on the boat TV. When we are on the boat we want to get away from TV and Internet. Geez, I sound like Marin?

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote