Satellite Compass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Finally getting one. The main reasons for getting one, were a) HDG data that isn't deviated by electromagnetic fields and b) HDG accuracy. I currently have a maretron SSC200 which is going to act as backup. The SSC-200 is very sensitive and effected but the slightest interference which cause me grief. Mainly the boat on the plotter no facing the direction it should be, which is crucial for things like ARPA and overlay.

The unit I chose is rebranded by True Heading but is made by Hemisphere GNSS. I chose the MKII model which is the most accurate with a heading accuracy of 0.3 degrees and a position accuracy of up to 0.3 Meters. It's no cheap piece at ~$2300 but it'll give me what I want. Once we get back to the states I'll be putting the order in, and once I get her and hook her up I will report back. Hopefully with good news. BTW it's N2K too.
Vector MKII - True Heading

Wow, I need to get used to proof reading that's one clump of grammatical failure. Grrr....

Peter, yes I'm also looking Forward. My simple way to control which HDG source the IFNMEA uses will be a simple DPST switch inline on in the N2k cable going to the SSC, which will control the positive and negative wires.

Really like the unit, but can't understand why they choose to have those external cable connections and NMEA adapter. Should be a sealed unit with a cable coming out the bottom like most GPS mushroom shaped antennas.

Ted

Wow, I need to get used to proof reading that's one clump of grammatical failure. Grrr....

Peter, yes I'm also looking Forward. My simple way to control which HDG source the IFNMEA uses will be a simple DPST switch inline on in the N2k cable going to the SSC, which will control the positive and negative wires.

I see, so you just power down the SSC200 when not needed? That will work. Just remember to test it periodically to be sure it still works :)

What am I missing here? Why is a satellite compass needed? I'd really like to know as I have never been satisfied with the old Ritchie alcohol products. I've been using an Azimuth 1000 for years and it's the best compass I've ever seen. Please fill me in as to your need for the SC. (Satellite Compass)

Azimuth 1000

Attachments

• Azimuth.jpg
    Azimuth.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 327
What am I missing here? Why is a satellite compass needed? I'd really like to know as I have never been satisfied with the old Ritchie alcohol products. Azimuth 1000[/URL]

From an analog perspective, the Ritchie may be best, but autopilot and radar overlay perform best with highly accurate digital data. That said, I spent a bunch of $$$ on a Furuno SC100 and have concluded that it was not worth the investment. 0.5 degree heading accuracy isn't much better than 1.0 degree accuracy. And of course 5 years later, the technology has improved to the point that the same (actually much better) performance can be had for much less.

Last edited:
What am I missing here? Why is a satellite compass needed? I'd really like to know as I have never been satisfied with the old Ritchie alcohol products. I've been using an Azimuth 1000 for years and it's the best compass I've ever seen. Please fill me in as to your need for the SC. (Satellite Compass)

Azimuth 1000

Its certainly not needed, but does offer some advantages. What comes to mind is:

- It can put out true heading. For certain IMO compliant, a true heading is required. This is true (no pun intended) for IMO radars and for Class A AIS devices. It might be required for other devices as well.

- It isn't susceptible to magnetic interference. I think this is what pushed Oliver over the edge. I know he had trouble finding a location for his rate compass that was not being afftected by interference from one thing or another. I have struggled with this too.

- They are generally more accurate than a rate compass.

- They are not affected by external magnetic anomalies.

- They work near the poles where a magnetic compass is not particularly useful.

You get to decide whether you care about any of this.

Really like the unit, but can't understand why they choose to have those external cable connections and NMEA adapter. Should be a sealed unit with a cable coming out the bottom like most GPS mushroom shaped antennas.

Ted

Yeah neither do I, but I'll deal with it. I believe they're mini SC is the way you described.

Azimuth 1000

See Peters response. It's 100% my reasoning. Our boat is a power hog and has wire running every which way. Like when crossing the GS at night I realized my UW lights were affecting the compass because the wire runs near it ( 4ft away and a fiberglass bulkhead in between it.). Also same with the water heater.

She arrived today, ooo it's so pretty! It's missing the 0183 to N2k adapter so I will contact Jason at True Heading tomorrow about getting one.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429568025.435604.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429568051.447907.jpg

I have a compass app on my iPhone. How does that work? Seems pretty darn accurate.

You think it's accurate, set it on the table then put something metallic near it. Now how accurate is it?

OK, I put metal next to it and nothing changes. Here's a screen shot. It gives direction, lat/long, city and state and elevation. How cool is that? And it's free.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 80
OK, I put metal next to it and nothing changes. Here's a screen shot. It gives direction, lat/long, city and state and elevation. How cool is that? And it's free.

Guess mines special. My direct TV remote effects it.

Not surprised. Everything on a Nordy is special! We have Dish Network, maybe that's it.

Not surprised. Everything on a Nordy is special! We have Dish Network, maybe that's it.

Lmao, it's definitely because it's a dish network remote. Might be that Manson up on the bow too..?:hide:

We also have a Manson. We might both have the right anchor despite your having the wrong remote.

We also have a Manson. We might both have the right anchor despite your having the wrong remote.

I was talking about you! I have the right anchor (oversized Rocna with all chain rode) and right remote.

You put a Rocna on the bow of a Nordy? Well at least you got the chain right so there is hope. :dance:

Boys, Boys, behave yourselves. We'll have no anchor talk in this thread.

Buuut he started it!!!!!

Don't make me send you to your room.

Pleeease send me to my room. The peace and quiet will be welcomed. Besides I'm writing a book "Anchors for Dummies." I will give Oliver an autographed copy. :angel:

You know as I typed that, I knew it was a mistake. Sending guys with computers to their room is no punishment.

Who brings computers to their rooms these days? :socool:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429666387.189301.jpg

Oliver wins, he has the best toys.

Yep, I think he does.

Yep, and the real anchors too.

attachment.php

These do trump even the largest of Rocna's. Also I'd like to thank Hurricane Wilma for bending those, it did prove they had what it took.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom