Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
We get two channels over the air on the boat (PBS and CBS). We don't watch CBS. Don't have satellite. This season we didn't even turn on the boat TV. When we are on the boat we want to get away from TV and Internet. Geez, I sound like Marin?
I agree, to Heck with TV. But I do like to see what the local news and weather man say at 11:00, if I'm still awake. I happened to be watching TV in Titusville FL and found out that the Mars Discovery was taking off from the Cape the next morning at 10:02AM, and we saw it take off. It was a good thing, but I agree that getting away from all the BS on TV is a good idea and is a big part of why we boat.

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #22

City: Marysville, Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We have a KVH on our boat and use Direct TV. On a trip from Puget Sound to Alaska we watched TV whenever we wanted unless we we in a small bay with very high mountains, which was only two times in five months.

Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
We have a KVH on our boat and use Direct TV. On a trip from Puget Sound to Alaska we watched TV whenever we wanted unless we we in a small bay with very high mountains, which was only two times in five months.
How exactly were you able to avoid small bays with high mountains? I thought that described 90% of the anchorages along the inside passage. When I was running Scorpius back and forth, a big consideration for the nights anchorages was the availability of sat service for the Admiral, and quite a few were eliminated. Here in Juneau, we get several over the air HD channels, and also have a huge dish mounted on the piling. Underway, it's sat radio....Arctic Traveller
Old 09-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
One thing to be aware of that was brought to our attention by our marine electronics shop a few months ago..... There are a couple of kinds of tracking (KVH-type) systems available. One is relatively inexpensive, the other one is not. In this area and farther north, the inexpensive version cannot pick up very many satellites and the farther north you go the worse it gets. The expensive system, on the other hand, can pick up the necessary satellites even up north.

Our inquiry was casual so I don't recall the specific brands involved. He carries two of them, one being KVH itself. It is the other one, which is considerably less expensive, that has the reception problem in northern areas.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In this area and farther north, the inexpensive version cannot pick up very many satellites and the farther north you go the worse it gets. The expensive system, on the other hand, can pick up the necessary satellites even up north.
As you get further North, the satellites are lower on the horizon and are further away, requiring an antenna (dish) that's physically larger and has higher gain (more expensive). The largest KVH antenna is usually required for reliable operation in Alaska, although I've had reasonable reception with a mid sized one. At the dock, we have a huge dish mounted on the pilings, much larger than what you see down South............Arctic Traveller
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #26

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
[QUOTE=Marin;104618]There are a couple of kinds of tracking (KVH-type) systems available. One is relatively inexpensive, the other one is not.

Marin could you elaborate on that? What is the less expensive one?

Thanks
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
I don't remember. As I recall the less expensive system that is not very effective up the coast cost about $2,000 . The system that does work up the coast (KVH) costs twice that or more. We're at the boat this weekend and if I remember I'll look into Jerry's front office where he had the systems displayed. Perhaps that will jog my memory.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #28
FF
Guru

For under a grand there are sat following systems that will follow the satelite azmuth , while at anchor and swinging about..

For 2x to 4x the bucks the better setups will follow the sat elevation and azmuth , fast enough to operate underway .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #29
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
If you subscribe to a Sat provider at home, your boat is the cost of the dish/receiver/cables/tv + $5 or $6 per month as a second room. I use Shaw Direct, which does HD and, for a Canadian, permits international travel. The receiver/dish was $99. for the second set. I haven't actually set it up on the boat yet, as the dish looks far too big to actually fit comfortably, out of the way, inconspicuously, and we didn't get organized in time for the Olympics anyway, so it will go to the Motorhome for the winter, and may just stay there.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA / Waterford, CT
Vessel Name: Change of Latitude
Vessel Model: 2005 GB 42 Classic
Our boat came with an 18 inch Sea Tel satellite system with Dish TV. It is mounted high on our mast, above our radar. While we seldom use it, except for sports and Seattle weather when we are in the San Juans or to catch up on news when in the wilderness of the BC coast for awhile, it has worked reliably from Bellingham to Juneau, at anchor and underway. It always amazes us, getting reception along the BC coast and in Alaska.

The two exceptions are when we are anchored close to a high mountain to the south (as in Culpepper Lagoon in Fjordlands, BC) or when we are docked and the mast blocks the signal to the South. When docked to the North, it needs to be at least 10 degrees off of the angle between the mast and the satellite. Just our experiences, perhaps not those of everyone.

Cheers,

Don
djleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
YA, ya think so eh?